Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insanity in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Interesting that you throw in homosexuals there. Because they are hit by this type of bans too. I can tell you that before this ban a Iranian friend of mine was taken through this extreme vetting for 2 years before he was allowed to fly to the USA.

In little over 4 months he was working, the language he knew well before he got on the plane.

Under the ban he would have been rejected and be under the permanent threat of being sent back to the extremely homophobic Islamic Republic of Iran.
    I throw it in there due to the immense irony of liberals getting pissed about cake baking but are strangely silent when it comes to Islamic viewpoints on homosexuals and actual real life executions for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    No, not the only case.

In certain countries where political correctness has gotten out of control yes I do think they may get off easier.
    *shrug* You're wrong.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    *shrug* You're wrong.
    An example would be based on going off someone's stated age that they are a minor as opposed to actual proof which regular citizens would have. Treated as minor = softer sentence. IE some Muslims refugee get lighter sentences because they claim to be younger than they actually are.

An example would be based on going off someone's stated age that they are a minor as opposed to actual proof which regular citizens would have. Treated as minor = softer sentence. IE some Muslims refugee get lighter sentences because they claim to be younger than they actually are.
    This may certainly be true in a tiny number of corner cases, but what you're wrong about is the claimed association with "political correctness". In this case you're also wrong about the specifics of how the system deals with the problem of age.

In reality, the determination of a refugee's age--in cases where they claim to be minors--does not rely exclusively on their assurance that they are the age they claim to be but on an assessment using multiple types of evidence including thorough, structured interviews. Last year, the Swedish government caved to political pressure and authorized the use of forensic methods for determining age. The use of these methods have previously been opposed not on political grounds but on legal, scientific and ethical grounds: they don't meet Swedish legal standards, they are scientifically dubious in most of the cases where they'd be used, and they represent an ethical problem for medical professionals. Nevertheless, more and more allegedly "PC" countries have begun to implement these methods, for political reasons.

Wrt the justice system, immigrants--and esp. brownies--are more likely to be reported, more likely to be arrested and more likely to be convicted (at least in lower courts), all other things being more or less equal. Issues with gang culture etc. aside, victims are generally more likely to report assailants with whom they don't have a relationship, police are more likely to arrest brownies and inclined to subject them to a different kind of questioning, immigrants are more likely to be poor and thus tend to have less qualified legal representation and they are more likely to be viewed by courts as being less credible. Where they seem to get off easily, they get away for the same reasons as any other criminal: because the evidence wasn't strong enough by our legal standards.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I throw it in there due to the immense irony of liberals getting pissed about cake baking but are strangely silent when it comes to Islamic viewpoints on homosexuals and actual real life executions for that reason.
    Doesn't take away from the fact that you're just as willing to use people to advance your ideas but are totally wanton about destroying their actual lives by the effects of those same ideas.
    Congratulations America

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Yup this was the case I was referring to. There is some good news though:

"Also this week, state lawmakers passed a bill written by the Santa Clara district attorney's office, calling for mandatory prison time for those convicted of committing sexual assaults upon intoxicated or unconscious victims."

I'm a huge fan of stricter minimum sentencing guidelines. Something I should point out is generally viewed negatively on this board. Your thoughts?

Also this:

"Two passers-by stopped when they saw Turner grinding against her unconscious body; he ran and they chased after him, pinning him to the ground until police showed up."

I'm always grateful there are still good people int he world willing to help bring down a criminal.

Don't know enough about the specifics of the US situation to comment. I find it bizarre that rape doesn't already carry a default custodial sentence, given that it is usually considered second only to murder in seriousness by most people and third only to murder and property damage by you.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come