Page 152 of 206 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,560 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with leaving the EU. It shouldn't take long to agree a trade deal that keeps your massive trade surplus with us. Who stands to benefit from objecting to a clean and simple zero tariff, zero quotas trade deal?
    Pretty much everybody. You still haven t given up the dream of German automakers coming to the rescue.
    Congratulations America

Phase one was much harder than Phase 2 because of multiple factors.

In phase 1 the U.K. was hamstrung with an incompetent PM.
    In phase 1 the U.K. Was hamstrung by an obstructionist Parliament.
    In phase 1 the U.K. and EU were arguing over relatively zero sum things. More money for the EU is less for the UK etc. Plus Ireland.

Where the U.K. and EU had common interests in phase 1 (e.g. Citizens rights) that was rather simple and uncontentipus to agreee.

Phase 2 is much simpler and more advantageous. The UK and EU both want smooth and free trade. We both want the same thing. Our PM is respected and has just won a landslide so has Parliaments support. You can act as childish as you like it won't matter. The grown ups will agree a free trade deal, we will ratify it as will you and we will move on smoothly. Have more faith in your own sides grown ups as I have in mine. I imagine Barnier is quite relieved at last weeks election. Already Von Der Leyen has confirmed she will meet with Boris in January and start preparing for the trade deal to come.

Its over. We won. Brexit is happening, accept it.
    We don t both want the same.. Phase 2 is neither easier nor advantageous. At best it s an attempt to limit damage from Brexit. It doesn t matter if we respect De Pfeffel or not, what matters is if we trust him and his government. And the answer to that question is no. So during the negotiations every comma will be looked over. And if you ve got nothing to offer to the likes of Bulgaria or Rumania (who won t care much about your offer of no tariffs and no quota) there s a good chance they won t bother to hurry with ratification if they even agree to the deal itself.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Pretty much everybody. You still haven t given up the dream of German automakers coming to the rescue.
    Of course not as its still true that German automakers want to export to the UK. Especially with Germany teetering on the brink of recession.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Of course not as its still true that German automakers want to export to the UK.
    And? Where else do you think your cars will come from? After all, you gutted your own industry. And tariffs only hurt your own people.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    And? Where else do you think your cars will come from? After all, you gutted your own industry. And tariffs only hurt your own people.
    We have no industry. That must be news to all the workers at the Vauxhall plant by my grandparents house.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Maybe take up a dictionary once in while, Rand. Or do I have to school you in your own language once again?

"We have no industry." This I did not say. Nowhere near. No wonder you're such a pathetic failure in understanding the trouble you're in as a country.

We're not in trouble. Despite all your Chicken Licken paranoia.

You claimed we'd gutted our industry.

There are countries where applying logical thinking to what happens as a result of government policies and expressing it can get you in serious trouble. I think you would have no problem living in such a country Randy, you have self-conditioned perfectly.
    Congratulations America

Not at all. I opposed my government for most of the duration of this thread. I opposed the government's withdrawal agreement at all 3 Meaningful Votes (and disagreed with Boris when he voted for it on MV3). I even swallowed my pride, pinched my nose and voted against my government and the party I've almost always supported at the European Elections because I was that unhappy with it.

So no I'm not just a government loyalist. I'm delighted our worst Prime Minister in centuries got ousted. I'm delighted that Johnson won and won handsomely. I'm delighted because the government is doing what I always said it should - I'm not supporting these policies because they're the government's policies, as this is what I supported before they became government policies.

You claimed we'd gutted our industry.
    Which you have. Why do you think all your car factories either shutdown or reduced their workload at previous possible cutoff dates?

It wasn't because they were so completely independent from the continent that they could stand on their own.

It was because there might be minor disruption so they scheduled maintenance shutdowns to match that day to get over any minor disruptions.

And in one swoop it is done. Parliament is today going to pass the Second Reading of the Withdrawal Bill and notably unlike throughout the last three years the likes of the ludicrous Steve Bray are not outside making a racket. Its done, the debate is over, we're leaving.

I must say De Pfeffel is a crafty liar; yesterday he reinstated the Tory lie of the 'implementation period'. Nobody bothered to ask him about what it was he thought to be implementing.
    Congratulations America

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

They're right. And the Tweet is bullshit, Fox has always argued in favour of trade with America. Chlorinated chicken isn't about food standards, we have higher doses of chlorine in our tap water than you would get from eating a bit of chicken. Do you refuse to drink tap water? That's as unscientific bullshit as anti-vax.

The ban on chlorinated chicken is not due to chlorine content, so comparing it with tap water isn't particularly useful.

It is about food safety standards though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    The ban on chlorinated chicken is not due to chlorine content, so comparing it with tap water isn't particularly useful.

It is about food safety standards though.
    No, its more about animal welfare standards and precautions. There's no evidence it improves food safety.

They're right.
    They are, in fact, wrong. The metric Iain Dumbfuck Smith referenced was deaths per capita from those infections. However, by that metric, the UK is currently better than the US--contrary to his claim that the US is better than the UK. The remainder of your post shows an embarrassing ignorance about this particular debate, so you may want to consider editing it out.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Merry Christmas to a UK asserting its independence from transcontinental bureaucracy!

According to this article Brexit soon will turn out more expensive to the UK than it's entire membership. And that's before the UK actually leaves the regulatory sphere of the EU.
    Congratulations America

According to this article Brexit soon will turn out more expensive to the UK than it's entire membership. And that's before the UK actually leaves the regulatory sphere of the EU.
    Its bullshit.

Investment to the UK is actually outstripping investment into the Eurozone. The UK looks set to outgrow the Eurozone this decade. Its a load of crap based on flawed assumptions and garbage in, garbage out.

Brexit's ending.

Parliament (both Commons and Lords) has passed the Withdrawal Agreement Implementation Bill and its now going to the Queen for Royal Assent, the paralysis of the last couple of years has been broken, that can only be a good thing.

We Brexit now officially next week.

the paralysis of the last couple of years has been broken, that can only be a good thing..
    For the first time in this thread I suspect, we are in agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    For the first time in this thread I suspect, we are in agreement.
    Strange that you would agree. It may be so that Royal Assent ends the incertainty about Brexit happening or not. It however does not end the certainty that Brexit is going to result in damage for both sides. So to claim that Brexit 'being done' can only be a good thing, I would not put my name to that under any circumstances.

And of course, the fact that the British side has legislated does not mean that ratification in Brussels can be taken for granted. There will be a vote in the EP, the outcome of that vote is not certain. Only after the EP has accepted the WA, Coreper will assemble to formally ratify. The EP has some serious concerns about the mechanism for controling the British government in its execution of the Agreement with regard to the rights of Citizens. If the EP is not satisfied, then things could become very very hairy indeed.

If you think this is impossible, check out the EP website; a resolution demanding better protection has already been passed with an enormous majority.
    Congratulations America

If the EP play silly buggers then we leave without a deal. You get no money, no citizens rights and lose the Irish protocol. The EP is not going to do that, get real. Its over, stop looking for bear traps where there are none.

If the EP play silly buggers then we leave without a deal. You get no money, no citizens rights and lose the Irish protocol. The EP is not going to do that, get real. Its over, stop looking for bear traps where there are none.
    You may be right. The EC is already drawing up the map for UK's internal border controls.
    Congratulations America

I see Rand's stance is still "Give us what we want or we'll shoot off our foot!"

Three days to go I see and this brick wall you referred to still hasn't appeared. In fact it seems the UK will grow faster than the Eurozone, France or Germany this year.

The prediction you're trying to hijack is on the proviso of having little to no diversion from the present arrangement.

People still work under the idea that your government isn't going to drive into the wall full speed.
    Congratulations America

The prediction you're trying to hijack is on the proviso of having little to no diversion from the present arrangement.

People still work under the idea that your government isn't going to drive into the wall full speed.
    He really doesn't understand how this all works, does he?

In related news, Foreign Office being shitty human beings again:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...cuations-begin