Page 137 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

What partisan crocodile tears nonsense. If Hilary Benn was so upset at the idea of leaving the EU without a deal, perhaps he shouldn't have voted 3 times to reject the deal?

Let us not forget Hilary Benn also voted in favour of holding the EU referendum in the first place and then he voted in favour of invoking Article 50. So he voted to have the referendum, he voted to invoke Article 50 which means by law if we don't get a deal we leave without one automatically, then he voted repeatedly to reject the only deal the EU said they were offering while the clock was ticking to a no deal exit . . . then he's crying about the idea we might leave without a deal, following his rejecting the only deal on the table?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Which shows to me why you really need to leave, do or die.
    Congratulations America

Agreed.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

When your arch-nemesis keeps telling you to do something, it's not because they think it will be best for your health.

Just a little tip from me to you.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    When your arch-nemesis keeps telling you to do something, it's not because they think it will be best for your health.

Just a little tip from me to you.
    Maybe, just maybe, that's not entirely true. Though I don't feel that I should be the one to tell you what's best for you; as long as a certain section of your nation hasn't lived through the actual effects of Brexit I doubt they will stop the toxic debate that has soured your relationship with the EU for several decades. Sometimes catharsis results in better health.

I mean, look at a crazy bat like Kate Hoey.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What partisan crocodile tears nonsense. If Hilary Benn was so upset at the idea of leaving the EU without a deal, perhaps he shouldn't have voted 3 times to reject the deal?

Let us not forget Hilary Benn also voted in favour of holding the EU referendum in the first place and then he voted in favour of invoking Article 50. So he voted to have the referendum, he voted to invoke Article 50 which means by law if we don't get a deal we leave without one automatically, then he voted repeatedly to reject the only deal the EU said they were offering while the clock was ticking to a no deal exit . . . then he's crying about the idea we might leave without a deal, following his rejecting the only deal on the table?
    What an extraordinarily unhinged response.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    What an extraordinarily unhinged response.
    Judging politicians by how they literally voted is extraordinarily unhinged?

Didn't you only recently defend Boris' record of bullshit by hiding behind a "collective responsibility" to explain away such pesky things like how your politicians vote?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Didn't you only recently defend Boris' record of bullshit by hiding behind a "collective responsibility" to explain away such pesky things like how your politicians vote?
    Yes, though "collective responsibility" only goes so far, all government ministers [not all MPs] are constitutionally obliged to accept collective responsibility and must resign if they want to go against it, Boris for example resigned from the government to vote against it on Brexit and thus not be bound by it.

Benn is an opposition backbencher, he's not bound by collective responsibility. He is bound by the party whip, but that is different.

Yes, though "collective responsibility" only goes so far, all government ministers [not all MPs] are constitutionally obliged to accept collective responsibility and must resign if they want to go against it, Boris for example resigned from the government to vote against it on Brexit and thus not be bound by it.

Benn is an opposition backbencher, he's not bound by collective responsibility. He is bound by the party whip, but that is different.
    Now that's funny, mentioning collective responsibility for cabinet ministers as if that's still a thing in the UK.
    Congratulations America

Well it wasn't well enforced with May, a disastrous PM who is now thankfully history. Early days to speak about the new government.

It is an extraordinarily unhinged response to their report on what industry reps have told them about the implications of NDB for their respective industries. If a pharma industry representative explains that NDB will have negative consequences for that industry, and that assessment is put into a report, it's pretty derpy to fly into a rage over Benn being a remainer MP. Your problem is with the industry's honest assessment, which exposes you as a deluded partisan.
    Last edited by Aimless; 08-13-2019 at 04:14 PM.

No my problem is Benn is full of shit and puts a spin on everything. Let the pharmacy industry representatives speak for themselves, filtering through Benn is like filtering through Fox News and expecting a fair and balanced outcome.

Industry reps have already made statements to the same expect and the content of their statements to the committee can be found in the report. Your problem is with reality.

French head of Calais: Port chaos? "C'est la bullshit": https://www.metro.news/port-chaos-ce...rench/1673162/

There are certain individuals in the UK who are whipping up this catastrophism for their own reasons,’ Mr Puissesseau told the Daily Telegraph.

‘This has provoked a lot of concern but basically “c’est la bulls***”. Nothing is going to happen the day after Brexit. Britain will be a third country, that’s all, and there is no reason why this should lead to any problems.

‘If both sides do their homework, traffic will be completely fluid.’

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    If both sides do their homework, traffic will be completely fluid.
    Yeah. Fat chance of your government being able to organize an orgy in a whorehouse.

Also: https://www.chronicle.gi/hauliers-di...l-ports-chief/
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Yeah. Fat chance of your government being able to organize an orgy in a whorehouse.

Also: https://www.chronicle.gi/hauliers-di...l-ports-chief/
    It's not just about governments not being fully prepared; what is a much bigger concern is that businesses aren't prepared for the simple reason that they don't know what to prepare for yet.
    Congratulations America

Not Trumplike at all. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49348072

And seriously, Rand? A majority of Tories are willing to give up everything Tories fought and died for over a span of centuries.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Strange to see that the new EMA building in Amsterdam is nearly completed.

Two mega hotels within walking distance are taking a lot more time.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Not Trumplike at all. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49348072

And seriously, Rand? A majority of Tories are willing to give up everything Tories fought and died for over a span of centuries.
    I don't think its a majority but yes it'd be good if Remainers stopped collaborating with Europe and fought for Britain but I don't expect to see it anytime.

Well, collaborating with Europe is 'fighting for' Britain, but I suspect that's where our opinions differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Fighting for Britain is trying to get the best possible terms of our exit, not trying to undermine or frustrate those negotiations.

I don't think its a majority but yes it'd be good if Remainers stopped collaborating with Europe and fought for Britain but I don't expect to see it anytime.
    And there it is: full-blown Trumpist/UKIP rhetoric, as expected. Of course, remainers ARE fighting for Britain—a Britain in the EU. You, in contrast, are fighting for Little England.

French head of Calais: Port chaos? "C'est la bullshit": https://www.metro.news/port-chaos-ce...rench/1673162/

There are certain individuals in the UK who are whipping up this catastrophism for their own reasons,’ Mr Puissesseau told the Daily Telegraph.

‘This has provoked a lot of concern but basically “c’est la bulls***”. Nothing is going to happen the day after Brexit. Britain will be a third country, that’s all, and there is no reason why this should lead to any problems.

‘If both sides do their homework, traffic will be completely fluid.’
    Lmao.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...lais-port-boss

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Well, that was in March, he did say that the additional months have lead to more preparedness in Calais. But, and that's a rather huge but, it's contingent on the British side getting their shit together.

I'm also pretty sure that he doesn't give a flying fuck about problems in Dover.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Well, that was in March, he did say that the additional months have lead to more preparedness in Calais. But, and that's a rather huge but, it's contingent on the British side getting their shit together.

I'm also pretty sure that he doesn't give a flying fuck about problems in Dover.
    Nothing substantial has changed on the British side wrt those factors that determine the immediate and medium-term impact of NDB. His current assessment should not be markedly different from the assessment he made in March, and policymakers don't take him seriously for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Nothing substantial has changed on the British side wrt those factors that determine the immediate and medium-term impact of NDB. His current assessment should not be markedly different from the assessment he made in March, and policymakers don't take him seriously for good reason.
    It wasn't immediately clear to me based off of your conversation, but both you and Khend realize that the article wasn't published in March of 2019 it was published in March of 2018, right?

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that in my response, but yes—and that is the tragedy and hilarity of Brexit: there has been almost no substantial change wrt readiness for any flavor of Brexit on the British side not only since last year but more or less since the referendum, only partly because nobody has known (or been willing to acknowledge) what they need to be ready for. Puissesseau's bombastic remarks don't reflect reality.

As we speak the UK is still a member state of the EU.
    Congratulations America

Seems like the Johnson government is on the verge of losing its majority.
    Congratulations America