Page 124 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    So much sovereignty though. All that lovely sovereignty. Can you feel the sovereignty? So glad we're getting more sovereignty. I can feel the sovereignty.

Sovereignty!
    "We haven't left yet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I know, right? Who imagined that we already had all this sovereignty in the first place?

It's almost as if we never lost control in the first place!

I'm interested to know how you personally rank the Tory leadership contenders from most to least preferable. If I remember you're keen on Javid, right? Where do Johnson, Gove, Raab and Rudd (and others?) fit in your wish list?

Wishlist or watch list?
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Wishlist or watch list?
    Depending on the wish, is there actually a difference?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I know, right? Who imagined that we already had all this sovereignty in the first place?

It's almost as if we never lost control in the first place!

I'm interested to know how you personally rank the Tory leadership contenders from most to least preferable. If I remember you're keen on Javid, right? Where do Johnson, Gove, Raab and Rudd (and others?) fit in your wish list?
    I'm keen on Javid and Gove, I imagine Javid would do better in an election.

Johnson - Meh. Played the clown far too often, can he be serious? Hated by Remainers as the face of Brexit but it could be what we need right now. I have my doubts.

Raab - Hell no. Got all the personality and charisma of Theresa May and is as thick as two short planks.

Rudd - Used to be a yes, now a no. Did a bad job at the Home Office though a lot of that was May's fault. Too Europhile to be hard-headed during the next stage of negotiations.

Two others I like:
    Truss - I like her. Been a bit ditzy at times in the past. "This. Is. A. Disgrace." was a cringeworthy speech I sat through a few years ago and would no doubt become a meme very quickly. But seems to have her head on her and seems to have grown into her roles she has taken on. Not going to be her though, she's a 100/1 outsider but could be a good pick.
    Jeremy Hunt - I like him too though he's absolutely hated by the left and could fire them up. Did a good job as Health Secretary which is a challenging role for an austerity Tory government. Articulate and sensible.

I hope it will be one of Gove, Hunt, Javid or Truss.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What a confederacy of dunces you've lined up.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

At least May's Tory government actually won an election, albeit by the narrowest possible margin. The idea of turning over the direction of Brexit to some asshole decided on in Tory hustings, plus the assholes they select to their cabinet... I honestly find that kind of distasteful. Especially since Party memberships tend to be more extreme in their views than the general public, they have zero incentive not go for the most extreme person they can get their hands on who'll take a hardline with the EU in the subsequent negotiations and try for the hard Brexit they've always dreamed of, since the outcome of Brexit is far more important to anyone politically engaged than the next election, as it will likely shape the future of the country for the rest of our lives.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

�� Happy Brexit Day ��
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    At least May's Tory government actually won an election, albeit by the narrowest possible margin. The idea of turning over the direction of Brexit to some asshole decided on in Tory hustings, plus the assholes they select to their cabinet... I honestly find that kind of distasteful. Especially since Party memberships tend to be more extreme in their views than the general public, they have zero incentive not go for the most extreme person they can get their hands on who'll take a hardline with the EU in the subsequent negotiations and try for the hard Brexit they've always dreamed of, since the outcome of Brexit is far more important to anyone politically engaged than the next election, as it will likely shape the future of the country for the rest of our lives.
    What makes you think that whoever follows May will have more say in how things go?
    Congratulations America

Well, changing leader isn't going to solve the problem of the government having a razor thin majority or the fact that there's basically no agreement on anything, no, but they are going to get have a lot of influence of the negotiating position of the UK as the future trade arrangements are agreed upon.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    To be honest this was kind of inevitable from the 2017 election results onwards. May needed a secure majority and didn't get it - I am surprised she's lasted this long in the circumstances and equally pretty certain you didn't vote for the Tories so this scenario now is the consequence of your votes.

Are you blaming the consequences of having a bunch of incompetents in power on the people who didn't vote for them? That's certainly a hot take.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Are you blaming the consequences of having a bunch of incompetents in power on the people who didn't vote for them? That's certainly a hot take.
    He's blaming Steely for the incompetents MORE power. It's kinda Galaxy Brain.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm saying the fact that there's no majority in Parliament leading to this paralysis is the fault of how people voted yes as well as May's fault for her hubris in calling the election.

He's complaining about May going but that was a matter of time from the results of the election. Had she won a large majority she wouldn't be going.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    To be honest this was kind of inevitable from the 2017 election results onwards. May needed a secure majority and didn't get it - I am surprised she's lasted this long in the circumstances and equally pretty certain you didn't vote for the Tories so this scenario now is the consequence of your votes.
    Just as much a consequence of yours.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And the Party of Clowns continues. Looks like the 12th of April will finally be the end of it.

Sooo, anyone wanna start a bet on how long it will take for them to come slinking back, with their tails between their legs and begging the guv'nor for a ha'penny?

The Tories need a new leader and then they need to call a general election. It's the only way they can get Brexit done.

With the right person they will destroy Labour and regain majority big enough to survive their own infighting.

Bit risky, perhaps, but with Corbyn in opposition and May not at the helm, the odds will be in their favour.

1. Long delay
    2. Leadership contest
    3. General election
    4. Brexit

Number 4 is probably a couple of years away now, but I can't see any other way round it.

And you can decide all that in the next 13 days? And why should we wait if this is your plan. A lot of people are fed up with brexit.
    Congratulations America

Well it's quite possibly the only thing that the majority of parliament would agree on.

I still can't see parliament letting no deal happen so, yeah, I guess I do see number 1 being sorted out in the next 13 days.

Brits: if you see an MP, look them in the eye and sigh heavily.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And now they even blocked new elections.

So, we have established pretty well what they don't want.

Having a new election would entail both Labour and the Conservatives actually deciding what to put about Brexit in their manifestos.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I wonder why Parliament has these endless debates about what they might want as a stage two after the stage one agreement they will not accept.
    Congratulations America

For a democracy where voting on the same thing twice is supposedly a Bad Thing(tm) they're voting awfully often on the same thing.

This is starting to annoy me now.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Starting?

Its past annoying me now, now I find it funny.

RB: if you were an MP how would you have been voting over recent events?

Would you have voted for May's deal? Or be holding out for a No Deal? Or something else?

With regret against the deal. I'd rather no backstop and still have a deal over no deal, but no deal over May's deal. The backstop is unacceptable.

But I thought the Irish border thing was easy to solve/a non issue? Why not just accept the withdrawal agreement and the then get the Irish border problem solved shortly after?

May's deal has everything else you want, right?