Page 204 of 206 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206 LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,120 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    how it started vs. how it's going

That's basically what could be expected. At no point in history the Brits have been any good at this type of registration. To expect anything better would be naive.

Also, if you have actual years to get in your application missing your deadline doesn't seem to be very excusable.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    That's basically what could be expected. At no point in history the Brits have been any good at this type of registration. To expect anything better would be naive.

Also, if you have actual years to get in your application missing your deadline doesn't seem to be very excusable.
    This is pretty much the same as the story about Brits in Spain who didn't fix their status in time right?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...ell/nhs-budget

2021/22 Budget £159 billion (excluding Covid funding)
    2015/16 Budget £137 billion (real terms 20/21 prices)

Difference £22 billion - a real terms increase of expenditure of £423 million per week.

Promise delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    This is pretty much the same as the story about Brits in Spain who didn't fix their status in time right?
    Congratulations America

Bloody Brexit

"Unicorn nest: UK hits milestone of 100 $1bn tech companies, more than rest of Europe combined"

https://www.cityam.com/unicorn-nest-...rope-combined/

The UK now joins the US and China as the only nations to have triple digit tech unicorns globally, and is the first country in Europe to reach 100 tech unicorns, with more tech unicorns than Germany (42), France (22) and the Netherlands (18) combined.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

RB, do you really think Brexit had anything to do with the proliferation of overvalued tech startups in the UK? Do you think that Brexit will substantially help (or, for that matter, hinder) the development of future unicorns?

There's little question that the UK economy has some strengths but that doesn't mean it's immune to downside shocks, or that such a silly metric would be revealing. Hell, Israel probably has more unicorns than Germany but I don't doubt they wouldn't want to trade economies.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

It was a joke, sort of.

I think it will help, I think Britain will be more nimble outside of Europe, but only marginally.

The point is that Brexit was never the be-all and end-all economically. Realistically Britain is going to be a modern, successful, developed economy whether in or out of Europe so the choice was far more political rather than economic; the problem was that the only argument to Remain was economic which was never valid, which is why Remain rightly and deservedly lost.

tfw you've forgotten which deal it is you've been negotiating:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Permanent negotiations are how the world operates when you have disagreements that haven't been mutually resolved. Get over it.

The Protocol is dying. You can keep crying over spilt milk because Barnier spent years pissing around trying to get Britain trapped in the EU's net by exploiting tensions in Ireland, only to see Britain dodge the bear trap, or you can get over yourselves and come up with a realistic solution that respects the peace process and all communities in Northern Ireland and beyond.

What's it to be?

They're not called sausages, they're called Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tubes
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    They're not called sausages, they're called Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tubes
    That's really quite racist, the English aren't that bad

The Europeans have gone too far. They are now threatening the British sausage. They want to standardize it, by which they mean they’ll force the British people to eat salami and bratwurst and other garlic-ridden greasy foods that are totally alien to the British way of life.

Do you want to eat salami for breakfast with your egg and bacon? I don’t. And I won’t!

Neither do I, chorizo is much better for that.

Brits still like their watery 'bangers' which have so little meat they explode right?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Such irony. On the anniversary of the vote O2 announces roaming fees are back.
    Congratulations America

If you use more than 25GB of data in a month roaming.

I have 10GB a month data in my contract and almost never go above it.

If customers aren't happy with that, they don't have to shop with O2.

EDIT: LOL! It seems O2's new policy is just a change of policy and is compatible with the EU regulations anyway so Brexit isn't relevant. The EU's regulations don't require unlimited data and allow a fair use policy, so O2 have now just applied a 25GB cap in their fair use policy.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-24-2021 at 12:51 AM.

Today is the deadline for #the3million EU citizens living in the UK to apply for Settled Status.

So far of the estimated 3 million EU citizens living in the UK, 5.6 million of them have applied for Settled Status.

That's a remarkably high percentage of the estimated people living here who've managed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Today is the deadline for #the3million EU citizens living in the UK to apply for Settled Status.

So far of the estimated 3 million EU citizens living in the UK, 5.6 million of them have applied for Settled Status.

That's a remarkably high percentage of the estimated people living here who've managed to do it.
    Yeah, like remarkably impossible. 186%

Maybe you put the numbers in the wrong place??
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post

That's the point. Three million is how many EU citizens supposedly lived in this country. There even formed a pressure group to represent them called #the3million https://www.the3million.org.uk/

So far over 5.6 million applications have been received and over 5 million processed (any that apply today are ok even if not processed yet).

So millions of extra people living here that we didn't know about officially have been discovered via this process. No wonder house prices have been astronomical.

The Census this year will be interesting when it comes out to see how it matches.

That's the point. Three million is how many EU citizens supposedly lived in this country. There even formed a pressure group to represent them called #the3million https://www.the3million.org.uk/

So far over 5.6 million applications have been received and over 5 million processed (any that apply today are ok even if not processed yet).

So millions of extra people living here that we didn't know about officially have been discovered via this process. No wonder house prices have been astronomical.

The Census this year will be interesting when it comes out to see how it matches.
    Well, those numbers are absolutely meaningless. I mean, you used to be a EU citizen not so long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post

The total number of applicants is much higher than the govt. expected it would be, for several reasons. Notwithstanding > 300k double applications (eg. due to changes wrt eligibility criteria between first and second application), the figure also includes non-EU residents (EEA & Switzerland) and their dependents, as well as a number of people who may have lived abroad previously who are nevertheless entitled to claim settled status. But the most important reason is probably that the UK isn't good at estimation.

You can read more here:

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/eu-settlement-...the-5-million/

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...eme-statistics

Exactly. To be out by over a million people is sheer incompetence and remarkable when migration figures to the UK were already incredibly high to know that this was a mammoth underestimate.

Most importantly when it comes to planning etc for houses etc, no wonder house prices etc have been out of control.

Final figures show that 6.02 of #the3million EU citizens living in the UK applied for Settled Status by the deadline, following 400k applying in June.

I guess that means that #the3million were half right.

Finally a positive result of brexit:

Brexitball:

lol they just can't not lie

Brexit begins, aka. Windrush II continues:

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/...t-brexit-rules

2021/22 Budget £159 billion (excluding Covid funding)
    2015/16 Budget £137 billion (real terms 20/21 prices)

Difference £22 billion - a real terms increase of expenditure of £423 million per week.

Promise delivered.
    Now compare spending from 2008 with that from 2014. I guess that was because of Brexit, too.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...ell/nhs-budget
    Hope is the denial of reality

Johnson & Frost must be so pissed at their predecessors Johnson & Frost

Guess Randblade ran out of arguments for Brexit...

https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/08/...in-eu-sefcovic

Under the protocol, Britain agreed to leave some EU rules in place in Northern Ireland and accept checks on goods arriving from elsewhere in the United Kingdom.

London has since said the arrangement was not working and wants it changed.
    Rejected, so now what you gonna do? Abide by the agreement?