Thread: The shower doctrine

Default The shower doctrine

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/0....facebook.com/

No doubt the murderer mistook the victim's swinging cod for a lethal weapon.

What do you think the verdict will be?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/0....facebook.com/

No doubt the murderer mistook the victim's swinging cod for a lethal weapon.

What do you think the verdict will be?
    Really depends on jury selection. I'd want it to be not-guilty but unsure of the local feelings on the issue.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/05/slain-t...to-wrong-home/

Isn't it great when your first response to a potential misunderstanding is to grab your gun, come back and shoot the person? It's certainly how Jesus would have acted.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Really depends on jury selection. I'd want it to be not-guilty but unsure of the local feelings on the issue.
    You hope it's not guilty? So if someone is naked in the shower thinking they're at a friends house that's a reasonable time to kill them?

People make mistakes, especially when drunk, it isn't a reason to die though. This man should still be alive . I understand the homeowner's right to self-defence if he feels threatened but that was not the case here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Lewk's just thinking of the chilling effect a guilty verdict might have on murder self defense in general. It would clearly not be in society's best interest to create a climate where people will hesitate to kill drunk strangers.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    You hope it's not guilty? So if someone is naked in the shower thinking they're at a friends house that's a reasonable time to kill them?

People make mistakes, especially when drunk, it isn't a reason to die though. This man should still be alive . I understand the homeowner's right to self-defence if he feels threatened but that was not the case here.
    And if the man was drunk and tried to open up the front door of the home and the homeowner shot him... would it be different? Being drunk should never under any circumstances lessen the consequences of one's actions. Hell if anything I'd think that allowing yourself to be drunk and then acting criminally should INCREASE the charges because of the inherent danger drunks have to those people around them.

Ultimately yes, this sounds like a tragic situation, one that we would wish hadn't happened. However a man's home is his castle and he should not face prosecution for having to defend himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://nypost.com/2017/04/05/slain-t...to-wrong-home/

Isn't it great when your first response to a potential misunderstanding is to grab your gun, come back and shoot the person? It's certainly how Jesus would have acted.
    Are we talking about law or religion? Because unless you advocate criminal sanction to anyone not acting as Jesus would it is utterly irrelevant to the man being charged.

Are we talking about law or religion? Because unless you advocate criminal sanction to anyone not acting as Jesus would it is utterly irrelevant to the man being charged.
    What happened to the sanctity of life? I believe shooting someone who's by no means a threat kind of violates that sanctity.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What happened to the sanctity of life? I believe shooting someone who's by no means a threat kind of violates that sanctity.
    Someone crazy enough to enter your home and use your shower can seem rather threatening in the middle of the night. Why are you always in a rush to prosecute?

And if the man was drunk and tried to open up the front door of the home and the homeowner shot him... would it be different?
    Maybe if he genuinely felt threatened. He didn't.
    Ultimately yes, this sounds like a tragic situation, one that we would wish hadn't happened. However a man's home is his castle and he should not face prosecution for having to defend himself.
    But he didn't have to defend himself. What was he defending himself from, an increase in his water usage? Somebody taking a bit of his soap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Water is property, surely Lewk thinks that's enough reason for execution.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!