Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is just beautiful!

Default This is just beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oul8c16LzMs

Best part is when the citizen high fives the police officer. This is how its done. You can protest but you aren't allowed to impede traffic you little shits. Glad the police didn't dick around with it, they just came in took the idiots down hard and moved on. Took less than five minutes from what I can see. Sadly many cities don't really throw the book at fools like this but it would be fun if they got creative and denied bail for these clowns.

It would be a shame if protesters inconvenienced you, Lewk.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yes it would be a shame. Why should protesters have the right to inconvenience people?

There appears in the video to be plenty of space in the sidewalk for protectors to gather, wave their placards and make their views known to everyone who doesn't care to listen without holding up traffic. You don't know or seem to care what the people who are commuting are doing with their lives... why should their lives and rights be less important than the protesters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

You've never seen a single successful protest, have you? There is no right to assembly if you shut down any path for its success.

Your right to assemble doesn't give you a right to stop me assembling or otherwise going about my business. Otherwise counter protesters are free to stop your protest and we'd just have mob rule.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Incidentally you have a right to assemble only. You do not have a right to success.

There's no right to never experience inconvenience, either. Otherwise my local highway authority would be up before the Hague several times a month.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Rand, you'd make a great tinpot dictator. Protests are ok...as long as they don't try to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    There's no right to never experience inconvenience, either. Otherwise my local highway authority would be up before the Hague several times a month.
    The Highway Authority is actually trying to maintain the roads not just stop them for shits and giggles even if it may seem like that.

Loki and you'd make a good anarchist - or mobster. Apparently there is no law and nobody has the right to just go about their lives and can be held to ransom by every shit with a grievance or agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The Highway Authority is actually trying to maintain the roads not just stop them for shits and giggles even if it may seem like that.
    Same story for roads being closed for bike races, food festivals or markets.

Or people driving incredibly slowly along the A595.

Also, prove it.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

There were more police than protestors, severely overdressed, no recorded attempt of trying to have an actual conversation, the street was never actually cleared. If it weren't for the violence lewk would be bitching about the government waste.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Loki and you'd make a good anarchist - or mobster. Apparently there is no law and nobody has the right to just go about their lives and can be held to ransom by every shit with a grievance or agenda.
    The reaction should be proportional to the degree of "wrong-doing." And there has to be a reasonable process for obtaining protest permits. Given the choice between autocracy and a few people being inconvenienced, I know which I'd prefer.

Are you actually suggesting they should be allowed to block traffic?

Most places either exempt peaceful protests from traffic obstruction laws or require protesters to first obtain a permit. The latter can obviously be a problem when people want to protest the institution on charge of the permits.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Most places either exempt peaceful protests from traffic obstruction laws or require protesters to first obtain a permit. The latter can obviously be a problem when people want to protest the institution on charge of the permits.
    I'm failing to see your point. Most places you can legally trespass as long as you don't make too much noise and/or impede traffic.

My larger beef is with Loki though and his thought process about allowing these kinds of protests and thinking the police didn't behave properly here.

Pretty sure Loki's beef is with you and your general anti-protest attitude.

You're allowed to impede traffic in some places, and in other places you're allowed to do so if you have a permit (in which case traffic is typically rerouted but people are nevertheless inconvenienced).

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Pretty sure Loki's beef is with you and your general anti-protest attitude.

You're allowed to impede traffic in some places, and in other places you're allowed to do so if you have a permit (in which case traffic is typically rerouted but people are nevertheless inconvenienced).
    There are a number of differences between the two. I'm not going to list them all but right off the bat one involves forewarning of said event so people can make other plans are take into consideration their travel plans. Emergency service personal will also be aware and will take alternate routes etc.

I don't have a problem with protest I do have a problem with criminals. If you want to protest in front of a Wal Mart and it isn't on private property and you aren't blocking the flow of people, go right ahead. Use your free speech! You don't have a right to block people from entering, use violence etc. I think a general rule of thumb for any 'protest' you and Loki should be allowed is, if this was done in front of an abortion clinic would you also be OK with it?

There were more police than protestors, severely overdressed, no recorded attempt of trying to have an actual conversation, the street was never actually cleared. If it weren't for the violence lewk would be bitching about the government waste.
    Having more numbers on your side seems to be a sensible tactic.
    Severely overdressed - what does that even mean?
    What was there to have a conversation about?
    The street was cleared in the video, the tram was blocked and after the Police moved in the tram was able to move again.

Every jackass with an axe to grind can not have free reign to bring traffic to a standstill.

Lewk that is quite a sensible comparison. I would object to protesters blocking the entrance to an abortion clinic as I suspect would Aimless and Loki. Protesters have the right to make their voice heard, not a right to change others actions by force. That isn't protesting that is bullying.

Having more numbers on your side seems to be a sensible tactic.
    Surprising absolutely no one that you're this short sighted.

Severely overdressed - what does that even mean?
    Not a single officer was dressed in standard patrol attire. Not every protest requires tactical gear. Only a few decided to display badges, I can't tell if their badge numbers were left visible.

What was there to have a conversation about?
    Moving out of the street before some fool jacked up on adrenaline slams your ass into the pavement?
    The street was cleared in the video,
    The street was made passable, it was never clear, largely because there were so many police left wondering around with nothing to do.
    the tram was blocked and after the Police moved in the tram was able to move again.
    not in the video
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Surprising absolutely no one that you're this short sighted.
    Ah yes rushing in by yourself first only to be outnumbered would have been much smarter. Oh no it wouldn't.
    Not a single officer was dressed in standard patrol attire. Not every protest requires tactical gear. Only a few decided to display badges, I can't tell if their badge numbers were left visible.
    Riot police don't generally wear standard patrol attire. Why should they that would be dangerous and then you'd complain if someone got hurt it was their own fault for being underdressed.
    Moving out of the street before some fool jacked up on adrenaline slams your ass into the pavement?
    You don't think that was demanded and ignored before they rushed in?
    The street was made passable, it was never clear, largely because there were so many police left wondering around with nothing to do.
    Other than maintain the free flow of traffic. Can't win with morons like you, what do you want them to bugger off before the traffic is cleared only to have it become jammed again? There's literally someone there guiding the traffic and waving through the oncoming vehicles when it is safe to do so.
    not in the video
    1:45 onwards on the video. Tram on the left was blocked and then is able to move freely followed by a load of cars and two more trams.

Ah yes rushing in by yourself first only to be outnumbered would have been much smarter. Oh no it wouldn't.
    Riot police don't generally wear standard patrol attire. Why should they that would be dangerous and then you'd complain if someone got hurt it was their own fault for being underdressed.
    You don't think that was demanded and ignored before they rushed in?
    Other than maintain the free flow of traffic. Can't win with morons like you, what do you want them to bugger off before the traffic is cleared only to have it become jammed again? There's literally someone there guiding the traffic and waving through the oncoming vehicles when it is safe to do so.
    1:45 onwards on the video. Tram on the left was blocked and then is able to move freely followed by a load of cars and two more trams.
    Is this generally how you converse with people? They say one thing, you hear another thing? Who said anything about rushing in alone?
    You understand riot police are actually regular police in riot gear right? Why would a group of this size need a riot response? Again, not every protest requires such a heavy handed approach. We've managed NCs from both parties without it as well as major sports games, and those have a much higher chance of violence.
    The video doesn't show any sort of interaction between the police and protestors before the police swarm in. Its possible demands were made, we've also seen examples where there was no warning. You guys were taken to the ECHR when your spontaneous kettling trapped several people unrelated to the protest the police were attempting to squash.
    You totally missed the connection between the overabundence of police. but congrats on finding that someone who made themselves useful?
    Thats a bus over here, the tram/trolley/train/streetcar never moves. in fact most of the video shows the police pinning a protester to the ground in front of it.

Is this generally how you converse with people? They say one thing, you hear another thing? Who said anything about rushing in alone?
    It's called making a point. If they're over-manned you object to that, if they were undermanned you'd object to that. What precisely do you want? Is there a precise number of people that they should have had - no more and no less? How many is that?
    You understand riot police are actually regular police in riot gear right? Why would a group of this size need a riot response? Again, not every protest requires such a heavy handed approach. We've managed NCs from both parties without it as well as major sports games, and those have a much higher chance of violence.
    I didn't see what preceded this so can't tell but prevention seems better than cure. If they're rushing in to clear a crowd that won't disperse then yes that sounds like the job of riot police.
    The video doesn't show any sort of interaction between the police and protestors before the police swarm in. Its possible demands were made, we've also seen examples where there was no warning. You guys were taken to the ECHR when your spontaneous kettling trapped several people unrelated to the protest the police were attempting to squash.
    And? The video starts with the Police moving in. Presumably interactions happened first because otherwise it's a remarkable coincidence that somebody happened to be recording it.
    You totally missed the connection between the overabundence of police. but congrats on finding that someone who made themselves useful?
    Again what do you want? We have a number of people keeping the path clear and then somebody guiding the oncoming traffic. Seems sensible.
    Thats a bus over here, the tram/trolley/train/streetcar never moves. in fact most of the video shows the police pinning a protester to the ground in front of it.
    Oh that's just silly, its an intersection and the vehicles need to cross each other's path. Not passed an American driving test but I highly doubt it will be any different to the UK where you do not drive into oncoming traffic! They're clearing traffic from one direction while the other direction waits patiently. I'm going to hazard an educated guess here that once one direction had cleared then they'll stop traffic going left to right and allow the traffic going the other direction to start moving instead. That's generally my experience of how intersections work, the fact that the video ends before one direction has stopped moving doesn't mean the other will never move.

your post breaks down into 2 parts, making a bunch of baseless assumptions for questions you can't answer and agreeing with points I made in my original response

It is baseless to assume traffic shouldn't drive into oncoming traffic. Got it!

Maybe Randblade should promote a law in Brexitania where protests can only happen by the rules Government set. That should be ever so convenient.
    Congratulations America

No need, such laws already exist.

I'm a liberal not an anarchist.

No, you're not. You're a nationalist and a statist.

By believing in the rule of [pre-existing] law? Interesting theory.

Read Locke or Kant.

Good idea but if he kant I think we're outta locke