Page 67 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Its been 2 years since we "jumped". If you can find a man still in the air 2 years after jumping then it would be impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Are you authistic ?
    Congratulations America

Are you retharded ?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Its been 2 years since we "jumped". If you can find a man still in the air 2 years after jumping then it would be impressive.
    It's an allegory, Rand. That means: "Not to be taken literally" (because I'm pretty sure that you don't know what an allegory is).

With that kind of skills at recognizing the meaning behind words or a sentence, it's no wonder that you're that inept at comprehending the problems ahead of you.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

It's more facetious than an allegory.

People are clever enough to realise when there's a wall ahead and take action accordingly which is why despite two years passing so far we're not suffering. Hence why a recession was supposed to be immediate following the shock of a leave vote, but wrong then and you're wrong now.

This Brexit thing is going to destroy the Tory party. I think it's done.

It's more facetious than an allegory.

People are clever enough to realise when there's a wall ahead and take action accordingly which is why despite two years passing so far we're not suffering. Hence why a recession was supposed to be immediate following the shock of a leave vote, but wrong then and you're wrong now.
    This is a stupid notion given that businesses expected negotiations to go smoothly (in no small part due to over-promising and obfuscation by govt) and expected at worst the softest of soft Brexits. It is very difficult to adjust to Brexit when there is so much uncertainty about how things are going to look after Brexit esp. wrt legal & regulatory matters, provided their business is such that they can completely compensate for Brexit at all. It is also difficult for large businesses to make major changes rapidly (ref. back to discussion about Brexiters reporting on positive post-ref business decisions as if they indicated optimism about Brexit even though the decisions were made a year prior to the referendum).
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    This Brexit thing is going to destroy the Tory party. I think it's done.
    The Tory party will last longer than the EU will. It's survived
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is a stupid notion given that businesses expected negotiations to go smoothly (in no small part due to over-promising and obfuscation by govt) and expected at worst the softest of soft Brexits. It is very difficult to adjust to Brexit when there is so much uncertainty about how things are going to look after Brexit esp. wrt legal & regulatory matters, provided their business is such that they can completely compensate for Brexit at all. It is also difficult for large businesses to make major changes rapidly (ref. back to discussion about Brexiters reporting on positive post-ref business decisions as if they indicated optimism about Brexit even though the decisions were made a year prior to the referendum).
    Your second argument counteracts your first. Yes rapid changes are hard to make so changes would be in motion already we were warned. Its not happened.

Khen is absurd arguing as if all changes will occur on exit day itself when we hit the wall/floor depending upon his failed allegory of the day. Businesses if they were expecting disaster would act before that precisely because its hard to avoid it when its too late.

Your second argument counteracts your first. Yes rapid changes are hard to make so changes would be in motion already we were warned.
    No, the fact that changes take time should lead us to expect a lag esp for companies that expect a very soft Brexit or if there is significant uncertainty about exactly how the future will look. Different scenarios require very different preparations and changes. Even where there may be a desire to make a major change, eg. moving to another country, it may be very difficult for logistical reasons eg. if you have a complex and sensitive supply chain.

Khen is absurd arguing as if all changes will occur on exit day itself when we hit the wall/floor depending upon his failed allegory of the day. Businesses if they were expecting disaster would act before that precisely because its hard to avoid it when its too late.
    Yes, Rand, there are a LOT of changes come Hard Brexit day. The borders will close, your airlines will have to stay on the ground, your banks will lose passporting from one day to the next. And that's not a complete list.

Currently your businesses are hoping that this will still be avoided. If, no when it turns out that you're unwilling, no, too inept to prevent this from happening then you'll really feel the pain.

I'll remind you of this next March. There's a reason why your airlines, for example, currently remind everyone who books a flight sometime beyond next March that they may be unable to honor the contract.

So much for the "max-fac solution": My comparison to TollCollect was, if anything, way too optimistic.

That thing would amount to up to 20 billion GBP per year. In short: The red bus with its 350 million GBP per week was right. It only lacked the minus sign.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...or-uk-business

Here's the perspective from someone who knows how things will work out:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...ess-by-brexit/

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So much for the "max-fac solution": My comparison to TollCollect was, if anything, way too optimistic.

That thing would amount to up to 20 billion GBP per year. In short: The red bus with its 350 million GBP per week was right. It only lacked the minus sign.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...or-uk-business
    Complete bullshit written on the bag of a fag paper with the weasel-word "could" in there.

You realize that this number comes directly from the government? Pray tell, do you know the basis upon which this number is calculated?

You realize that this number comes directly from the government? Pray tell, do you know the basis upon which this number is calculated?
    Ah every number from the government is the infallible gospel truth is it? http://theworldforgotten.com/showthread.php?t=6900

Yes I do and its garbage. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44238226

It was done "back of the envelope" as the BBC put it by estimating a cost per transaction, counting how many transactions there are then multiplying the two then inflating it by a further 60%

Its a ridiculous cake and eat it notion that people would be put off from doing transactions as it would cost £50 per transaction, but it will cost us as those transactions will still be happening.

You do realize that this is a realistic number for what this transaction would cost? I linked an interview with someone in the logistics business who actually has to do that (namely, if he wants to import into Switzerland) and he quoted a current cost of 65 GBP...

... but sure, dismiss the estimate out of hand. It's only done by someone who does this for a living. By the way, the iterviewee I linked? He said in no uncertain terms that he'd go out of business instantly when the border goes up. Maybe you should listen to the guy.

And, for fuck's sake, your own link from the BBC doesn't disagree with me in any way. In fact, it actually tells us why you are wrong to dismiss the number...

Fun times ahead:

A source said: “In the second scenario, not even the worst, the port of Dover will collapse on day one. The supermarkets in Cornwall and Scotland will run out of food within a couple of days, and hospitals will run out of medicines within two weeks.”
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...exit-02mld2jg2

Rand, please remember, this is your own government doing the contingency planning.

Fun times ahead:

Rand, please remember, this is your own government doing the contingency planning.
    Contingency planning? They aren't even working on Plan A. Work on gathering evidence for their proposals have only just begun. Dover is not equipped to deal with these scenarios, as the people running the port tried, in vain, to explain to Tories a while back.
    Last edited by Aimless; 06-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Fun times ahead:

A load of obvious bullshit produced and leaked by Chicken Licken civil servants with an agenda that is contradicted by their own department.

And you keep saying things like "this is your own government" as if that's supposed to impress me. I don't hold my government on a pedestal or view everything any civil servant ever produces as the gospel truth brought to us on stone tablets.

A load of obvious bullshit produced and leaked by Chicken Licken civil servants with an agenda that is contradicted by their own department.

And you keep saying things like "this is your own government" as if that's supposed to impress me. I don't hold my government on a pedestal or view everything any civil servant ever produces as the gospel truth brought to us on stone tablets.
    So, you won't have a 20 mile long backstop in Dover come Brexit day?

That would be a good point if it weren't for... unicorns.

So, you won't have a 20 mile long backstop in Dover come Brexit day?
    No probably not. Though even if we did (which has happened before) it wouldn't be the same as what the passage says.

No probably not. Though even if we did (which has happened before) it wouldn't be the same as what the passage says.
    Riiiiiight. Jeeze, you don't know anything.

Farage is a **** and I'm glad he has nothing to do with our governance or the Leave campaign that took us out. Him being made unemployed is a nice bonus for leaving.

Farage is a **** and I'm glad he has nothing to do with our governance or the Leave campaign that took us out. Him being made unemployed is a nice bonus for leaving.
    He has nothing to do with the Leave campaign? Which planet are you on because it sure as hell ain't Earth.

This one. Farage was excluded from Vote Leave (the official Leave campaign) as he is toxic. Were you not aware of that? Doesn't surprise me if you are ignorant enough to have missed that.

I think he means the Government backed Leave campaign i.e. Vote Leave.

Farage was Leave.EU, if I remember.

Not that I ever heard anyone from Vote Leave ever calling Farage and his bullshit out.

They called him out quite regularly, especially but not only after that vile, despicable breaking point poster he unleashed. They even threatened to go to court after ITV invited Farage onto a televised debate as they wanted him excluded from everything.

They called him out quite regularly, especially but not only after that vile, despicable breaking point poster he unleashed. They even threatened to go to court after ITV invited Farage onto a televised debate as they wanted him excluded from everything.
    Have you any examples? I'm not suggesting you're wrong but I just don't remember any. My perception (rightly or wrongly) is that our Leaver-MPs a.) should have done a darn heck of a lot more to distance themselves from Leave.EU and Farage's bullshit, and b.) were just riding along on his coat tails, quietly happy that he was winning a large proportion of the vote for them. Despite his bullshit.