Page 161 of 164 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,830 of 4891

Thread: Brexit Begins

  1. #4801
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    RB knew all along that a once-in-a-century pandemic was coming along that would make Nissan announce a change of plans, and factored that into his Brexit calculus.
    Indeed.

    Only idiots could think that Nissan would be driven in this decision by the fact that it would have no tariffs on the cars it builds in Japan for the EU market, but 10% on cars it would build in the EU for the British market. It would be totally irresponsible of the management of Nissan to want to make some money on the cars they produce for the British market.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  2. #4802
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    6,094
    I'm calling it now: BlowJob will get his "No deal" and then will proceed to blame everyone else and Covid-19 for the fallout.

    Rand, remember that I said that this would happen. I'll remind you of it.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  3. #4803
    You said there'd be a global pandemic? When did you say that?

    Absolutely COVID19 is a real economic catastrophe not Brexit. No deal during the carnage of COVID19 makes a lot of sense, if we're going to do it then best to do it while there's already disruption so that companies adjust to a post-COVID, post-EU, post-transition new economic world all at once. Absolutely pointless extending transition now.

    It was already extremely unlikely but there is absolutely zero point in the UK extending transition now due to COVID, so if we end up walking away (which I have always suggested is more likely than you have) then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  4. #4804
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    I'm starting to wonder who's in charge of strategy at Nissan Europe, if anyone at all is.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  5. #4805
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    You said there'd be a global pandemic? When did you say that?
    Precisely never *). As always, I'm astounded at your complete incapability of understanding your own language. I made a prediction based on current events.

    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No deal during the carnage of COVID19 makes a lot of sense
    Indeed. If your house is burning down you might as well quit your job and shoot the dog.

    But you obviously didn't quite catch what I was talking about: Namely that anything which negatively affects your economy from now on will be blamed on Covid-19. Come hell or high water, BlowJo and his ilk won't ever admit that some of those negative outcomes can be placed straight at his feet for being so astoundingly stupid.

    Then again, he did not cover himself with glory anyway, so in reality he look plenty stupid either way. But remember: As soon as anyone points out that "X is a result from a no-deal", someone from your government will jump right in and say that Covid is the real culprit.

    ________________________
    *) As in: A specific pandemic. I've pretty much always agreed with virologists and epidemiologists that we'd very likely see another one - though I'd have put my money on one of the Influenza variants (e.g. H5N1). It never was a question of "if" but rather "when" and "what".
    Last edited by Khendraja'aro; 06-03-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  6. #4806
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Hey Randy, are you enjoying being pushed closer to the edge? Seems like Barnier was spelling out what your Brexiteer buddies called 'project fear', and the rest of us simply call Brexit. The main point being that without an agreement, nothing stays the same. From day 1.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  7. #4807
    Yeah great. It needs to be spelt out clearly so businesses have six months to adapt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  8. #4808
    What do you think of the news that Unilever is moving its headquarters from being divided between the UK and Netherlands to solely Rotterdam which was put down as due to Brexit?
    https://www.ft.com/content/4fcd127c-...e-cc62a39d57a0
    When a 130-year-old company and mainstay of the FTSE 100 decides that an iconic building on the banks of the Thames, just down from the Houses of Parliament, is no longer viable as its global headquarters, it sums up waning confidence in post-Brexit Britain. Make no mistake, this is a devastating blow for prime minister Theresa May — and only strengthens the hand of the EU in Brexit negotiations. Moving to a single legal entity based in the Netherlands means some jobs will move from the UK and, even if Unilever maintains a listing of its shares on the London Stock Exchange, those shares will disappear from Britain’s blue-chip index — unless a special exemption can be granted. It is yet more self-inflicted economic harm.

    Hold on, Prime Minister May? Oh, they've done a volte-face and are now moving the headquarters to solely the UK instead. Nevermind, I guess that will fall under "despite Brexit".
    https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4465716.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  9. #4809
    As it should, given the rationale provided in the article.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  10. #4810
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What do you think of the news that Unilever is moving its headquarters from being divided between the UK and Netherlands to solely Rotterdam which was put down as due to Brexit?
    https://www.ft.com/content/4fcd127c-...e-cc62a39d57a0
    When a 130-year-old company and mainstay of the FTSE 100 decides that an iconic building on the banks of the Thames, just down from the Houses of Parliament, is no longer viable as its global headquarters, it sums up waning confidence in post-Brexit Britain. Make no mistake, this is a devastating blow for prime minister Theresa May — and only strengthens the hand of the EU in Brexit negotiations. Moving to a single legal entity based in the Netherlands means some jobs will move from the UK and, even if Unilever maintains a listing of its shares on the London Stock Exchange, those shares will disappear from Britain’s blue-chip index — unless a special exemption can be granted. It is yet more self-inflicted economic harm.

    Hold on, Prime Minister May? Oh, they've done a volte-face and are now moving the headquarters to solely the UK instead. Nevermind, I guess that will fall under "despite Brexit".
    https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4465716.html
    AFAIK that was never about Brexit but about tax breaks for shareholders.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  11. #4811
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    As it should, given the rationale provided in the article.
    Sure. When the change was the other direction it was because of Brexit, when its the reverse its despite Brexit. Good to get some consistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  12. #4812
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    AFAIK that was never about Brexit but about tax breaks for shareholders.
    I don't think its because of Brexit either. But I think its because "Project Fear" was hysterical nonsense and companies see a future in post-Brexit Britain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  13. #4813
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Sure. When the change was the other direction it was because of Brexit, when its the reverse its despite Brexit. Good to get some consistency.
    It's in the article, you should read it.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  14. #4814
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's in the article, you should read it.
    I did, I was calling out the hypocrisy of those like the FT who said the polar opposite when the shoe was on the other foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  15. #4815
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I did, I was calling out the hypocrisy of those like the FT who said the polar opposite when the shoe was on the other foot.
    Perhaps you can link those articles as well so that we can read them?
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  16. #4816
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What do you think of the news that Unilever is moving its headquarters from being divided between the UK and Netherlands to solely Rotterdam which was put down as due to Brexit?
    https://www.ft.com/content/4fcd127c-...e-cc62a39d57a0
    When a 130-year-old company and mainstay of the FTSE 100 decides that an iconic building on the banks of the Thames, just down from the Houses of Parliament, is no longer viable as its global headquarters, it sums up waning confidence in post-Brexit Britain. Make no mistake, this is a devastating blow for prime minister Theresa May — and only strengthens the hand of the EU in Brexit negotiations. Moving to a single legal entity based in the Netherlands means some jobs will move from the UK and, even if Unilever maintains a listing of its shares on the London Stock Exchange, those shares will disappear from Britain’s blue-chip index — unless a special exemption can be granted. It is yet more self-inflicted economic harm.

    Hold on, Prime Minister May? Oh, they've done a volte-face and are now moving the headquarters to solely the UK instead. Nevermind, I guess that will fall under "despite Brexit".
    https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4465716.html
    We will see if the research included the notion that the EU will actively discourage London’s role as a European financial hub. The previous board wanted to move to Rotterdam. Does it matter much to me? Ask Americans and Italians if the consider Chrysler and Fiat Dutch.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  17. #4817
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    AFAIK that was never about Brexit but about tax breaks for shareholders.
    Tax breaks in the Netherlands and an obligation to divest that British shareholders couldn’t have lived with. The move to Rotterdam have made Unilever entirely Dutch in a more profound way.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  18. #4818
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Anyway, there never was a project fear, there’s just consequences of Brexit. Consequences Brexiteers never expected or accepted. Or in the case of the dumbest amongst them; don’t understand.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  19. #4819
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Perhaps you can link those articles as well so that we can read them?
    I did, in the indent with the quotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  20. #4820
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I did, in the indent with the quotation.
    ARE YOU SURE YOU READ THE ARTICLE RANDBLERGH
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  21. #4821
    Why are you shouting? I quoted the relevant snippet I was referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  22. #4822
    Perhaps you should've quoted the entire article, so as to include the other snippets relevant to your criticism of the FT.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  23. #4823
    I quoted the relevant section, if you have more to say then spit it out and say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  24. #4824
    Now its been officially confirmed that Britain won't extend transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  25. #4825
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Now its been officially confirmed that Britain won't extend transition.
    Cool. Now I hope that you will bugger off next month without continuing negotiations.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  26. #4826
    Not going to happen. This is going to end the way Brexiteers always said it would - with the British negotiating with Merkel.

    Merkel and German industry wants a deal, Merkel hasn't wanted to step on European toes but the timing has already been agreed that it is Merkel's tenure of Presidency of the EU that will sort this out. Funny coincidence that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  27. #4827
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I quoted the relevant section, if you have more to say then spit it out and say it.
    You did not quote the relevant section, because the "section" relevant to your inane criticism of FT is the entire article.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  28. #4828
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,030
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not going to happen. This is going to end the way Brexiteers always said it would - with the British negotiating with Merkel.

    Merkel and German industry wants a deal, Merkel hasn't wanted to step on European toes but the timing has already been agreed that it is Merkel's tenure of Presidency of the EU that will sort this out. Funny coincidence that!
    I see you're strong in your faith. Too bad what you believe is such rubbish. Even if Merkel would be willing to give you what you want, it's not possible for her to go against the EP.
    Last edited by Hazir; 06-12-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  29. #4829
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    You did not quote the relevant section, because the "section" relevant to your inane criticism of FT is the entire article.
    The FT were prepared to call Unilever's decision summing up "waning confidence in post-Brexit Britain." To call it a "devastating blow" that would "strengthen the hand of the EU". Whether the decision was apparently about Brexit or not at the time.

    Yet when the shoe is on the other foot its simply "despite Brexit". Just as everything else good is always "despite Brexit".

    There's a word for that. That word is hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  30. #4830
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I see you're strong in your faith. Too bad what you believe is such rubbish. Even if Merkel would be willing to give you what you want, it's not possible for her to go against the EP.
    The EP will do what its told. The idea the EU's 27 nations will agree a deal with the UK only to see the EP reject it simply isn't going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •