Page 15 of 206 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    EU citizens​ currently have more rights in Britain than do the British? Seriously, Rand?
    That is actually true in some ways. It explains why being treated as if you are a citizen means that you are losing rights.

Being a EU citizen in combination with using Union rights activates EU directives for your situation. That often improves your rights. Living in your own country means that the directives remain by and large irrelevant.
    Congratulations America

I wonder if more liberal countries would argue more forcefully and persuasively that that income threshold constitutes a violation of the ECHR. Illustrative example, btw, of the UK's attitudes towards foreigners.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Load of bollocks if they do. Supreme Court ruled already against that for good reason.

I would extend an income threshold to all foreignors without criminal records not just those with ties here. Let anyone come here so long as they can support themselves. I see no problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

We will stand our ground:

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.ft.c...3-e2df1b0c3220

#resist

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-rights-brexit

It's no surprise that people below the age of retirement are keen to retain as many of their EU rights as possible but I feel the bit about how much they'd be willing to "pay" a little dodgy. Haven't yet looked at the study in detail.

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Not to worry, this will be a huge boost to the fishing boat manufacturing sector, which will be very welcome given trends in some other sectors:

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.ft.c...8-8055f264aa8b

This could seriously lead to violence with Iceland.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I'd missed that the UK presidency had been canceled
    Congratulations America

Ha! Them and what army?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

How? Iceland isn't even part of this agreement and it has nothing to do with the 200-mile exclusion zone established at the end of the last disputes and later set down as the UN standard.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Yeah this will affect mostly France and Ireland, now.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    How? Iceland isn't even part of this agreement and it has nothing to do with the 200-mile exclusion zone established at the end of the last disputes and later set down as the UN standard.
    Precisely. Its just lazy thinking to go "fish dispute + UK = Iceland". If Loki'd thought about the cod wars he would have known that the issue was British fishermen fishing in waters Iceland claimed and not Icelandic fishermen fishing in waters Britain claims.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Iceland had an agreement with the EU. Britain is withdrawing from the EU agreement. That means it has no agreement with Iceland.

"Everyone Shrugged" is the name of a thrilling new book about the aftermath of the UK's announcement that it intends to withdraw from a convention that had already been superseded by EU law and agreements with EFTA.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Iceland had an agreement with the EU. Britain is withdrawing from the EU agreement. That means it has no agreement with Iceland.
    True but that was already expected to be a possible consequence of Brexit.

Iceland might have an agreement with the EU. This is not part of whatever that agreement is. You can tell because Iceland is not a signatory of this one. There is a nice little list of those this one applies to. Iceland's not on it.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Iceland might have an agreement with the EU. This is not part of whatever that agreement is. You can tell because Iceland is not a signatory of this one. There is a nice little list of those this one applies to. Iceland's not on it.
    Didn't realize that was a separate treaty.

An important thing to check before you start predicting interstate violence, n'est ce pas?

Like Icelanders need an excuse. I hear the Mountain is sailing to the British Isles as we speak.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7822386.html
    Brexit: Vote Leave chief who created £350m NHS claim on bus admits leaving EU could be 'an error'

You guys are fucking fucked.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

An important thing to check before you start predicting interstate violence, n'est ce pas?
    I'd have said that the withdrawal was a hostile act in itself already. Not only was doing so by and large moot, it sours the environment in which the divorce talks are taking place unnecessarily. It almost seems like the British side is vying for complete chaos on departure. It may not result in a shooting war, but otherwise could have all the trappings of one with closed borders and extremely hard boycots.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'd have said that the withdrawal was a hostile act in itself already.
    Not toward Iceland it's not.

Not toward Iceland it's not.
    I know that. But it's an example that belies the whole talk about leaving the EU, not Europe. This Brexiteer lot is out to cause as much damage as they can.
    Congratulations America

Brexit: Vote Leave chief who created £350m NHS claim on bus admits leaving EU could be 'an error'

Yeah yeah. Laugh it up as the fuckwits who got the UK to this point realise that they flushed the country down the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

He didn't say it is an error, he said it could be. "In some possible branches of the future leaving will be an error". Key is not to go down those branches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'd have said that the withdrawal was a hostile act in itself already. Not only was doing so by and large moot, it sours the environment in which the divorce talks are taking place unnecessarily. It almost seems like the British side is vying for complete chaos on departure. It may not result in a shooting war, but otherwise could have all the trappings of one with closed borders and extremely hard boycots.
    Tough shit. Rejecting Cameron's renegotiation attempts out of hand was a hostile act. Rejecting British concerns and unhappiness with the way the project was going for the last 30 years was a hostile act. You don't get to keep an unhappy partner on board indefinitely and then act shocked when they finally decide to quit.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    He didn't say it is an error, he said it could be. "In some possible branches of the future leaving will be an error". Key is not to go down those branches.
    He did say that the referendum was a dumb thing to do and that it was also shaping up to be a guaranteed debacle.

You're really channeling Comical Ali once again.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

He's a drama queen. Everything is one extreme or another and if its not done his way then time for hysteria. He wants Brexit to be less so-called Remainer May's views and more his, as do I but I wouldn't act hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

Tough shit. Rejecting Cameron's renegotiation attempts out of hand was a hostile act. Rejecting British concerns and unhappiness with the way the project was going for the last 30 years was a hostile act. You don't get to keep an unhappy partner on board indefinitely and then act shocked when they finally decide to quit.
    Oh my God, you are such an idiot. Rather than to accept the fact that you have decided to leave the EU and desperately need that very same EU to give you a deal, any deal, you decide that it's smart or expedient to act in a way which is certain to make us simply let you fall off the cliff and deal with the aftermath.
    Nothing that happened before matters; we don't care what you wanted inside the EU or how much Cameron was humiliated because we didn't want to be part of your intra-Tory blood feud. As things stand; you are OUT, and as an OUTSIDER you are trying to strike a deal with us, something we still prefer over a no-deal ending. If you (your entire government) spends the next 20 months as a petulant teenager acting as if you can get your way by being bloody difficult enough you've got something coming, but it won't be anything you like.
    Congratulations America