Thread: Croatian teenager wakes up from a coma speaking fluent GERMAN

Arrow Croatian teenager wakes up from a coma speaking fluent GERMAN

Croatian doctors are baffled after a teenage girl who fell into a mysterious coma woke up speaking fluent German.

The parents of the 13-year-old from the southern town of Knin said their daughter had only just started studying German at school and had been trying to read German books and watch German television - but had never been that good in German.

But since waking up the teenager has been unable to speak Croatian and even refused it, but communicates only in perfect German far superior to her mastery of the language she had when she was taken ill.

Split's KB Hospital director Dujomir Marasovic said they were still trying to find out what caused the mysterious coma and why the girl has apparently forgotten how to speak Croatian.

Marasovic added: 'You never know when recovering from such a trauma how the brain will react. Obviously we have some theories although at the moment we are limited in what we can say because we have to respect the privacy of the patient.'

He said the condition was so unusual that numerous doctors have examined the 13-year-old including German-speaking doctors to try and get to the bottom of the mystery.

Nurse Marika Lenovic, 28, said: 'The case has attracted a lot of interest, not just among the media but also among medical professionals.'

The girl is still being cared for at the hospital and is receiving regular visits from her family although there has reportedly been a large degree of frustration at the fact that they can no longer communicate with each other.

Hospital staff have even had to use an interpreter to translate the teenager's words to her family although apparently when they speak to her in Croatian she does understand - but she cannot respond in anything other than German.

Psychiatric expert dr Mijo Milas who has been involved in the case said: 'In earlier times this would have been referred to as a miracle, we prefer to think that there must be a logical explanation - its just that we haven't found it yet.

'There are references to cases where people who have been seriously ill and perhaps in a coma have woken up being able to speak other languages - sometimes even the Biblical languages such as that spoken in old Babylon or Egypt - at the moment though any speculation would remain just that - speculation - so it's better to continue tests until we actually know something.'

The teenager was only in the coma for 24 hours, and it's thought it may have been prompted by extremely high body temperature.
    link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...#ixzz0kzCWtJvK

both intriguing and peculiar, but rather sad and emotional for teen and parents
    your thoughts? post on

Didn't this happen in Lost recently?
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

From Knin? She speaks fluently because she actually grew up in Germany while her parents worked on jewelry heists.

Finally, proof that brain damage causes German.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Is that a WW2 joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897 View Post
    Is that a WW2 joke?
    As it was a note from Cain...more likely a dig at a certain German on these here threads...

Filthy Schwein, Sie ruinieren meinen Spaß

rubber/glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    As it was a note from Cain...more likely a dig at a certain German on these here threads...
    No, just the first thing that came to mind when I read the article. Though, if it does cause Khen to stroke out, that would tickle me just right.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

No shit!! I can't believe someone in Germany could speak fluent German.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    No, just the first thing that came to mind when I read the article. Though, if it does cause Khen to stroke out, that would tickle me just right.
    Pshaw. As if such a weak joke would even make my mouth corners twitch.

I mean, stuff like this is more like a sign that German is the universal language of the brain and the rest of you are just to stubborn to admit it, and thus continue to gabble in this hideous language you call English.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    No shit!! I can't believe someone in Germany could speak fluent German.
    Did I miss Croatia being annexed by Germany again?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Pshaw. As if such a weak joke would even make my mouth corners twitch.

I mean, stuff like this is more like a sign that German is the universal language of the brain and the rest of you are just to stubborn to admit it, and thus continue to gabble in this hideous language you call English.
    Or maybe a large portion of English is just based off German?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Did I miss Croatia being annexed by Germany again?
    Well, you know Germans and summertime, it's annex this, invade that, they'll slow down in the winter snows again
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Well, you know Germans and summertime, it's annex this, invade that, they'll slow down in the winter snows again
    Yeah! Next up: Finland.

Will be easy since they already know the drill.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There's no Reich like the Third Reich!

*whistles Erika*
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.