Page 202 of 206 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,060 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quite frankly I couldn't give a hairy crack of a rats arse about any whinging from farmers.

Protectionist bullshit doesn't work, that's what I voted to end. We had to have protectionist tariffs in Europe, we can end them now we're not in the EU anymore. Win.

And farmers voted for Brexit too by and large to que sera sera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Oh well, enjoy your auto dafe.
    Congratulations America

I have no idea what that means sorry.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    So it's bananas all over again.

Before joining the EU our bananas could be as curved as we like. Then the tyrannical EU forced their rules on us about the curviness of our bananas!
    Yes, that's the second lie—the UK severed the relationship, by choosing to join what would become the EU, knowing full well what that would entail for their trade relationship with Australia. But the first lie is even more stupid—trade between UK and Australia wasn't tariff- & quota-free prior to the UK joining the EEC afaict.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quite amusing, following Britain's considerably better handling of Covid19 and the vaccine rollout than seen on the Continent, Boris now has a much higher approval rating in France than Macron does: https://www.lepoint.fr/debats/boris-...-2427491_2.php
    51% of the French have a favourable opinion of Boris.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    3. your fantasy of joining the CPTPP will probably just stay that; for starters because there is no appetite in the region to let in your service industry and secondly because they have little to nothing to gain from letting you into the trade in goods.
    CPTPP member states have formally begun the accession process for the UK.

And another one.

A trade deal reached with Norway, Iceland and Liechenstein that goes further than their agreement with the EU: https://news.sky.com/story/post-brex...firms-12324727

Liz Truss really is fantastic. Brexit is really working out great.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57347874

In terms of their overall trade volumes, this deal is more significant for Norway and Iceland than it is for the UK.

But politically, it's really important for the post-Brexit British government to show that new trade deals are being done quickly. Even if - as the Norwegian side points out - it is less open than the previous relationship inside the same single market.

The new deal builds on the rollover agreement the UK signed before it left the EU's economic zone, and the government is keen to stress it includes important elements on digital trade which go beyond what the EU has.

But digital and data provisions are relatively new elements in free trade agreements, and it's still unclear how effective they are in the long term.

"At first sight, the deal looks cautiously ambitious," says trade expert David Henig from the European Centre for International Political Economy.

"In many fields, from climate change to SMEs [small businesses] to digital, it sets out some goals, without it being obvious that the underlying provisions will deliver them."

So, it's a decent start. But it's the implementation that counts.

2px presentational grey line
    "Prior to the UK's exit from the EU, Norway enjoyed free movement of goods, services, capital and persons to the UK through the EEA agreement," Norway said.

"A free trade agreement will not provide similar access to the British market."
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Don't ruin it

In other global Britain news, a good friend of mine has been recruited to work for the NHS in a fantastic position, after a multi-year process, and the HO is still fucking with him to the point where he doesn't know whether he'll be able to move as planned less than two months before he's supposed to start. This is a result of policy—not just regular bureaucratic incompetence. He's a highly educated and extremely skilled—and extremely white —professional recruited to a key position at one of the most important and most desperate employers in the country. The hostile environment principles suffuse every aspect of immigration to England.
    Last edited by Aimless; 06-04-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Maybe you guys didn't pick up on it yet but Rand is being sarcastic now.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

David Henig is the go-to anti-Brexit contrarian whenever discussions come up. So him saying that is both meaningless and completely expected.

As far as "replicating all the EEA did" like "the free movement of goods, service, capital and persons" there was no intention of replicating that.

But as for services, this deal goes further than the EU/EEA deal did on issues that matter to the UK economy. The elements that go further than the EU did, as quoted in that article, are elements that suit the UK very well thank you very much.

Kind of the whole point of Brexit. Drop the political crap we didn't need, get newer and better trade deals 2.0

BREAKING: UK close to inventing EU

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Don't ruin it
    Norway is the go-to anti-Brexit contrarian whenever discussions come up. So them saying that is both meaningless and completely expected.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Turns out you can take the good bits that you want from the EU and dump the rest. Europe a la carte one might say.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Keep telling yourself that, you Orwellian bootlickers.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Norway is the go-to anti-Brexit contrarian whenever discussions come up. So them saying that is both meaningless and completely expected.
    Stop, stop, it hurts, the fremdschämen hurts

Looks like De Pfeffel thinks he can make a success of the G7 meeting by kicking off a trade war with the EU.
    Congratulations America

How's that possible, you assured me for years that the EU was going to write Brexit and we would bend over and take it?

Are you prepared to admit you were wrong yet?

Looks like De Pfeffel thinks he can make a success of the G7 meeting by kicking off a trade war with the EU.
    They'll never forgive you for forcing them to Brexit on your terms

These people do not quite realize that other leaders all over the world are watching very closely. Because if the UK is unable to make good on a deal with its most important neighbour - what good will be a promise from the UK for lesser powers?

Nice try but the rest of the world doesn't care about that. People understand the concept that divorces can get messy. That's why our negotiations with more interesting partners are going well.

As for Allister Heath's articles they are entirely consistent and accurate. Nouns matter, the deal was the best one for Great Britain as Heath said. He also said (Continued on Page 4) that there should have been a better deal for Northern Ireland and there will be because the Protocol is never going to be implemented as the EU wants it to be.

Besides its not just on the UK. The EU isn't wanting to negotiate in good faith yet, hence the lack of a Trusted Trader scheme yet. So the UK has every right to unilaterally extend and invoke Article 16 if we want to do so until you can compromise on our terms. And since we're the ones implementing the Protocol, we're in charge. Oops, didn't think that one through did you?

Meanwhile with our actual most important partner the PM and POTUS have released a joint Atlantic Charter.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-10-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Nice try but the rest of the world doesn't care about that.
    Tell that to Biden.

Everyone know that your PM is all about the glamour and does not have the inclination to actually get something complete. He begins a lot of things which are flashy and lets them fall to the wayside as soon as they're not flavour of the month anymore or become exhausting.

Turns out that Biden's more interested in his own priorities than he is your Protocol. He just doesn't want the Good Friday Agreement imperilled, but the EU compromising and agreeing to Trusted Trader schemes etc won't imperil the GFA.

Its over Khen. Brexit's done, we won, it worked out well, its going well, your backstop trap failed and all your protestations of doom have turned to dust in your mouth.

No wonder you're so bitter and tempted to flounce away. You won't be the first one here to do so after losing the argument so comprehensively.

Rocketman chimes in:

I'm really wondering how British people deal with the feelings of shame their government must provoke.
    Congratulations America

I'm really wondering how British people deal with the feelings of shame their government must provoke.
    Pretty much like the characters on any show about dysfunctional people being eaten up from within by their own shame denial, deliberate self-debasement, self-harm, etc.

Times front page on the basically unprecedented demarche delivered to the UK:

Even if it turns out something similar has been communicated to the EU, I reckon this is a deliberate and strategic leak intended to clearly signal displeasure.

Seems like so far every G7 member has addressed the Protocol. Which wasn't supposedly on the agenda.
    Congratulations America

It's kinda fun to see De Pfeffel huffing and puffing. Global Britain deflating live on TV.
    Congratulations America