Page 201 of 206 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,030 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Some people never got over joining in the first place. It's rather heartless, I think, to demand or expect everyone to embrace leaving.

Consider this; if remain had won do you think those wanting to leave would give up their cause? Not a chance.

Indeed but you'd probably laugh at the people driven mad by Remaining. Cameron laughed at the fruitcakes, nuts and loons - heck we continued to laugh at the ever more deranged carcass of UKIP after Brexit even.

So turnabout is fair play. Comedic Dave and others have been really driven mad by Brexit. To respond to the EU continuing its monthly Strasbourg circus, one of the most dysfunctional elements of the entire EU, by having a go at the UK who aren't even in the conversation? Completely delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What makes you think I'd laugh at those wanting to leave? Genuinely interested why you think that.

Not all of those wanting to leave, just the crazy funny ones. You never laughed at Farage or the other cranks, nuts and loons when their stupidity became funny?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not all of those wanting to leave, just the crazy funny ones. You never laughed at Farage or the other cranks, nuts and loons when their stupidity became funny?
    Hmm, I don't think so, no. Thing is I don't think they're stupid. I think they're smart and exceptionally good at delivering a persuasive argument to a certain type of person. A person, perhaps, who either lacks critical thinking skills or who simply wants to hear a certain thing. I find the psychology of it all quite interesting.

Brexit continues:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

In case you haven't noticed we're in the middle of a pandemic and the border is closed due to lockdown. It is illegal to enter the country for tourism or other reasons, unless you have a good reason. Heck, bars, restaurants and much more are still shut indoors by law.

Also in case you haven't noticed virus rates in Spain and elsewhere are much, much higher than it is in the UK.

"Coming to see if you can find a job" during a pandemic when the border is closed is not allowed. Coming for work reasons is permitted, but looking for work is not a work reason. Last thing we need is hundreds of thousands of people coming from high virus prevalency areas on a fishing expedition to come to see if they can find a job. When the border restrictions are lifted post-pandemic and its legal to come for vacations and other reasons then that would be reasonable.

Surprising to see you object to Covid rules being applied. Oh wait, its about Britain, no its not.

Story now getting more attention (thread):

In case you haven't noticed we're in the middle of a pandemic and the border is closed due to lockdown. It is illegal to enter the country for tourism or other reasons, unless you have a good reason. Heck, bars, restaurants and much more are still shut indoors by law.

Also in case you haven't noticed virus rates in Spain and elsewhere are much, much higher than it is in the UK.

"Coming to see if you can find a job" during a pandemic when the border is closed is not allowed. Coming for work reasons is permitted, but looking for work is not a work reason. Last thing we need is hundreds of thousands of people coming from high virus prevalency areas on a fishing expedition to come to see if they can find a job. When the border restrictions are lifted post-pandemic and its legal to come for vacations and other reasons then that would be reasonable.

Surprising to see you object to Covid rules being applied. Oh wait, its about Britain, no its not.
    As usual you're full of crap. Your government has corrected your border police. Apparently they were misinterpreting the rules.

I bet someone reminded the British government of the thousands of Brits who are staying within the EU with no legal status whatsoever.
    Congratulations America

Who cares about staying? Either way around, during a pandemic staying where you are is what you're supposed to do, not a problem.

Anyone coming from a high infection area to a low one without a good reason during a lockdown is a selfish git.

Your own government hasn't even tried to defend the detentions. So why do you?
    Congratulations America

Has anyone from the government apologised for turning around people who've come from high Covid areas without a reason during a pandemic lockdown?

Anyone criminally spreading Covid from a high Covid area to a low Covid area without any justifiable reason is a prick that could kill people or further lockdown. They deserve zero sympathy.

Post-Covid, do as they like. But during Covid? Selfish pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Your own government hasn't even tried to defend the detentions. So why do you?
    Reflex.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    As usual you're full of crap. Your government has corrected your border police. Apparently they were misinterpreting the rules.
    Reporting on this issue quite muddled atm... in some cases, police had probably misunderstood the rules as they applied to specific individuals, whereas, in other cases, visitors may have been inadvertently misled re. the rules by the airline they travelled with, combined with unclear info from the govt. Either way, the detention procedure was stupidly disproportionate and dangerous, and it's good that the HO was decisively pushed back on that matter.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    The shitheads who denied detainees their medicine should be fired. Out of a cannon.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Article and accompanying thread:

Typical hysterical nonsense from Foster.

Absolutely unquestionably of course Australia and NZ should get a zero tariff deal.

Those who wish to deliberately buy "British" meat can and will continue to do so. Those who don't care where their meat comes from will find cheaper Oz and NZ imports competing against EU imports, that's a good thing.

Typical hysterical nonsense from Foster.

Absolutely unquestionably of course Australia and NZ should get a zero tariff deal.

Those who wish to deliberately buy "British" meat can and will continue to do so. Those who don't care where their meat comes from will find cheaper Oz and NZ imports competing against EU imports, that's a good thing.
    Is there any sector of the British economy you're not willing to slaughter on the altar of Brexit ?
    Congratulations America

No.

Protectionism doesn't work. What possible reason is there to have zero tariffs on meat from 27 countries, but insist upon tariffs on meat from 2 more? Is it because you think the EU meat is uncompetitive shit while meat from downunder is much cheaper and better so will crowd out European crap?

Quite a few companies - from supermarkets, to McDonalds, to restaurants - choose to advertise themselves as using "100% British" meat, or "100% British and Irish" meat. If they want to continue to advertise with that, then zero tariffs won't make a scrap of difference. If they don't, then good quality cheap meat is a good thing.

Assuming you don't lower food standards, of course. And arguably the recent pandemic shows that international trade can be disrupted so you'll want to have enough agricultural production at home to be safe. But I don't think this would have that much impact. It will, of course, piss off a lot of farmers. How big is your agricultural sector?

Btw I do also support buying local from an environmental point, so I'm for example okay with paying a little more for something local, so those advertisements you mention as examples are quite helpful.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Assuming you don't lower food standards, of course. And arguably the recent pandemic shows that international trade can be disrupted so you'll want to have enough agricultural production at home to be safe. But I don't think this would have that much impact. It will, of course, piss off a lot of farmers. How big is your agricultural sector?

Btw I do also support buying local from an environmental point, so I'm for example okay with paying a little more for something local, so those advertisements you mention as examples are quite helpful.
    There are good arguments for—and legitimate concerns with—either approach, and some are discussed in the article as well as in the thread. I just thought it was interesting that ministers themselves were divided.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post

Our agricultural sector is pretty tiny, as will be the impact of allowing more competition.

"Food miles" are largely a myth anyway. The environmental impact of an efficient shipping container carrying a large volume of stock around the planet can end up as much less than the impact of a typical car being driven to the supermarket.

Just passed: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...ution/117/text

(8) expresses support for the Northern Ireland Protocol and its full implementation, which ensures through international agreement that no “hard border” will be reintroduced on the island of Ireland

Irrelevant and meaningless fluff.

lol

Both claims factually wrong (as has been pointed out by multiple experts), but, more importantly, stupid and self-debasing. Par for the course for these grifters who subsist on the wounded pride of the historically illiterate

The UK joining the EEC and imposing protectionist tariffs on Aussie goods was seen as a major betrayal by Britain down under. Its good that as well as getting a great free trade agreement, as well as potentially getting great quality and cheap meat onto our supermarket shelves, that we can right this historic wrong post-Brexit.

Its funny to see the squealing by EU supporters terrified that protectionist barriers trying to keep out the rest of the world because Europe's not that competitive in some industries, those hypocritical grifters who were convinced that this wouldn't happen if we voted for Brexit despite it being campaigned on have the absolute temerity to suggest trade with Europe is great while trade with the rest of the world is horrendous.

Good riddance to protectionist bullshit. Don't let the hypocritical pro-Europe grifters stand in the way.

Any civil servants working for the border force making such silly mistakes need training to ensure they do better.

However Hannan's quote was entirely correct, the status hasn't changed as settled status was granted, just overzealous officials made a stupid mistake. As happens all over the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    lol

Both claims factually wrong (as has been pointed out by multiple experts), but, more importantly, stupid and self-debasing. Par for the course for these grifters who subsist on the wounded pride of the historically illiterate
    So it's bananas all over again.

Before joining the EU our bananas could be as curved as we like. Then the tyrannical EU forced their rules on us about the curviness of our bananas!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

The UK joining the EEC and imposing protectionist tariffs on Aussie goods was seen as a major betrayal by Britain down under. Its good that as well as getting a great free trade agreement, as well as potentially getting great quality and cheap meat onto our supermarket shelves, that we can right this historic wrong post-Brexit.

Its funny to see the squealing by EU supporters terrified that protectionist barriers trying to keep out the rest of the world because Europe's not that competitive in some industries, those hypocritical grifters who were convinced that this wouldn't happen if we voted for Brexit despite it being campaigned on have the absolute temerity to suggest trade with Europe is great while trade with the rest of the world is horrendous.

Good riddance to protectionist bullshit. Don't let the hypocritical pro-Europe grifters stand in the way.
    Eh, you should really be able to see that the EU does not give a fig for you screwing over meat producing farmers in Scotland and Wales.
    Congratulations America