Thread: White Americans Rape Minor and Stream it Live

Default White Americans Rape Minor and Stream it Live

From the other thread.

When an Ohio teenager witnessed her 17-year-old friend being raped, according to officials, she not only failed to help the victim, she pointed her phone and streamed a live video of it on the Periscope app.

The teenager, Marina Lonina, 18, faces a spate of charges as severe as those facing Raymond Gates, 29, the man accused in the attack. Both have been charged with kidnapping, rape, sexual battery and pandering sexual matter involving a minor.

“I have never seen a case such as this where you would actually live-stream a sexual assault,” Ron O’Brien, the Franklin County prosecutor, said in remarks to the local news media.

The prosecutor’s office said Ms. Lonina and the victim, friends from the same high school outside Columbus, met Mr. Gates for the first time while hanging out at a shopping mall in the city, the day before the alleged assault. He proposed meeting the next day.

On the evening of Feb. 27, all three were gathered at a residence in Columbus where Mr. Gates pinned the 17-year-old down and raped her as Ms. Lonina used Periscope, an app owned by Twitter, to live-stream the attack, the authorities said.

A friend of Ms. Lonina’s in another state saw the video and contacted the authorities.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty on Friday.

Mr. O’Brien, the prosecutor, said Ms. Lonina had apparently hoped that live-streaming the attack would help to stop it, but that she became enthralled by positive feedback online.

“She got caught up in the likes,” he said.

Ms. Lonina’s lawyer, Sam Shamansky, has portrayed his client as the victim of a much older man, who bought the teenagers a bottle of vodka.

“You don’t want to lose track of the fact that she’s a high school student and she and her friend were clearly taken advantage of,” he said.

Ms. Lonina told the police that she filmed the encounter to gather evidence of a crime. Mr. Shamansky, who has viewed the Periscope video, said Ms. Lonina made “substantial” efforts to thwart the attack, though he declined to specify them.

“She was swept up by the gravity of the situation,” Mr. Shamansky said. “And as she immediately told the police, she was filming in order to preserve, not to embarrass or to shame or to titillate anybody.”

In an interview on Monday, Mr. O’Brien acknowledged that for roughly 10 seconds during the 10-minute video Ms. Lonina pulled the leg of the victim, who he said cried out during the attack saying “no,” “stop” and “help me.” It was not clear though that she intended to help the victim, he said.

“For the most part she is just streaming it on the Periscope app and giggling and laughing,” Mr. O’Brien said.

Ms. Lonina did not call 911, he added.

Court records showed no attorney listed for Mr. Gates.

The authorities also charged Ms. Lonina with an additional felony for photographing her friend in the nude on Feb. 26, the night before the assault, Mr. O’Brien said.

The defendants each face more than 40 years in prison if convicted, Mr. O’Brien said. Court records show Ms. Lonina was released Friday on a bond of $125,000, while Mr. Gates remained incarcerated after his bond was set at $300,000.

Since Twitter introduced Periscope last spring, it has been used for more than 100 million broadcasts. Perhaps inevitably, people have also deployed it to showcase themselves breaking the law. The platform’s guidelines ban “explicit graphic content.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Sick bastards, I hope they get a serious sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The streamer got 9 months for obstruction, that's it. The victim claims that the streamer set up the rape, since the rapist got sentenced 9 years last year a lot of people are claiming pussy pass for such a light sentence in comparison.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

That's stupid, the rapist would and should get a considerably longer sentence.

Didn't realise from the OP that this was not something new.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If it's true that the streamer set up the whole thing, they should get more than 9 months.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The streamer got 9 months for obstruction, that's it. The victim claims that the streamer set up the rape, since the rapist got sentenced 9 years last year a lot of people are claiming pussy pass for such a light sentence in comparison.
    That's pretty ridiculous. She should face a lot more time in prison. Do you think both individuals should have mandatory 20 year minimum sentences for their part in this? Because I'm all for putting pieces of shit like this in prison for even longer than 20 years but I know you liberals like to coddle criminals. So, are you good with that minimum sentence being put into law for rape and assisting in rape?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Didn't realise from the OP that this was not something new.
    The sentence was handed down last week. Which is a bit more recent than the year old verdict for a rape that happened in '14 that lewk created a D&D thread for a couple of weeks ago.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    If it's true that the streamer set up the whole thing, they should get more than 9 months.
    Sure. But conspiracy is often hard to prove and can also end up creating openings for "reasonable doubt" which could even get the direct perpetrator off with a not guilty.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Although presumably if she got a nine month sentence then she's not been found not guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Although presumably if she got a nine month sentence then she's not been found not guilty?
    Yes. More specifically, she pled guilty to Obstruction as part of a plea agreement. She was not convicted by a jury. I doubt that would have happened if the prosecutor thought they could get a rape charge via conspiracy to stick. But maybe OG's right and this is what happens when a young white teen girl is on the perpetrating side of a rape case, that it's not taken seriously.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    But maybe OG's right and this is what happens when a young white teen girl is on the perpetrating side of a rape case, that it's not taken seriously.
    One would figure that at the very least the pandering sexual matter involving a minor charge would be a slam dunk considering the whole live streaming aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Yes. More specifically, she pled guilty to Obstruction as part of a plea agreement. She was not convicted by a jury. I doubt that would have happened if the prosecutor thought they could get a rape charge via conspiracy to stick. But maybe OG's right and this is what happens when a young white teen girl is on the perpetrating side of a rape case, that it's not taken seriously.
    Makes more sense. I suppose with the large age gap etc that there was a risk a lawyer at trial could cast enough reasonable doubt that the girl was a victim too.