Page 83 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    OK. Could you show me evidence to the contrary?
    The economy has grown faster than forecast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Well at least there was 1 comment there that was right.
    Please address the assessments of business leaders you git.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Please address the assessments of business leaders you git.
    Ok
    personally I think it’s all bollocks.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Ok
    RB, you're being stupid.

being ? you're being too kind.
    Congratulations America

Does he think business leaders are lying? Does he think business leaders are stupid and/or incompetent? What are his reasons for believing people who make their living buying and selling food from all over the world are so wrong about their assessments of a no deal Brexit's impact on their business that it can be dismissed as "bollocks"?

The person I quoted calling it bollocks is a business leader who makes his living doing that too. So why dismiss him but treat the others words as gospel?

Business leaders can be not just wrong, but also risk averse and PR savvy.

Get a deal or we may be irritated by some more costs for customs paperwork isn't good news. Get a deal or we may have no food is.

In other words it's as the business leader quoted says "bollocks".

The economy has grown faster than forecast.
    That's didn't answer my question.

This analysis seems to sums things up reasonably, unless you disagree?

https://www.ft.com/content/dfafc806-...4-408cfba4327c

The person I quoted calling it bollocks is a business leader who makes his living doing that too. So why dismiss him but treat the others words as gospel?

Business leaders can be not just wrong, but also risk averse and PR savvy.

Get a deal or we may be irritated by some more costs for customs paperwork isn't good news. Get a deal or we may have no food is.

In other words it's as the business leader quoted says "bollocks".
    For the love of Glod, WILL you PLEASE just READ articles and posts before commenting on them?

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    That's didn't answer my question.

This analysis seems to sums things up reasonably, unless you disagree?

https://www.ft.com/content/dfafc806-...4-408cfba4327c
    It's obviously £0.00

For the love of Glod, WILL you PLEASE just READ articles and posts before commenting on them?
    I read it. Please explain if you're insisting on making an appeal to authority fallacy why you are ignoring the authority calling the fear mongering "bollocks"

That it is inconvenient to you isn't an answer. Either you don't believe in appeals to authority so what he said is moot but so is what the others said. Or you do believe in it so what he said is relevant. Your pick.

Well at least there was 1 comment there that was right.
    Except if a deal happens then I will have been right. Deals are easy when necessary.
    No they are not. They will be difficult because they have to fit a certain framework that you lot won't accept. If there is no exit deal (which you implicitly say if you think you can walk away from the financial settlement) then you will have to deal with an opposite party that WILL actually want to punish you by making a deal excessively expensive or not dealing with you at all.
    Congratulations America

That doesn't change what I've said at all and even reinforces the bargaining chip of why a deal will happen no matter what. Even if at the end of the process there is no grand deal and we go to WTO terms then there will always realistically be a tieing up loose ends minimalistic deal. We will pay the exit bill and give access to our air space, you will grant access to yours etc

WTO is a framework. Open airspace is a framework.

It's in nobodies interest to see a closure of airspace (that would cut both ways if ours closed to you) etc only a stark raving lunatic actually thinks that will happen.

I read it. Please explain if you're insisting on making an appeal to authority fallacy why you are ignoring the authority calling the fear mongering "bollocks"

That it is inconvenient to you isn't an answer. Either you don't believe in appeals to authority so what he said is moot but so is what the others said. Or you do believe in it so what he said is relevant. Your pick.
    I cannot for the life of me figure out why you're being so spectacularly thick these days. It says in the article that a few business leaders have warned of increased food costs and decreased availability & choice in the event of a no deal Brexit. A No Deal Brexit is one of the possible outcomes of the negotiations. This outcome has a non-zero likelihood of occurring. One of your ministers put the likelihood at 60% at the moment, but even if it's lower the risk of such an outcome--or at least a scenario where trade in food etc. will not be covered by a deal--is sufficiently high that it must be given serious consideration. The comment you fixated on is based on the presumption that there will, in March next year, be a comprehensive deal, and it has little to do with the other comments.

The rest of your post is, frankly, bollocks. There are several problems with your attempt to dismiss the article by characterizing my use of it as a fallacious or problematic appeal to authority. If we accept that the business leaders in question are authorities of any sort, it is clear that you're dismissing at least two, while I am dismissing (from your perspective) only one. This is the first problem with your argument. The second problem is that this is not a fallacious appeal to authority. The business leaders cited in the article presumably have an understanding of their businesses and can report their assessments of the impact--on their respective businesses--of a particular set of changes to laws/regulations etc that directly affect their business; they are indeed authorities when it comes to their own businesses. Your fixation on Walker's statements, however, IS a fallacious appeal to authority, because Walker cannot speak authoritatively on the likely outcome of the negotiations, especially not on what the EU will or will not accept; he is not an authority on the Brexit negotiations or on the EU.

I understand how you may have been confused by the article. You don't read closely, and are easily confused by superficial similarities, and so you were clearly misled by the Times's foolish decision to sloppily present Walker's comment as a direct counterpoint to the comments from the other business leaders. But his comment is irrelevant to the impact of a no deal scenario on food prices and availability.

It is relevant because there won't be no deal.

There only will be a deal if you are willing to sign on the dotted line under our proposal
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Old

Project Fear regurgitating the same old shit. Who is it that hasn't already swallowed this codswallop whole, that is expected to be convinced by this lukewarm leftovers of an argument?

Project Fear regurgitating the same old shit. Who is it that hasn't already swallowed this codswallop whole, that is expected to be convinced by this lukewarm leftovers of an argument?
    This. This is why I've pushed against lewk and his bullshit racist spam on this board.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

To be fair to Aimless although him parroting this Project Fear spam bullshit ad nauseam is like Lewk parroting his racist spam bullshit at least Aimless is keeping his bullshit to one megathread.

It's a relevant article in one of your major newspapers about your government's assessments of the impact of a no deal brexit. This is information that is relevant to British businesses and it should have been released weeks if not months ago. Instead, your government has been lying in response to questions from the industry. This is nearly as shameful as when your govt kept lying to the public and even to Parliament about the impact reports.

You grow more Trumpist for every day that passes, RB. It's sad and a little disturbing to see the extent to which you've begun to reinterpret reality and even the English language in order to sustain your delusions. Your fulsome embrace of lying as a legitimate method of governance shames you.

Project Fear isn’t going to save your sorry ass come Brexit Day Randy. I find it very funny though that your standard reaction to government information about Brexit is that they are a bunch of liars. You remember voting for them?
    Congratulations America

More leaks from reliable sources:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Project Fear isn’t going to save your sorry ass come Brexit Day Randy. I find it very funny though that your standard reaction to government information about Brexit is that they are a bunch of liars. You remember voting for them?
    You must understand that he's not calling the liars liars; he's dumping on the entire civil service. Not very different from Lewk & assorted MAGA nutjobs raving about Deep State conspiracies. In reality, civil servants are doing their jobs to the best of their ability by trying to inform the government (and, when permitted, the people) about the consequences of regulatory/legal/practical changes. It is shameful for liars, incompetents and their ignorant defenders to impugn the integrity of responsible & prudent civil servants in this manner.

It's also pretty fucking stupid.

The civil service aren't liars they are change-averse ("prudent") and incompetent soothsayers though. That's not new me saying that now I said it in the Referendum and I was right then and the civil service was massively wrong then. Not marginally wrong but completely wrong. And they've never acknowledged nor explained why they were so very wrong. Instead they're doubling down on the same mistakes they made then.

You're wrong in calling me a liar. Name one lie I've said. I may make different predictions to you or the civil service but that doesn't make me a liar.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Dude, those are the people who have to keep your government running. I dare say that they know a lot more about how a government actually works than you do (you demonstrated repeatedly that you know fuck-all).

They're not doomsayers, they're telling you: "These things will be a problem in case of No Deal." Also, we have explained repeatedly where your problems will come from. They did as well. How in the hell are you now LYING once again about "how nobody explained anything"? We all did. Several times.

You stupid motherfucker.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Try learning to read. That's not what I said. You ignorant moron.

It's interesting how left-right disagreements here seamlessly morphed into nationalist-internationalist ones (with a few exceptions), just like they did in the outside world.
    Hope is the denial of reality