Thread: An institutional revolution in North Carolina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And more than 80% of southern voters supported Jim Crow. I didn't realize this was a popularity contest.
    Getting people to use ID they already have is exactly like segregation yes.

You live in a crazy world of denial where you think it is perfectly normal to need ID to commute, travel, buy alcohol or over the counter medicine or buy a film but to use it to vote is the same thing as segregation laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It's a comment on the problems with the argument used. 80% support is impressive, but but I don't believe support is anywhere near that high among those who don't have valid photo ID. The high level of support doesn't automatically negate the problems--if anything, it is partly a reflection of those problems. Dread's position may be consistent. He wasn't a big fan of how marriage equality came about, for example. And no doubt he would have liked to see the US do away with the electoral college as well as congress, given the low approval for both those institutions

Jim Crow is of course a comparison that immediately leaps to mind not simply because it was despicable but also because of how these laws are deliberately being used to reduce the influence black people have in elections, along with gerrymandering as well as more blatant suppression tactics.

You live in a crazy world of denial where you think it is perfectly normal to need ID to commute, travel, buy alcohol or over the counter medicine or buy a film but to use it to vote is the same thing as segregation laws.
    I don't need ID to commute. ID for travelling may be a requirement from private companies and from the country to which I'm travelling, but I don't need an ID in order to travel within my own country. Alcohol is an excellent example of a non-essential product that can be obtained with the help of other people if one can't obtain it on one's own (and, let's face it, many people can get booze without ID). Someone can buy OTC medications for me. I don't need to buy or rent films, but if I really wanted one I could ask someone to get it for me. Most importantly, I don't need photo ID to participate in the democratic process and try to ensure that my views and needs receive adequate consideration from my legislators. And on those occasions when I may find myself inconvenienced by not having ID I know that there was no evil intent behind the requirement, which cannot be said for many Republican districts.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

You don't need an id to commute, you don't need one to travel in the US (unless you're flying and plenty don't fly, particularly among the marginal population we're talking about), you don't REALLY need one to buy alcohol or over the counter medicine, and who needs an id to buy a film?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"