Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
Lefty hippy types typically make out like Buddhists can do no wrong ...
I have never encountered such a person and I can't say anything about your experiences. In the last few weeks however I've seen a large number of conservatives and assorted islamophobes describing Burmese Buddhists as being praiseworthy pacifists in comments to articles about ostensibly Buddhist soldiers and civilians participating in ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity. They're spoken of as brave and principled defenders of nation and culture from invading Muslims who've forced the Buddhists to take decisive action before it's too late. At best they'll say something to the effect of, "Look what those Muslims made the Buddhists do!" The west is encouraged to learn from these heroes and deport its Muslims before it's too late. Confronted with evidence of Buddhists committing atrocities on a huge scale, a naive leftist might resort to the time-honoured "no true Scotsman" defense. In contrast, private citizens on the right in both the west and in India are increasingly coming out in support of the view that a TRUE Scotsman uses ethnic cleansing, rape, torture, murder, theft and arson in defense of his nation and his fantasy of a homogenous society. The latter is immeasurably worse, and it sickens me to see how common these comments are becoming in response to increasing social tolerance for Islamophobia.