Page 97 of 206 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

So you're quite content to throw one half of the population of Northern Ireland under the bus and risk violence and the end of the Good Friday Agreement if it means you can get one over Britain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The DUP is not half of the people of NI.

And anyway, that is not relevant; you lot made a bunch of promises and the time for you to break your word without serious consequences has ended. The moment you lost control was when you voted to get out of the EU.

And you know something? I fucking told you so.
    Congratulations America

Unionists are more than half of the people of NI but either way the DUP are the main elected party of NI. Any deal regarding NI must be acceptable to the people NI have elected which means yes the DUP. That's democracy, I know its not a concept you're particularly fond of but it is what it is.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The DUP is not half of the people of NI.
    36% of the vote and 55% of the seats. Yet another example of the absurdity of FPTP.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Nothing absurd about it, they're the most popular party in NI. They are in the Assembly which is elected with the absurd PR system too.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    They are in the Assembly which is elected with the absurd PR system too.
    ...in which they got 28% of the first preference votes and 31% of the seats at the last election. I think it's clear where the absurdity is

Precisely its an attempt to have your cake and eat it too.

If there's No Deal then there are no guarantees. Insisting any deal is tied to a deal on the border is reasonable, and if the UK [or the EU] in the future enacts an exit clause on the deal then that would obviously terminate any trade deal reached and not just the border deal.
    I was unclear. The backstop serves as a guarantee in the event of a Brexit without an deal on the Irish border issues. The UK committed to maintaining "full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the all-island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement." The UK didn't negotiate a time-limited backstop--it committed to delivering a specific backstop cake as a part of the withdrawal agreement, just as it had previously committed to delivering an endless supply of no-hard-border cake previously. Nobody except the halfwits in the Tory establishment thought what was ordered was a fudge cake. The UK negotiated the right to put the matter to the Northern Irish, and the UK retains the ability to take at least two courses of action that largely eliminates the need for a border (revocation of A50 notification, or pledge to remain fully aligned indefinitely). Now, having realized that they played themselves by acting as if the EU is as clueless as the British govt, the UK is trying to go back on its word, while expecting the EU and others to still regard the UK as a reliable good faith negotiator.

So you're quite content to throw one half of the population of Northern Ireland under the bus and risk violence and the end of the Good Friday Agreement if it means you can get one over Britain?
    As I explained previously, although you might think this BS is clever, it's pretty clear to everyone the UK not only decided to throw the Northern Irish under the bus--but actually drove the bus itself.

More than half of NI's voters voted against Brexit, in the referendum. In the assembly, all parties except DUP campaigned against Brexit, reaffirming the anti-Brexit majority on NI. In the 2017 election, the majority of votes were cast for parties running on manifestos promising everything but a hard Brexit. 61% of polled NI voters want the UK to remain in the CU & SM after Brexit--and that includes 58% of DUP voters. England decided to throw the anti-Brexit majority on NI under the bus. I know you're used to being able to get away with lies and spin in the UK, but this isn't UK media.

Unionists are more than half of the people of NI
    Only 45% of NI voters voted for unionists in 2017, in an assembly election with the highest voter turnout since 1998. I recommend you

That's democracy, I know its not a concept you're particularly fond of but it is what it is.
    The DUP does not have a majority. The Unionists combined do not have a majority--they have 38 seats to SF's and SDLP's 39. I'm sorry but, if you must spin, at least do it well. You have no legitimate claim to a democratic mandate, in NI, for a decision that goes against the wishes of more than a majority of NI's voters.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    No I don't, and I'll take no lessons from you about bombs. I've lived through the Troubles, my town was bombed, I was present in a scare. It's not a fucking football for you to try and score points with.
    Then why are you fucking around with this? You started this mess, you bear the responsibility for it.

Which reminds me: Doesn't the Good Friday agreement allow North Ireland to have their own referendum on seceding from the UK and making Ireland whole again? Without the British dingdongs having any say in the matter?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Then why are you fucking around with this? You started this mess, you bear the responsibility for it.

Which reminds me: Doesn't the Good Friday agreement allow North Ireland to have their own referendum on seceding from the UK and making Ireland whole again? Without the British dingdongs having any say in the matter?
    Sure, but nobody really wants that question answered. Conveniently (for England and for the Unionists), NI currently does not have a functioning govt that could pursue the matter, as SF appears to be banking on being able to increase support for reuniting NI with Ireland after Brexit. That being said, the UK govt. can indeed call a referendum, in NI, on the question of letting NI become a special customs territory. The DUP doesn't want this, and the Tories are wholly dependent on the DUP so they can't pursue this course of action. And so they have decided to screw the Northern Irish over some more.

LOL. Now even Banks thinks the Brexit referendum was a bad idea.
    Congratulations America

Who gives a fuck what that egomaniac thinks? Though I doubt that unsourced claim is an accurate description but I can't be arsed to check.

LOL. Now even Banks thinks the Brexit referendum was a bad idea.
    He's just trolling. At best he's expressing his sincere displeasure at being caught breaking the law.

I really seriously wonder how happy Randy is with this whole Brexit mess he voted for. Can't say I'm surprised about the UK getting a rough deal, but I am a weebit surprised at the utter humiliation it's turning into.

You lot are going to continue with de facto FoM while your own citizens would lose those rights in a no-deal scenario?
    Congratulations America

Ran into this at work:

A no-deal Brexit: What will it mean for the Medical Devices Industry?

The Home Affairs Sub-Committee of The Select Committee on the European Union met in the House of Lords today to discuss how the UK’s access to medicines and medical devices could be affected in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
    The sub-committee concluded that a no-deal would undoubtedly result in time delays and more expense for companies trying to gain medical device approval because the UK would have to create its own regulations.
    The discussion also covered delays of imports at the border, which could reduce the shelf-life of some products required for use in medical devices. Substances under threat include Technetium-99m, which is used as a radioactive tracer to be detected by medical equipment and is the most commonly used medical isotope.

Due to radioactive decay, isotopes cannot be stockpiled and are sourced from ageing nuclear research reactors outside the UK. The UK government has previously stated that withdrawal from the European Atomic Energy Community (EURATOM) would not affect the UK’s ability to import medical radioisotopes but most of them have half-lives of a few days so major importation delays could make the products redundant.
    The panel of experts giving oral evidence to the Home Affair Sub-Committee consisted of Nuffield Trust public affairs analyst Mark Dayan, British Association of European Pharmaceutical Distributors secretary general Richard Freudenberg and Maitland Walker LLP senior partner Julian Maitland-Walker.
    When discussing why leaving the EU with no deal was likely to result in disruption for companies working to get approval for both drugs and medical devices, the panel was asked to explain how serious this new obstacle for approval could be for companies.
    Dayan said: “That’s more of an issue on medical devices. People from that industry have made it very clear that they do see that as an obstacle. We’d have to start our own parallel way of checking and approving the safety of devices for sale in the UK, whereas at the moment companies are used to getting the CE mark and selling wherever they want in the UK.
    “The government’s no-deal plans include essentially that products that have gained the CE mark now in the EU will continue to be accepted by the UK for a time and they’ve done that to reduce the risk of the immediate shock but in the longer term they will have to come up with a system which will raise an extra barrier.”
    It was also stated that a no-deal Brexit will mean the UK would not be able to sign off its own medical devices for use in the EU as it can do now.
    https://medicaldevicescommunity.com/...ices-industry/
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That’s the same problem as all over the economy; standards no longer will be recognized automatically if at all. Not even trying to stick to the same rules will guarantee access like today.
    Congratulations America

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...se-steve-baker

Two weeks until we can proclaim that it's dead, Jim?

I wonder if British remoaners even remotely understand how responsible they are for this whole Brexit mess alongside the Brexiturds. It's not just idiots like Randblade who actually voted for Brexit who brought this upon themselves; people like Steely who thought up till 2 years ago that sitting on the fence was the reasonable option are just as much to blame.

For their education; there aren't many people in the other parts of the EU that would want the UK back at all, and certainly a return without the euro, Schengen membership and an end to the rebate should be impossible.
    Congratulations America

Another example of what fuck wads Brexiters really are; this one is shocked with the other side in a negotiation actually defending its long term interests. Can someone explain the stupid witch that first of all something that sane people do and second that the Irish owe the Brits absofuckinglutely nothing?

And these zombies you elect.

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/...xit-stitch-up/
    Congratulations America

File under 'no shit Sherlock': Brits will not need visas to travel to the EU after Brexit, European Commission rules

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8631671.html

Kate Hoey, the outstandingly honourable and honest

Well written by Kate Hoey (what's quoted). She's Labour and I don't agree with her much but she's 100% on the money there. Yes absolutely the EU do have the right to act atrociously and stir up the risk of violence and jeopardise the Good Friday Agreement if they want to, but it doesn't mean they should or that we should go along with it. If we had a Prime Minister with an inch of backbone we'd walk away from this calamity, instead I expect we'll get now a Brexit worse than remaining. May is the worst Prime Minister of my lifetime, even lower in my esteem than Gordon Brown.

Apparently there may be a deal. Let's hope it's a good one.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

File under 'no shit Sherlock': Brits will not need visas to travel to the EU after Brexit, European Commission rules

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8631671.html
    Actually, conditional upon visa free travel for all EU citizens to the UK. And we know how incompetent you lot are when it comes to knowing who's in the country. So your government may very well fuck this one up too.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Apparently there may be a deal. Let's hope it's a good one.
    As long as there's no real compromising on EU principles I am ok with whatever deal is struck. Not so certain Randy will be happy though.
    Congratulations America

Yeah it's somewhat odd that all these 'good news' messages originate in London.
    Congratulations America

Yeah it's somewhat odd that all these 'good news' messages originate in London.
    My first reaction to this bit of news was: "Did someone tell the EU about it?"