Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: An institutional revolution in North Carolina

At this point, it's only a matter of time before some state cancels an election result.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    At this point, it's only a matter of time before some state cancels an election result.
    Voter Nullification is a very real and dangerous possibility! Since the RNC/GOP obviously cares more about power than democracy....and "bipartisanship" is practically a joke....what do you think can/should be done?

Depressing thread about Republicans' desperate struggle to turn Texas into even more of a third-world hellhole:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Dunno how accurate the specific numbers are, but this is shithole country stuff:

That's mostly accurate, but Democrats did far worse than Biden in 2021.

I'm curious if it means they're abandoning the idea of focusing on creating super-safe seats the way they and the Dems had been doing. Or if the new algorithms are actually allowing them to both keep the seats at uncompetitive levels AND still dominate the state like that? Not much the Dems can do about it either way. SCOTUS certainly isn't going to uphold any new legislation restricting the state legislatures in their redistricting. I have to wonder if the current court would even be willing to uphold the precedent of Baker vs Carr.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Dunno how accurate the specific numbers are, but this is shithole country stuff:

I'm not sure why presidential voting margin matters because we're talking about legislative districts, but a more accurate way might be to see how each district voted in 2020. Then again, I think most would/should heavily dispute the idea that the "fairness" of their local representative districts (who are elected every two years) should be evaluated based on the ratio of votes in a national presidential election (which happens every four years).

Historically (at least until recently) it was not uncommon for people to split votes between parties on a single ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Historically (at least until recently) it was not uncommon for people to split votes between parties on a single ballot.
    People overstated how much that happened historically, and it's happening even less frequently today. I forget the exact numbers, but the correlation between how someone votes in state and national elections is something like 0.95. Previous figures were misleading because there were a lot of southerners who voted for Democrats locally but for Republicans nationally. Not because they were non-partisan, but because that's what made the most sense from a segregationist point of view.

What about dem der northern Republicans? I think it's more a consequence of the parties being more ideologically heterogeneous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    What about dem der northern Republicans? I think it's more a consequence of the parties being more ideologically heterogeneous.
    There's currently 1 Republican senator in a consistently Democratic state (Maine).

The reprobates in the TX legislature just can't seem to get democracy right: