Page 17 of 206 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Begins

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-carwyn-jones

Drama, drama drama.

Interesting to see the implicit concession on the matter of the bill.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    So Randy, you think Ryanair's confirmation that it will move planes out of the UK and will cancel UK EU flights after Brexit, is just for laughs ?

In other news, Barniers has demanded that the UK states its position on the single financial settlement in principle. That means the headlines in British newspapers probably will be about either May or Davis saying that the UK will pay.
    I know I quoting myself, but couldn't stop myself from pointin out that Davis again folded at the minimum pressure applied. The UK will pay, and probably well after Brexit into the EU. You still like Johnson shooting off crap that sets up your government for showdowns that it loses every single time Randy? You really think his Empire mark II narative is in the interest of your country?

I must say I am starting to enjoy this all out annihalation of the fantasies of the Breximaniacs by the simple truth that if they are so desperate to take back control, we can't do but take back control as well.
    Congratulations America

And now Easyjet is making it' s own Brexit, all the way to Vienna.
    Congratulations America

This is appearantly why the Brits turned over the whole apple cart; the introduction of a register of EU citizens living in their borders.
    Congratulations America

Add to that the big plan of simply staying put for another three years, without the voting rights. Brexit = Brexit = like watching a car crash. I guess Randy likes it not so much any longer since he realised he's in the car doing the crashing.
    Congratulations America

I never said transition would be easy. A lot of good things to do go through much harder transitions. Keeping the rights sans voting on a time limited basis may be a better compromise solution than listening to the headbangers saying hard exit or the headbangers saying stay in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I never said transition would be easy. A lot of good things to do go through much harder transitions. Keeping the rights sans voting on a time limited basis may be a better compromise solution than listening to the headbangers saying hard exit or the headbangers saying stay in.
    There already is no staying in. Also complete surrender isn't a compromise; it's complete surrender.
    Congratulations America

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Britain is more powerful than Russia?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

He puts the his profession to shame, that's all.

And how do you feel yourself Randy? One year after having voted in favor of overthrowing the feeling of security of 4 million people in and outside of the UK? Is that why you post articles that supposedly should convince us that the UK is not a basket case in most every field and that somehow you were justified in your callous behavior as a voter?

As for the Russians; you needed your asses to be saved by them (and the Americans) last time round, and there is no way anybody would be foolish enough to see you in the same category as them.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Britain is more powerful than Russia?
    Yes.

Hazir, I should hope we're not in the same category as Russia.

Russia GDP: $1.268 trillion
    UK GDP: $2.65 trillion.

Russia GDP per capita by PPP: $26,100
    UK GDP per capita by PPP: $42,500

Yes.

And yet Russia is vastly more powerful than the UK. As it has been for the last 70 years.

I see you chose not to answer the question how you feel about your role in creating insecurity for 4 million people. Guess you must have some shame left in you then.
    Congratulations America

Yes.

Why do you switch from nominal terms in the first comparison to PPP in the latter? Is it because the PPP comparison of overall GDP doesn't give you the result you want?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

On a global scale, nominal terms demonstrate the real wealth of a nation. Since exchange rates and prices for goods and commodities etc are global it shows what the nation can buy and sell on the global marketplace.

PPP terms on a solo basis give what an individual can afford in their local marketplace. It assists relatively impoverished nations like Russia by mitigating for the fact that their workers aren't paid much. Had I not switched and used nominal terms for both then that would have flattered the UK more.

On a global scale, nominal terms demonstrate the real wealth of a nation. Since exchange rates and prices for goods and commodities etc are global it shows what the nation can buy and sell on the global marketplace.

PPP terms on a solo basis give what an individual can afford in their local marketplace. It assists relatively impoverished nations like Russia by mitigating for the fact that their workers aren't paid much. Had I not switched and used nominal terms for both then that would have flattered the UK more.
    And neither makes you a power of the level of Russia. If the Russians would loose all the military capability you have they'd still have enough left to kick your asses and then some more. Brexiteers trying to talk up the UK to the level of the British Empire are risible; the way you are going you'll soon be never at the table but always on the menu.
    Congratulations America

Cut the crap, the Russians couldn't kick our asses. Trident alone makes sure of that. A war between the UK and Russia would see mutual assured destruction on both sides so it won't happen.

The British Empire at its peak was unparalleled before or since, but that's not what anyone is speaking about. Nobody said that the UK is the same as the British Empire, in fact the article specifically says that comparisons with the British Empire are fallacious since for most of our history we didn't have that like that.

For the last 500 years or so the British Empire was just a small portion of that, but England/the UK has consistently been one of the top 6 or so nations in the globe. Today the UK is one of the top 6 or so nations in the globe. Nothing's changed.

Only if you go by land area (mostly due to the empty Canada and Australia). If you go by portion of the world's population, Britain barely makes the top 10. If you go by distance between that empire and its nearest competitor, I doubt Britain makes the top 10.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Only if you go by land area (mostly due to the empty Canada and Australia). If you go by portion of the world's population, Britain barely makes the top 10. If you go by distance between that empire and its nearest competitor, I doubt Britain makes the top 10.
    Oh gosh, your nuclear deterrent. Because that is such an effective tactic; how positively North Korean.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What are the too 10 wealthiest nations?
    What are the top 10 best funded militaries?
    Oh gosh, your nuclear deterrent. Because that is such an effective tactic; how positively North Korean.
    Yes it is.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 08-03-2017 at 09:41 PM.

I thought we were talking about all-time empires...
    Hope is the denial of reality

A few points:

1) In a nuclear war between the UK and Russia, Russia would lose Moscow and maybe a few other cities, the UK would be obliterated. Hardly 'mutually assured destruction'
    2) In scenarios of non-nuclear conflict, it's not really at all clear who would come out on top. If Russia thinks it's going to invade the UK, that's not going to happen. The reverse is also obviously also completely impossible. Otherwise it depends on the specific scenario: we could probably stop them invading Iceland, but we couldn't do shit if they decided to attack Georgia or the Ukraine
    3) None of the above would ever happen because of this little thing you've maybe heard of: NATO
    4) Russia has a large military, but most of it is just left over from the Soviet Union. They haven't really been able to find the money to modernize, at least until recently. Remember when they were going to build 4 carriers before 2020 or something? Jimmy Hill. Anyway, no one really knows how much of the stuff they have on paper is usable.
    5) This whole tangent is super-dumb, what does this even have to do with Brexit? No one gives a fuck about how many tanks or ships you've got when they're deciding on trade deals or whatever, this isn't the 1800s where you can just enforce treaties with gunboats. This is some pissing contest by proxy, isn't it?
    6) Now I'm subscribed to this stupid thread
    7) I hate you both
    8) What is wrong with you people, God
    9) Fucking hell
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    A few points:

1) In a nuclear war between the UK and Russia, Russia would lose Moscow and maybe a few other cities, the UK would be obliterated. Hardly 'mutually assured destruction'
    2) In scenarios of non-nuclear conflict, it's not really at all clear who would come out on top. If Russia thinks it's going to invade the UK, that's not going to happen. The reverse is also obviously also completely impossible. Otherwise it depends on the specific scenario: we could probably stop them invading Iceland, but we couldn't do shit if they decided to attack Georgia or the Ukraine
    3) None of the above would ever happen because of this little thing you've maybe heard of: NATO
    4) Russia has a large military, but most of it is just left over from the Soviet Union. They haven't really been able to find the money to modernize, at least until recently. Remember when they were going to build 4 carriers before 2020 or something? Jimmy Hill. Anyway, no one really knows how much of the stuff they have on paper is usable.
    5) This whole tangent is super-dumb, what does this even have to do with Brexit? No one gives a fuck about how many tanks or ships you've got when they're deciding on trade deals or whatever, this isn't the 1800s where you can just enforce treaties with gunboats. This is some pissing contest by proxy, isn't it?
    6) Now I'm subscribed to this stupid thread
    7) I hate you both
    8) What is wrong with you people, God
    9) Fucking hell
    I see you're doing that BBC thing where both sides of the debate are given equal treatment. As if thumping your chest about how big you are (RandBlade) is the same as saying that doing so is ridiculous. It's kind of puzzling too as you then continue to basically say the same as what I said (it's not relevant).

Finally, you may like it or not but RandBlade voted to make you part of Brexit. There is no neutrality option for you left.

Except I've not once thumped my chest about how big we are, I've rebutted your insane claims about how puny we are. There's a difference.

I see you're doing that BBC thing where both sides of the debate are given equal treatment. As if thumping your chest about how big you are (RandBlade) is the same as saying that doing so is ridiculous. It's kind of puzzling too as you then continue to basically say the same as what I said (it's not relevant).

Finally, you may like it or not but RandBlade voted to make you part of Brexit. There is no neutrality option for you left.
    Hi Hazir,

If you'd just like to go over my last three points again, I feel they are my strongest arguments on this matter, and reward closer reading.

Cheers
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The Russia tangent was a natural one to explore due to the article RB posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Hi Hazir,

If you'd just like to go over my last three points again, I feel they are my strongest arguments on this matter, and reward closer reading.

Cheers
    No, they are not your strongest argument they are your biggest failures over the last decade or so; I am not living in a country, city that is heavily affected by the vote of our resident Brexit cheerleader and similar clueless twats. I don't have a job paid in money that has lost 15% of its value on the mere idea that you're going to leave the EU. April 2019 will not bring any significant changes in my life.

I don't have any dogs in this race so to say.

However much you like to call this a pissing contest between others that has no relations to your real life; the reality is that you are the one who gets screwed over by Randyboy and his ilk and you still think you are a non-interested third party who can hate us both the same way.

So, what about you giving up the fantasy that you're Switzerland where you are really just plain old Belgium?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The Russia tangent was a natural one to explore due to the article RB posted.
    Yeah, well, one could also ignore it as just another example of his distorted notion of the superduper greatness of mummy Britain. But - troll coming up - given the utter spinelessness of his so-called pro-EU(ropean) compatriots, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Taking up the gauntlet as if anybody is actually interested in the comparison of military powers between the UK and the Russian Federation though, to me seems like a generous waste of energy. Not picking the battles worth fighting so to say.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    A portent of things to come:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...visa-nightmare

Rulings made by braindead bureaucrats. Bravo.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Yet another shining example of why we need as little government action as possible. Government bureaucrats are box ticking morons.

Well how else are they going to reduce immigration to 10,000 per year?