Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384
Results 2,491 to 2,494 of 2494

Thread: Brexit Begins

You seem to have morphed from right to left internationalist the longer you're in academia interestingly too if you don't mind me saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

No, I'm still a liberal, which I take to be grossly inconsistent with nationalism, but clearly that's becoming a minority position.

FYI, the left-right axis has all but disappeared in academia as well. On the positive side, it means not having to hear about pie-in-the-sky economic policies. On the negative side, group think is probably at a record high.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Try learning to read. That's not what I said. You ignorant moron.
    No, what you said was a heap of steaming shit. They're not soothsayers. They're people who implement and process the rules by which your government works. These same people are now telling you: "These rules used in those processes will become invalid after a Hard Brexit. Which means that those processes will come to a complete stop in that case. As of yet, there are no sufficient replacement rules."

Meanwhile you go and completely misrepresent what those people are telling you, just because they're experts in their field - it seems that you routinely scoff at people who are professionals in their job. It's utterly absurd that you, who have as of yet shown not even the least bit of ability to educate yourself on how international trade works, present yourself as a beacon of ignorance. While being proud of said ignorance.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

It's the forecasts I'm scoffing at and for good reason. This is the forecast the Treasury "experts" made during the referendum campaign, forecasting a "shock" and an "immediate recession" following a vote. Not exit, not Article 50 but following the vote. They posited two scenarios for the two years after a Brexit vote, a shock and a severe shock. Reality was completely different.

Forecast, see page 43: https://assets.publishing.service.go...the_eu_web.pdf
    Quarter Shock Severe Shock Reality
    2016 Q3 -0.1% -1.0% 0.5%
    2016 Q4 -0.1% -0.4% 0.7%
    2017 Q1 -0.1% -0.4% 0.4%
    2017 Q2 -0.1% -0.4% 0.2%
    2017 Q3 0.2% 0.0% 0.4%
    2017 Q4 0.2% 0.0% 0.4%
    2018 Q1 0.2% 0.1% 0.2%
    2018 Q2 0.2% 0.1% 0.4%
    Total 0.4% -2.0% 3.2%

Reality: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gross...eries/ihyq/pn2

Reality is completely different to Project Fear. They also forecast a massive surge in unemployment, in reality unemployment has come in at its lowest amount in nearly half a century since before we joined the EU.

Oh and the total is actually further out as I've just summed up the quarters, when you take into account compound growth the difference is greater than the 5.2% forecast in the severe shock scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.