Page 172 of 206 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

You absolutely don't have us by the balls, that's what you haven't grasped. This week should have shown that yet again but once again you're underestimating us.

You guys just aren't that important to us anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Now a quick report on the Special Relationship:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    When you start boasting about breaking international law by going back on your word, you can be sure you've taken a wrong turn somewhere. Not surprised to see your ongoing self-debasement playing out like this, but it is genuinely a little sad.
    We made a wrong turn in 2017. Going back is fixing that mistake.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    We made a wrong turn in 2017. Going back is fixing that mistake.
    You're literally reneging on the argument your current PM and current ruling party sold you as a great deal, oven-ready and in no need of any particular parliamentary scrutiny. In other words, you're going back on your own—much more recent—word. It's kinda pathetic, the lengths to which you're willing to go to defend lying.

You're literally reneging on the argument your current PM and current ruling party sold you as a great deal, oven-ready and in no need of any particular parliamentary scrutiny. In other words, you're going back on your own—much more recent—word. It's kinda pathetic, the lengths to which you're willing to go to defend lying.
    The truth is that RandBlade enjoys destroying everything his country stood for. What he doesn't understand is that it just makes it weaker and smaller.
    Congratulations America

Nothing Trump-like about that, very reasoned and considered and reasonable - and I can't remember the last time that Trump was self aware enough to say "perhaps I am wrong" or anything along those lines, he does the polar opposite than that! If you care to share a video of Trump saying that I'd love to see it.
    Here's the thing. He stated it as fact, and you adopted the EU is acting in bad faith without question. You have stated it repeatedly as fact in these threads. When pressed for support, all you could say is: Boris said so. So yeah, Boris stated me might be wrong, after stating it as fact, so people like you would not blame this fuck up on Boris.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Here's the thing. He stated it as fact, and you adopted the EU is acting in bad faith without question. You have stated it repeatedly as fact in these threads. When pressed for support, all you could say is: Boris said so. So yeah, Boris stated me might be wrong, after stating it as fact, so people like you would not blame this fuck up on Boris.
    They desperately need us to be 'in bad faith' because it's the only thing that they have once this mess comes to court. So they will never admit that it's not the case. Too bad for them it's documented that they were never serious about honoring the WA, so their claims about us sound rather hollow.

What they also haven't grasped is that they took the country out of the EU and that the EC no longer has a vested interest in the well being of the British government. And if needed punishment will be meted out. Randy doesn't get that part, but all it takes for us to hit back is not do anything to mitigate the effects of a hard Brexit.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    They desperately need us to be 'in bad faith' because it's the only thing that they have once this mess comes to court. So they will never admit that it's not the case. Too bad for them it's documented that they were never serious about honoring the WA, so their claims about us sound rather hollow.

What they also haven't grasped is that they took the country out of the EU and that the EC no longer has a vested interest in the well being of the British government. And if needed punishment will be meted out. Randy doesn't get that part, but all it takes for us to hit back is not do anything to mitigate the effects of a hard Brexit.
    I think the question that preceded the question about good faith is even more illuminating:

What is more important is that he is lying or a complete idiot. The question is not entirely on the point either. The UKIM will not solve the presumed extremism. Either De Pfeffel knows and is misleading Parliament, or he doesn’t know because he’s an incompetent joker.

But Randy would eat his shit and swear it’s a delicacy, so either way that’s cool.
    Congratulations America

What is more important is that he is lying or a complete idiot. The question is not entirely on the point either. The UKIM will not solve the presumed extremism.
    Agreed, and I suspect Benn knows this, but is focusing on the PM's conduct and the soundness of his reasoning—under the most charitable interpretation—for rhetorical purposes.

Agreed, and I suspect Benn knows this, but is focusing on the PM's conduct and the soundness of his reasoning—under the most charitable interpretation—for rhetorical purposes.
    I wonder why they put Brexit on the agenda for next week’s Council.
    Congratulations America

How else are you going to change Barnier's mandate?

How else are you going to change Barnier's mandate?
    Or instruct the Commission on how to proceed with legal actions against the UK.
    Congratulations America

The Tories have a rather strange definition of nationalism.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54228079
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The Tories have a rather strange definition of nationalism.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54228079
    Lawyers for the Chernukhins declined to say whether Mr Chernukhin had received the $8m.

But they said "Mrs Chernukhin has never received money deriving from Mr Kerimov or any company related to him" and her "donations to the Conservative Party have never been tainted by Kremlin or any other influence".

They added all her donations have been declared in accordance with Electoral Commission rules.

Lawyers for Suleyman Kerimov said he denies all the allegations made by Panorama, and had "no dealings with Ms Chernukhin whatsoever".

A Conservative Party spokesperson said: "There are people in this country of Russian origin who are British citizens and have the democratic right to donate to a political party. Many have been vocal critics of Putin and it is completely wrong and discriminatory to smear them all with the same brush."

Are you saying that British citizens of Russian origin should be unpersons? That's rather racist isn't it?

The money was clearly illegally obtained if nothing else. Not surprised you have no problem with having your party funded by corrupt foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The money was clearly illegally obtained if nothing else. Not surprised you have no problem with having your party funded by corrupt foreigners.
    No it was not clearly illegally obtained, though everything from Russia is kind of murky they are very wealthy and left Russia in 2004 after falling out with Putin. Many who left Russia around that time have made their homes here, I've never been against that. Even if they're putting money into rivals to the team I support, like Chelsea FC for instance.

The EU has made clear that UK dominance in euro clearing has to have ended by July 2022.
    Congratulations America

No it was not clearly illegally obtained, though everything from Russia is kind of murky they are very wealthy and left Russia in 2004 after falling out with Putin. Many who left Russia around that time have made their homes here, I've never been against that. Even if they're putting money into rivals to the team I support, like Chelsea FC for instance.
    What does that have to do with the money being illegitimately obtained? Abramovich does not oppose Putin by the way. If anything, his support for Putin is what got him his wealth.

Speaking of Abramovich, it's almost as if once a crook, always a crook.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54229269

Dodgy Chelsea, though it seems not crooked. The practice was only banned in 2015 so was a dodgy but legal practice in 2014.

Glad Liverpool never engaged in such dodgy practices.

It's troubling when these kind of people are allowed to have a large influence on sports. It's doubly troubling when they're allowed to exert that influence in politics.

Abromovich bought a club.

I don't know of any Russians buying a political party.

The EU has made clear that UK dominance in euro clearing has to have ended by July 2022.
    Indeed. The global bank I work for has already closed all UK euro clearing accounts within its UK bank and re-opened them in France, thereby shifting every single one of its euro clearing clients and the bank's entire euro clearing operation from London to Paris.

A little under a trillion euros were cleared in total by global banks through London every single day before Brexit. Not any longer.

All that money movement now shut down in London. All the staff and expertise required to service those clients, accounts and the operation itself either moved out of the UK or shut down entirely, with new staff hired in France and elsewhere in Europe.

London's status as the world's financial services centre was not the only reason I voted against Brexit, but it certainly was the main one.

Sorting through the difficulties of the WA and wrangling over the Irish border are trivial points compared to the vast wealth no longer flowing through and accumulating within London, and the decline is set to continue. Euro clearings is but one significant step. The exchequer can no longer enjoy being propped up by the banks, and the entire country suffers significantly for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The NI assembly has rejected the UK internal market bill. So basically the English are going to force Northern Ireland to be complicit breaking the law against their will.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Indeed. The global bank I work for has already closed all UK euro clearing accounts within its UK bank and re-opened them in France, thereby shifting every single one of its euro clearing clients and the bank's entire euro clearing operation from London to Paris.

A little under a trillion euros were cleared in total by global banks through London every single day before Brexit. Not any longer.

All that money movement now shut down in London. All the staff and expertise required to service those clients, accounts and the operation itself either moved out of the UK or shut down entirely, with new staff hired in France and elsewhere in Europe.

London's status as the world's financial services centre was not the only reason I voted against Brexit, but it certainly was the main one.

Sorting through the difficulties of the WA and wrangling over the Irish border are trivial points compared to the vast wealth no longer flowing through and accumulating within London, and the decline is set to continue. Euro clearings is but one significant step. The exchequer can no longer enjoy being propped up by the banks, and the entire country suffers significantly for it.
    How long do you think it will take untill the share of London will have shrunk to a market share that is acceptable? Will there be anything left given that the British government is run by people who think it's smart to play hardball with a counterparty not only 6 times bigger but quite willing to bite back if provoked sufficiently?
    Congratulations America

The NI assembly has rejected the UK internal market bill. So basically the English are going to force Northern Ireland to be complicit breaking the law against their will.
    Misunderstanding the constitution there. The NI assembly doesn't get a say in the legislation and it was Nationalist community that voted against with the Alliance Party.

NI MPs along with all other MPs get a chance to vote for or against the Internal Market Bill. And there NI MPs voted overwhelmingly in favour of the Bill. If the English, Welsh and Scots all abstained and only NI MPs voted then it would still be going through not rejected.

How long do you think it will take untill the share of London will have shrunk to a market share that is acceptable? Will there be anything left given that the British government is run by people who think it's smart to play hardball with a counterparty not only 6 times bigger but quite willing to bite back if provoked sufficiently?
    If the EU wants to bite, it might help to start by having some teeth. Your bark is worse than your bite though and we're not worried.

Incidentally you're not six times bigger. The EU is 5x bigger by GDP, which isn't really that significant, or 7x bigger by population. Did you just think to split the difference and say 6?

100 days to go to the end of transition. Tick tock, tick tock.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-covid-report

So much for: We'll deal with Brexit easily in the aftermath of Covid!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?