Page 14 of 206 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Begins

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Only evens, you're not very confident then.
    That your best counter? You're not very confident either.

Little Britain. Get used to the sound.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Break up of the UK has been on the cards for years and I supported Sindy last time, though I'm getting won around to the idea of keeping the Scots afterall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, we will see how well Brexiteer Englanders take having to dance to the tune of Belfast.

I personally don't care very much if there is another delay in order to give the Tories another go at picking a new leader, but you really have to wonder who are these people in the party who play such dangerous games with the future of the country.
    Congratulations America

I would be surprised if we get another leader before a Brexit deal is agreed, we're stuck with this lump. She'll be gone before the next General Election though.

I take no pleasure in saying "I told you so" for saying May was crap repeatedly here when the whole country seemed infatuated with her.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Minus the part where this was all a foreseeable consequence of the Brexit vote. Remember when you kept on insisting it would lead to a more liberal conservative party?
    Hope is the denial of reality

No, I never said if Theresa May took over we'd be more liberal. The Conservative Party has always had a liberal streak and that was in the ascendancy ever since Cameron took over, along with liberals like Gove and Boris. Since the UK is a liberal nation overall, Brexit would ultimately be liberal - a Gove/Boris Brexit would be liberal from the off, shame that they didn't take over. May's illiberalism has cost us our majority and would ultimately see a liberal replacing us if the party doesn't become more liberal.

You said the liberals would win as a result. I said nationalists would win. You talked about a million new trade agreements and freedom of movement.

No I spoke about new trade agreements, I always acknowledged free movement was at risk. Even under May we were and still are seeking new trade agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No I spoke about new trade agreements, I always acknowledged free movement was at risk. Even under May we were and still are seeking new trade agreements.
    The reality of course is that where previously May was beholden to extremist Brexiteers she now needs the suppport of the DUP which prefers staying in as much as possible and is facing the fact that 12 Scottish conservative MPs soon may have similar demands as the talk about separating themselves from the main body of the party.
    Congratulations America

Apparently the EU is threatening to not talk about anything for a year if the British government doesn't accept the sequencing of the talks.
    Congratulations America

Why a year? May as well say two years.

That's one way of guaranteeing a clean Brexit.

Because that's about how long it would take to establish a broader framework for negotiations.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.theg...tiating-stance
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Randblade is right though; this is clearly a way of telling the UK that we're either going to do it on the EU schedule or not at all. I think the EU schedule is; Brexit negotiations; laying down the rules for transition; negotiations during the transition periode about future trade relations. By the way, that would consitute a soft brexit, the kind that probably is acceptable to the vast majority of British voters and British business.

It will not satisfy Breximaniacs though, because it also means accepting that the EU calls the shots in the future relationship.
    Congratulations America

Btw, what's this I hear about Juncker encouraging May to call an election?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Btw, what's this I hear about Juncker encouraging May to call an election?
    Wouldn't be so strange if he had. She had painted herself into a corner and elections seemed to be a way out. However, that doesn't make Juncker responsible for the elections. It's not like he is an MP and voted in favor of the elections of last week.
    Congratulations America

I really wonder how that cross party approach to Brexit will work. And of course if they will be able to negotiate a deal that is acceptable to the EU.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Wouldn't be so strange if he had. She had painted herself into a corner and elections seemed to be a way out. However, that doesn't make Juncker responsible for the elections. It's not like he is an MP and voted in favor of the elections of last week.
    My guess is that he was hoping Lord Buckethead would win:

The queen, she has an opinion.

Click to view the full version

(and in the right thread this time)
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Amusing but the reason the event was "dressed down" was quite widely publicised, the event was unscheduled and clashed with Trooping the Colour. Same happened after the early election in 1974.

Claims that the Queen also wanted to be able to get changed quickly in order to make it to Royal Ascot on the same day have been half-heartedly denied.

Lol, so if EHIC is taken away all Brits are getting free travel health insurance?
    Congratulations America

Lol, so if EHIC is taken away all Brits are getting free travel health insurance?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...isoning-claims

Innovative consumer response to financial uncertainty

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...isoning-claims

Innovative consumer response to financial uncertainty
    Pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Gots to get paid bro

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Pathetic.
    Indeed
    Couldn't care less. It costs peanuts to buy travel insurance.

EU citizens​ currently have more rights in Britain than do the British? Seriously, Rand?

It's true in a few rare areas.

Two examples.

1: A French student in a Scottish university pays no tuition fees. An English student does. That is an issue for the devolved administration to deal with.

2: An Englishman wanting to bring a non-EEA spouse into the UK has to earn above an earnings threshold to do so. A Frenchman wanting to do the same does not. This is the issue being highlighted that is going to have to be negotiated as the government is proposing to end this after the cut-off date.

I think proposing that an EU citizen shall have the same rights as a UK citizen is an entirely reasonable proposal.

That's not what the article asserted.

Yes it is. The income threshold for non-EU spouses is specifically what is brought up.
    The key point of dispute here is in the final line of the EU’s proposal, which calls for family members of EU citizens to be able to join them before or after the withdrawal date. This would mean preserving ‘super-rights’ for EU citizens which exceed what UK nationals themselves have in the some country. The UK proposal in fact splits the issue in two – it guarantees the right for children to join EU parents after Brexit, while maintaining the position that spouses and other family members should have to meet the same criteria as equivalent relations of UK nationals, including the income threshold for non-EU spouses. This is set to be a major crunch point between the UK and the EU.