Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPP

There's that too. Though I doubt that it's so much that he wants to undermine peace and stability in Europe as he wants to undermine the integration of a "competing" power bloc. Quite frankly, the US would probably be better off trade-wise if your guys' trade integration had plateaued thirty or forty years ago, particularly from the "unique" slant from which Trump et al view trade. There's a distinct whiff of "nostalgia for those glorious yester-years." Though since he's working for the Russians maybe he DOES want to undermine European peace and stability.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Of course there are problems with that. But they're not problems which get in the way of a US/UK trade deal which you and Khend kept insisting was the case in your misinterpretation of the incoming administration's attitudes toward trade.
    I have no idea what the incoming administration's attitude to trade is. I don't even know why scrapping TPP was a priority. What I do know is that this administration is putting America and Americans first and that the UK has a surplus on the balance in its dealings with the USA.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Trump has at least one plausible motive for offering the UK a good free trade deal: it strengths the UK's position in the exit negotiations, and undermines the European Union by making following the UK's example seem like a plausible, attractive option for other nations. Combined with his repeated attempts to undermine NATO it appears as though Trump's made it his mission in life to undermine the institutions ensuring peace and stability in Europe.

So that's awesome*.

* it is not awesome
    Which is why I am shifting to thinking there will be no post-Brexit trade agreement at all.
    Congratulations America

Sort of like the EU has a surplus on the balance in its dealings with the UK but you didn't seem that mattered to trade talks there. Funny that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Which is why I am shifting to thinking there will be no post-Brexit trade agreement at all.
    We are making progress then. You used to be convinced that you could dictate terms and we would sign up to whatever you felt like offering without any discussion or compromise. That you think there may be no deal shows you are understanding we will stand up for ourselves so progress.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Sort of like the EU has a surplus on the balance in its dealings with the UK but you didn't seem that mattered to trade talks there. Funny that.
    Snort. Are you saying the UK should take a Trumpian protectionist approach to trade?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

No I'm saying Hazir isn't being consistent. If a trade surplus is valuable it should be valuable in both negotiations.

He's saying that the surplus is not necessarily an advantage in negotiations against a powerful economy pursuing protectionist trade policies, in this case "America First". If the UK were to pursue similar policies then similar considerations would of course apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What I do know is that this administration is putting America and Americans first and that the UK has a surplus on the balance in its dealings with the USA.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Exactly. Different horses for different courses.
    Congratulations America