Page 66 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why are you lying?

We were told it would happen after the vote, then that it was already happening because of the vote, then it wasn't happening yet only because Article 50 wasn't triggered yet. Then months and months of "but you haven't triggered Article 50" yet. Now its "was always going to be after exit". Lies, lies, lies. Do you think I'd forget all your prior posts?
    You were told? Certainly not by us.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Oh really?

You don't remember months of harping on about how the only reason the projections weren't coming true yet was that we hadn't triggered Article 50 for instance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Oh really?

You don't remember months of harping on about how the only reason the projections weren't coming true yet was that we hadn't triggered Article 50 for instance?
    No, we said that nothing has happened because you hadn't even taken the first step yet (i.e. Article 50). You then promptly interpreted that as "everything must happen instantly after Article 50".

Let me run that by you because you'll promptly fail to comprehend the distinction yet again:

A: "Nothing happened yet!"
    B: "Yes, because you haven't even jumped off the roof."
    A: "Well, I just jumped and I'm still in one piece!"

Ah right so Article 50 was irrelevant despite all the attention you gave it? Sort of like I said at the time.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Called it: Rand didn't comprehend in the slightest what I actually said.

Yes, Rand, it's completely irrelevant. Just like lighting a fuse is completely irrelevant for the following explosion.

Except there's not been an explosion - and people are intelligent enough to react to inevitabilities which is why the recession, banks moving etc was supposed to have happened by now.

No, incorrect. We know that major businesses such as banks, auto manufacturers etc were expecting the softest of soft Brexits until fairly recently, with free movement of labor, goods and services, passporting privileges etc. There has been little time to determine and act on high likelihood of losing these things. Even so, Brexit has already cost the the UK many hundreds of millions of pounds and reduced supply of workers in sectors with a high demand for workers. Many smaller businesses that depend on trade with the EU have little scope for moving anyway.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

What hundreds of millions of pounds?

Supply of workers is at a record high.

You'll have to look at estimates from businesses, BoE & govt, think tanks. Numerous reports & articles but I'm on my phone and can't easily get you the links. Availability of workers falls far short of demand in eg. healthcare, agri, hospitality etc.

You said "reduced supply". Supply is at a record high. Never in our entire history has supply ever been higher.

We do have record employment you are absolutely right despite a fast growing supply, not sure that makes Brexit a disaster.

The only reason we haven't yet hit recession is because the BoE moved heaven and Earth to protect us. Our growth forecasts and actuals since have been garbage.

Moved heaven and earth? We had a quarter point interest rate reduction which has already been reversed.

The only reason we had a Bank of England to act was because we hadn't join the Euro which Hazir has long argued with me that we should have done. You are right that the forecasts since have been rubbish with us outperforming the forecasts but forecasts are almost invariably wrong anyway.

Evidence from an "expert" but I guess you've probably had enough of them Aimless

....the public have become more positive about immigration. Far fewer see it as a major political priority and more see it as positive for Britain’s economy and culture. What is more, this shift is seen across the board — it isn’t a case of liberal “Remainers” rallying behind migrants, while migrant sceptic “Leavers” dig in their heels. The positive shift in attitudes seems to be occurring across the political and social spectrum.

....why isn’t this shift more widely known and discussed on the pro-migration, “Remain” side of politics. Here I must resort to anecdote and unrepresentative data a little, but it is my firm impression that politically active “Remainers” and migration liberals tend to believe things have become worse since Brexit......It does seem that the conventional wisdom among this unusually well informed and engaged group is that migration attitudes have hardened since Brexit. Yet the evidence robustly points in the opposite direction
    https://medium.com/@robfordmancs/how...t-e37881f55530

We had a quarter point interest rate reduction...
    ...and a £170bn package of stimulation measures which was specifically intended to prevent recession. Don't forget that.

We had £70bn of Quantitative Easing as the Bank had been doing for a long time, compared to £400bn before then.

Just for the heck of it ; Zuckerberg is going to testify at the EP tonight.
    Congratulations America

That is a person misrepresenting findings as well as failing to put them into context. If you look at the IPSOS-mori findings for example, despite the slight positive shift in the panel's attitudes (nb: cumulative response rates dropped from ca 80% to 30% necessitating a "top-up"), 28% were outright anti immigration and a majority wanted to reduce immigration (which is consistent with voting for a party that has pledged to reduce immigration by an order of magnitude). Opposition to immigration and desire to reduce immigration was most prevalent and strongest among Leave voters, esp. conservatives (where 90% wanted to reduce immigration).

Given UK's demographics you should expect a slow increase in positive attitudes with or without Brexit in a representative sample that includes 16-y-olds, a growing number of whom are immigrants or children of immigrants. In light of this it's not particularly bright or informative to report on the alleged shifts in attitudes at the population level.

He's an academic who works in that field but I guess you've had enough of experts.

He's an academic who works in that field but I guess you've had enough of experts.
    He's an academic working in the field misrepresenting his sources. You can confirm this yourself. This is really not going to prove to be a successful angle of attack for you.

He's not misrepresenting anything, if you think he is quote a paragraph he's written and show how its misrepresenting anything.

Please reread my post and then reread his post.

I'm not seeing what in your post shows how he's misrepresented anything in his. His article is titled "How have attitudes to immigration changed since Brexit"

You are quoting numbers out of context by simply saying numbers without any before or after figures which is what change measures.

Carney is the banker who cried wolf. Funnily enough the economy has outperformed all his predictions post-Brexit and even when ONS figures are released they are repeatedly revised upwards.

Also announced today has been a £5bn revision reducing the amount of borrowing over the past 12 months bringing our borrowing down even further below projections and leading to our first time in 16 years the UK's day to day spending has all been met by taxes. Public Sector Net Borrowing (excluding Banks and Bank of England QE) fell by over 3% in the past 12 months too despite being forecast to increase in the same period.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "crunch" when you guys finally hit the wall.

https://www.ft.com/content/dde5cd74-...4-2218e7146b04
    To avoid the paywall Google for: UK government borrowing falls to lowest level in decade

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable "crunch" when you guys finally hit the wall.
    The UK is the Road Runner to your wall

https://www.ft.com/content/dde5cd74-...4-2218e7146b04
    To avoid the paywall Google for: UK government borrowing falls to lowest level in decade
    This is finally some pleasing news resultant from Cameron's austerity measures.

Not sure why this is in the Brexit thread. The economic impacts of Brexit won't be known for many years after whatever changes are brought about as a result of the Brexit negotiations underway. Austerity leading to lowered borrowing has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I agree completely that Cameron/Osborne doing a good job is more important than whether we voted Leave/Remain.

Reason I posted it here is that its sort of a UK megathread and also because all the talk about Brexit was that it was going to crash the economy and lead to a ballooning deficit and a "punishment budget" would be necessary. That we're supposed to be crashing into a wall. Instead we have the first day-to-day budget surplus since 2001 when Gordon Brown turned the spending taps on.

Geeze, you really are daft.

A man jumped out of the window. People in the lower floors reported him stating: "Well, better than expected!" while he flew by.