Page 183 of 206 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,490 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I'd also like evidence that in those examples the actions were accepted and supported by both the national and international community.
    I have no doubt it's common esp. wrt human rights obligations, but those nations who pull such "power moves" ( )—"all the time"—tend to be pariah states, typically under corrupt authoritarian regimes.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

And surprise surprise, they have dropped the project of breaking the law. For now at least.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    And saying "nations do it all the time" is also piss-poor reasoning to do so yourself. Not that I am aware of such things being broken all the time.
    For someone who thinks that his country is taking the high road here, the kindergarten-level of argument: "But they do it as well!" is astounding.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Sssshhh.

Brexit is good for manufacturing, it's good for employment opportunities, it's good for Britain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Just remember we won't see the benefits of Brexit for around 50 years or so.

Serious question: anybody knows what De Pfeffel is traveling to Brussels for? Is food in Downing street that appalling?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Serious question: anybody knows what De Pfeffel is traveling to Brussels for? Is food in Downing street that appalling?
    just desserts on the menu

He's going to have his cake AND eat it!

Which I hope he does. Hoping his charm and wit will swoon UvdL into submission.

Go Boris! Do it for us!

He's going to have his cake AND eat it!

Which I hope he does. Hoping his charm and wit will swoon UvdL into submission.

Go Boris! Do it for us!
    LOL!
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It seems we're temporarily relaxing driving hour regulations for lorry drivers in order to keep supply chains running.

That sounds.....shit.

Also news tonight that most UK citizens will not be allowed to travel to the EU under covid restrictions come January.

Also a bit shit.

Seems like the outcome of the meeting is; more talks about the possibility of talks. And possibly about the end of talking in the next few days.
    Congratulations America

Whatever happens we can be sure of two things:

1) It'll be a great victory for the UK.
    2) It'll be exactly as RB predicted.

To be fair I've put my predictions and opinions out there. So if it goes against my predictions then that is quite provable. I don't think it will though.

I'm not a partisan line taker. I was scathingly critical about Theresa May for instance from before she became PM even.

Not a Brexit issue but to be frank no foreign travel during the pandemic is something we should have done since March at least in hindsight. Jackasses going to get pissed in Spain in the summer then going on pub crawls helped spark the second wave.

Between a vaccine rollout and a halt to foreign travel if it does occur then the pandemic waves of hospitalisations should be wiped out relatively quickly early next year.

Anyone unvaccinated should not be travelling overseas. I have no intention of doing so. Though as I said not a Brexit issue just a don't be a dickhead during a pandemic issue.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

His waffle under your message makes me feel he'll claim he never believed there would be an agreement to start with. Which he will then defend by re-defining what he meant with a 'deal'. And then he'll think that it matters.
    Congratulations America

To be clear I don't know if there'll be a deal or not - it depends upon whether the EU compromises or not and I don't and can't know that. So I'm not claiming there will be a deal definitely.

What I have said is that your prediction that the UK will simply sign on the dotted line of whatever the EU puts before us is false. That all your ranting about how you guys were going to "write" Brexit which is what you wrote time and again here was nonsense.

There will either be no deal, or a compromise that suits us. If I'm wrong and Johnson capitulates to the EU ensuring EU sovereignty with the EU writing UK laws determined in EU courts then I would be very annoyed and want Johnson replaced.

Who is Johnson?
    Congratulations America

Excellent thread.

I guess you could look at it that way. Another argument might be that they are doing everything in their power to protect the SM. Something we would expect if, say, Germany left the EU.

Why do they feel the need to "protect" it from an FTA though?

Why don't all their customs requirements etc provide enough advantage to protect it in their own right?

I'm not sure. I know little about this field.

This is the level playing field stuff, right? It's probably an imperfect system and, with the 5th largest economy on their doorstep, they want to ensure that our success dodesn't come as a detriment to their market - which seems very reasonable I think. If we want access to their market, we should agree not to damage it "unfairly" (e.g. through state aid or lowering of regulations and standards).

Eh, it's actually a very simple desire to ensure that UK producers at some point are able to compete within the single market while being subject to a lighter regime. Thus either disadvantaging EU companies or force our hands to copy your regulations. We're not going to enter a race to the bottom and we're not going to run our businesses out of our own market.

FYI. The EU doesn't allow other trade partners to do that and we're not about to start it with an aggressive neighbor state.
    Congratulations America

EU minimum wage €1.95 per hour.

Yeah we are the one with the low standards.

But yes the EU are probably right to be concerned that the world's fifth largest economy, free to act alone, might outcompete them. So why are so many in this country afraid of that?

That's a minimum minimum wage, not a mandatory minimum wage. One that our democratically elected agreed to.

And who's "afraid"? I'm not scared. I just don't see that the benefits of Brexit outweigh the costs, and disagree entirely with this "take back control/sovereignty" argument.

There is no EU mandated minimum wage.
    Congratulations America

Randy wants us to acknowledge UK sovereignty by throwing away our own.
    Congratulations America

The UK outcompeting the EU?

Only reason the UK is the 5th largest economy, punching well above the weight of a country this size, is due to London being the world centre of financial services, and the financial gateway to Europe for AsiaPac and the US. With banks having left or in the process of leaving London and headquartering in the EU, London is already no longer the financial gateway to Europe, and is steadily losing it's place as the global hub of financial services. And the London decline will continue into 2021 and 2022, with the corresponding rise of financial services provision from Paris, Frankfurt, and Dublin.

This is a substantial hit to the UK exchequer and for the future of this country.

Nevermind outcompeting EU, that's a silly joke. Whatever 'outcompeting' actually means.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 12-10-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

My understanding though is that Brexit isn't about the economic benefitsh so a big hit to the exchequer is completely expected.

Brexit is about sovereignty. IDS said it perfectly yesterday in a tweet: "you either have sovereignty or you don't". As can be implied by that, sovereignty is binary. There is no middle ground. No spectrum. No complexity. Therefore I see Brexit as only phase 1. Next phases include disbanding the UK, leaving NATO, the UN, the commonwealth and all other parties that involve any kind of agreement or treaty with others such that England can once and for all, finally, be an independent and free state.

Surely the WTO must be the first step.

Yes I realised I missed that. No sovereign nation could ever sign up to the WTO.