Thread: True Confessions

Default True Confessions

The "cloud" scares me. So much stuff is being sent/stored there, without any protective parameters, it makes me afraid of technology in general. Amazon was recently served a search warrant for their Echo digital assistant, for a murder case. Even if they don't have to legally comply, the whole thing freaks me out. We've invited technology into our lives, on so many levels, but haven't taken the necessary precautions to protect ourselves. WTF is wrong with us?

This Amazon Echo case is interesting! Have to read more...

I think there are ways to shape what you put into the cloud but clearly persistent data collection such as these assistants and other voice-activated services represent a newly-visible element of data collection.

What "shapes" do you mean? And how would they make cloud computing "more safe" when the goal is collecting metadata?

Cloud computer is NOT safer. You have no control over security; how, what, and when they implement security measures, and who is / are handling implementation. Don't forget you're transmitting data over the air, or over copper, which can be intercepted.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Please. The*only "safe" computer is the one who is turned off, encased*in 1 meter of concrete, at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    Cloud computer is NOT safer. You have no control over security; how, what, and when they implement security measures, and who is / are handling implementation. Don't forget you're transmitting data over the air, or over copper, which can be intercepted.
    Well, it generally is safer in the sense that it can be stored in several places also geographically, making it a lot harder to lose any data altogether (with most you can even easily access old versions or deleted files), which is why we use cloud storage. Of course completely different type of safety, but can be important too.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Well, it generally is safer in the sense that it can be stored in several places also geographically, making it a lot harder to lose any data altogether (with most you can even easily access old versions or deleted files), which is why we use cloud storage. Of course completely different type of safety, but can be important too.
    I'm not talking about data loss, I mean security as in hacking and / or theft of data.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    Yeah, the CIA's gonna tap into the internet backbone or whatever the fuck to intercept the holiday snaps you put on dropbox.

There's such a thing as a reasonable level of security compared to the sensitivity of the data you're storing, you know.

Just because there's a theoretical attack that could get at your data that doesn't mean it's insecure. It's like saying your house is insecure because someone could get a tank and blow up the front door.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The "cloud" scares me.
    I put nothing there.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Please. The*only "safe" computer is the one who is turned off, encased*in 1 meter of concrete, at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
    Hardly.You just preserved it perfectly for anyone who cares to make the, admittedly extraordinary, effort to retrieve it. No, you have to put it on a rocket and fire it into the sun. Then it will be safe.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Yeah, the CIA's gonna tap into the internet backbone or whatever the fuck to intercept the holiday snaps you put on dropbox.
    Thats exactly what Room 641A was for...

ATT still has an active, and voluntary, $10 million a year contract with the CIA to share data thats transmitted over its network (meaning its not restricted to only ATT customers).
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Then why should I feel "safe" in any computer transaction? I recently signed up for Amazon Prime, because I had a coupon that gave me holiday discounted prices....but it turned out to be a bait and switch campaign. The "free" annual membership wasn't free at all. And now I'm forced to fight Amazon from charging $100 from my bank account. What a scam.

Heh. I've found Amazon Prime to be an incredible bargain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I get more than my money's worth out of Amazon Prime each year.

They were also very accommodating when I accidentally let my Amazon Fresh subscription go past the free month. Every experience I've had with their customer service has been fantastic so far.