Thread: New Years Resolutions 2017

Default New Years Resolutions 2017

I don't believe in this, but why not?

1) Capital- Earn more, develop new skills, spend less

2) Creativity- Go to more things that exercise my creativity

3) Copulation- Keep/grow exercise rates and be zexy

4) Community- Invest more in my communities, large and small

THE FOUR C'S OF 2017

1. Subscriptions for magazines and newspapers (matter of principle but also a great convenience)

2. Return to previous eating and exercise habits (easier now that I'm working regular but very generous and flexible office-hours)

3. Lunchbox every work-day (reversing a bad habit I developed last year).

4. At least 30 productive mins every weekday on updating myself on a medical topic in addition to those topics that come up during work (I think it will be good to dedicate some time exclusively to this in addition to the more unstructured reading I have to do and this is the first time my schedule has permitted it).

5. At least 1 hour of reading every day, for fun, away from the computer (I do most of my reading at a PC or on my phone, which is bad for my relaxation, my well-being and for retention).

6. Keep taking notes while doing non-essential, and go through my notes from last years' books (best thing I did last year).

7. Put in work on a programming project every week (unfortunately unable to give it a higher priority due to other demands on my time. Actually considering taking a brief leave of absence later this year, or cutting down on hours, in order to be able to do this properly).

8. Keep house and esp. my office more tidy (showing steady improvement due to taking steps that have made it easier to stay on top of the ever-evolving mess).

9. Stay on top of paperwork (finally have an approach that seems to be working).

10. Visit family more often (several trips booked, several pending)

I'm also getting better at going through my to-do list and I intend to keep that up. This list has gone from being a cause of great suffering to becoming a useful tool.

Resolutions 5 and 7 will likely prove to be the most difficult. The resolutions that work best are those that are easily integrated with my current habits and my current structure and that I don't need to resolve to do over and over again. Over the past year I've become better at setting aside time for important tasks, so that they get done, and adjusted my schedule to make it easier to stay on top of recurring tasks. Scheduling has been the most significant pain point, for me, and I've become better at dealing with this. However, this is still difficult for me to do in my leisure time, when it comes to things I do purely for my own sake and without making a commitment to someone else. Surprisingly, matters have improved since we got a TV, because that's drawn me away from the computer and prevented me from getting trapped by the infinite and endless distractions of the internet.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Heard of Zinio? Its great way to build a healthy digital magazine subscription, and a lot of libraries offer access too so its free.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

New Year's resolutions are shit. They're no better than prissy or romantic Hallmark holiday cards.

So's ur face.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I haven't drank in weeks and it's CRAZY. Am I depressed because it's January or am I depressed because I'm drinking less? Saw a guy jump into the subway tracks a few days ago and run into the tunnel. No train was coming. I don't think he was trying to hurt himself. Just wanted to walk in the tunnel and wasn't going to be bothered to wait for the train. They had to shut-down the whole line.

1. Get more disciplined with My Fitness Pal. Lost 40 pounds last year and gained almost 10 over November and December.

2. Take more actual vacations.

What kind of vacations are you looking to take?

So I'm deep into this non-drinking thing and it's insane how much I'm sleeping. Gone from 6 hours a night to closer to 8. And I'm hungrier, which may just be seasonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    What kind of vacations are you looking to take?

So I'm deep into this non-drinking thing and it's insane how much I'm sleeping. Gone from 6 hours a night to closer to 8. And I'm hungrier, which may just be seasonal.
    Dreams are awesome when you first stop alcohol.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?