Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Results 1,021 to 1,034 of 1034

Thread: Brexit Begins

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Any solution will, as we Germans say, attempt to square a circle.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

In other news... no passporting. I say "news" but obviously expected by everyone.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    In other news... no passporting. I say "news" but obviously expected by everyone.
    Oh well. Anything that any Brexiteer of any denomination ever saw as possible after Brexit is proving to be just another pipe dream so this should be no surprise to anyone.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post

It'll certainly be interesting to see how this is resolved.
    Trade deal so no hard border between A and D. Its not us insisting upon a hard border between A and D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Trade deal so no hard border between A and D. Its not us insisting upon a hard border between A and D.
    I thought leavers explicitly voted for a "hard border"? Wait, actually, I don't think they collectively had a clue what they were voting for

And anyway, on trade, the EU won't budge and rightly so (from their perspective). MB today: "Those who say Britain can enjoy parts of the single market must stop this contradiction... The integrity of the SM is non-negotiable".

Pretty sure we knew this before we voted, but let's just hope David Davies et al can persuade them otherwise. Are you confident they can?

I thought leavers explicitly voted for a "hard border"?
    Leavers [as a whole, I was not that bothered] voted for migration control but that's not an issue. Migration control doesn't happen at the border, it happens when getting a job, place of residence etc

When I hire somebody I need to take proof of right to work in the UK, I can go to prison if I hire someone who doesn't have the right to work in the UK. I have been on holiday to multiple nations where I have no right to work without ever getting a visa. If you want to you could get plane tickets today without a visa to visit Australia, the USA or Canada but good luck getting a legal job in any of those nations without one!

Free movement across Ireland is not affected by border control between England and France which already exists anyway. Try getting from England to France without showing your passport to anyone already today - we're not in Schengen and neither are Ireland already. But even if the English/French border control was abolished that wouldn't affect control of migration very much.

So all that matters is trade and we can and should negotiate that.
    And anyway, on trade, the EU won't budge and rightly so (from their perspective). MB today: "Those who say Britain can enjoy parts of the single market must stop this contradiction... The integrity of the SM is non-negotiable".

Pretty sure we knew this before we voted, but let's just hope David Davies et al can persuade them otherwise. Are you confident they can?
    No but until we start talking we can't know what issues need addressing, it is a logical impossibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I thought leavers explicitly voted for a "hard border"?
    They did not. Most appeared to be more or less unaware of this problem and so voted for or endorsed policies that have a hard border as a necessary consequence (specifically, leaving SM & customs union).
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

They did not. Most appeared to be more or less unaware of this problem and so voted for or endorsed policies that have a hard border as a necessary consequence (specifically, leaving SM & customs union).
    I'm starting to favor putting the UK in the group of nations whose citizens need to apply for a visum for all types of visits.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

That's insane, it'll make it much more difficult to go watch musicals when they retaliate with their own visa requirements.
    — Bill Gates

That's insane, it'll make it much more difficult to go watch musicals when they retaliate with their own visa requirements.
    At most they'll introduce some e-visum you can get by paying €10 or so by credit card.

By the way, EMA goes to Amsterdam. That is good news for me I guess

Extremely sad day for corruption.

But not as sad as Sandro Gozi saying that losing the EMA contest is like losing the world cup on a coin toss.

Because apparently losing the EMA contest is the closest Italy is getting to the world cup finals

In more hilarious news:

— Bill Gates

Aaaand EBA to Paris.
    — Bill Gates

In other news... no passporting.
    Well there goes the country/ my job.
    "Scientists raise alarm: bananas can cause EU"

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Well there goes the country/ my job.
    So... somewhere else in Europe or SEA?
    — Bill Gates