Page 164 of 206 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,920 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

They are the voices in your head?
    Congratulations America

Today another set of talks was cut short. The Commission didn't comment in words as much as in action by publishing stakeholder preparation notes for the 1st of January.
    Congratulations America

Funny, after Barnier explained the Brextards from the ERG what they voted for last year they suddenly want to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement.
    Congratulations America

Hey Randy, any news on the 50,000 new customs officers that have to be hired over the next few months? Surprising that you need so many extra civil servants now that you're no longer using the services of the 35,000 civil servants working at the Commission and Agencies.

P.S. Congrats on starting negotiations with Liechtenstein.
    Congratulations America

We're doing alright at recruiting them as far as I understand. Will cost a fraction of the now more than £350mn a week gross that we were paying previously.

At a UK politics site I go to someone else put it best today. Can't say it much simpler than this - and I wonder if you agree or disagree with him:

The EU and the UK are best apart.

The UK is no longer part of a project it has never had any real - a few posters on here apart - enthusiasm for.

And the EU no longer has a member that doesn't want to be there.

General De Gaulle was right, we were never the right fit for the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What do you think is different about us that makes us not a "right fit" for the European community?

I guess you can hire some lorry-drivers that are going to lose their jobs real soon. Given that 3/4 of them no longer will be allowed on the roads in Europe.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    What do you think is different about us that makes us not a "right fit" for the European community?
    The EU wants ever closer union. We didn't. For decades now we were only half engaged with their project.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, yes. I wonder what would have happened if significant elements of the press had reported positive things about the EU instead of decades of lies and attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The EU wants ever closer union. We didn't. For decades now we were only half engaged with their project.
    You lot only want closer union with countries on the other side of one of the oceans, thinking that you're special because you're white and speak English.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    You lot only want closer union with countries on the other side of one of the oceans, thinking that you're special because you're white and speak English.
    What's colour got to do with it? Which EU nations aren't white?

The English is relevant. Though the Canucks can speak French too.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I would say that it's that 1 in 2 Brits think it's better to pay 7 billion a year on border controls and creating trouble for yourselves than to spend less money and have a good working system in union with your neighbours. That makes you pretty unique.
    Congratulations America

What's colour got to do with it? Which EU nations aren't white?

The English is relevant. Though the Canucks can speak French too.
    Well, the thing is that you don't have much choice inside Europe, but interestingly between all of the other countries in the world it's only the majority white ones that you really like to cozy up to. So yes, I think color plays a big role in this. I am certain Asians are very aware of how happy you are to open the door to Australians.
    Congratulations America

Oh so you mean that having close relations with our kin in other nations that have long been aligned with us, are [and were even when we were EU members] our closest and most trusted allies and for whom we all share the same Head of State?

Yeah super weird, must be race.

I think that's a fair reason to want out. What I object to is how some people deny that this also comes with costs and other downsides.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I think that's a fair reason to want out. What I object to is how some people deny that this also comes with costs and other downsides.
    Of course it will.

But COVID19 has made me even more glad we got out in time. According to this Irish article if we'd still been in the EU we would under that deal just agreed be on the hook for €80 billion.

Interesting to see the Irish now are very much net contributors and not net recipients anymore. That changed before Brexit but I believe Brexit has exaggerated that change and I wonder whether that will impact their politics.

https://gript.ie/ireland-eu-budget-c...tion-going-up/

Typical brexitard remark about Ireland; like they would only care about the pocket change they contribute to the budget. Like they didn't notice that somehow they moved from one of the poorest European country to one of the richest because of their membership of the EU. Like they didn't notice that being inside the EU gave them the leverage to pry NI from your grip.

I'm glad you are out; and tbh I think I kind of enjoy this extremely long 'told you so'. And we're not even at the beginning of Brexiteer fantasies being ground into dust. In 5 months you will have even less control than today. And it already is very obvious that major policy choices for the UK aren't taken in London at all. You weren't even allowed to make up your own mind about Huawei being involved in your 5G network. Next year you'll be back begging.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Is it though? I think it's only valid if you can make true on the claim that sovereignty of a small country on its own is bigger than the sovereignty of that same country as a part of a bigger union. Which is very obviously not the case. On security they are living by American rules, on trade by European rules and in the rest they have Russia and China to contend with. Russia has about as much respect for them as the average person respects his doormat and in return for its murdering and meddling gets the government to cover up their anti-UK activities. And China, well, we can all very well imagine what China feels about British huffing and puffing.

The reality of that 'fair reason' is entirely different than what Brits believe or are made to believe, and that means that it's just an act of national self harm. Sometimes entire nations can be wrong acting on their strongest impulses rather than reason.
    Congratulations America

Brexitard IDS apparently now regrets to have voted against proper scrutiny of the withdrawal agreement; he wants it re-negotiated now that he's been forced to read it. Maybe he could have put in an effort before voting in favor of it?
    Congratulations America

IDS is an blithering idiot.

We don't need to scrutinise anything when it comes to Brexit. You either agree with Boris and Cummings or you get kicked out of the party. If all else fails illegally suspend parliament.

We're taking back control and it's great to finally have some sovereignty and democracy.

It is, isn't it?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So much for Mutti Merkel coming to your rescue:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ssadors-summit
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

That's great news

You really believe it's a good thing when your country isn't worth a spot on the agenda of your single biggest trading partner on the eve of a radical reconfiguration of your relationship with that partner?

Brexiteers are really blinkered.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So much for Mutti Merkel coming to your rescue:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ssadors-summit
    That's great news
    You really believe it's a good thing when your country isn't worth a spot on the agenda of your single biggest trading partner on the eve of a radical reconfiguration of your relationship with that partner?

welcome to another game of Brexitball, where the objective is to score own-goals by swiftly moving the goalposts while loudly singing Rule Britannia
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

This never gets old,

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

welcome to another game of Brexitball, where the objective is to score own-goals by swiftly moving the goalposts while loudly singing Rule Britannia
    Don't forget I called out his idiocy long before that got fashionable. But even I am surprised he's content with getting the utter disregard he back when claimed could never happen to his Great Britain.

I thought this level of masochistic reveling needed a public school education. With board of course. I stand corrected.
    Congratulations America

Yes I think it's great. We have you exactly where I want you to be at this point. It's as good as I could have hoped for.

You guys can't be misguided enough to still be missing the obvious and why I'm delighted by that article?

You guys still don't get us, you really don't. It's funny.