Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

I mean
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post

I mean
    The problem is not just with Boris. Look Kate Hoey; thrives on misinformation about the EU and has the strongest opinions about things she doesn't know the first thing about.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    No and not certain.

I'm happy for the EU to succeed I just don't think its right for the UK. I draw the analogy between Canada and the USA, Canadians don't want America to fail, nor would most say the world would be a better place without America, but nor do Canadians want to be Americans.
    I don't get that analogy, but nevermind.

Do you think the EU is "right" for Germany, France or any other EU member? If so, why do you think it's right for them and not for us? I'm not asking you to explain why you voted for Brexit again, but I'm interested to know what's different about us that means that whilst you're happy for the EU to succeed and arguably benefit the continent, there's "something" about the UK that means we should no longer play a part in that success.

The UK is different
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I don't get that analogy, but nevermind.

Do you think the EU is "right" for Germany, France or any other EU member? If so, why do you think it's right for them and not for us? I'm not asking you to explain why you voted for Brexit again, but I'm interested to know what's different about us that means that whilst you're happy for the EU to succeed and arguably benefit the continent, there's "something" about the UK that means we should no longer play a part in that success.
    What don't you get about the analogy?

Do you think the USA is "right" for Texas, New York or any other US State? If so, why do you think it's right for them and not for Alberta?

I don't think the EU is necessary for any EU nation but if it helps them then great. Good luck to them.

As for what's different about the UK, our history and legal traditions. The UK is a Common Law nation with a history of freedom and democracy. The EU is a Civil Law construct made up of nations not one of which has the history we have of freedom, peace, stability and democracy. EU nations largely look to the EU as a guarantor against the oppression of the past century; to my knowledge [someone correct me if I'm wrong] the UK is unique in being the only EU nation not to have been occupied, under foreign control, or under a dictatorship since the start of the 20th century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The UK is different
    Exceptional you mean.
    Congratulations America

What don't you get about the analogy?

Do you think the USA is "right" for Texas, New York or any other US State? If so, why do you think it's right for them and not for Alberta?

I don't think the EU is necessary for any EU nation but if it helps them then great. Good luck to them.

As for what's different about the UK, our history and legal traditions. The UK is a Common Law nation with a history of freedom and democracy. The EU is a Civil Law construct made up of nations not one of which has the history we have of freedom, peace, stability and democracy. EU nations largely look to the EU as a guarantor against the oppression of the past century; to my knowledge [someone correct me if I'm wrong] the UK is unique in being the only EU nation not to have been occupied, under foreign control, or under a dictatorship since the start of the 20th century.
    Freedom and democracy for whom in your empire? For a big part of the world you were the foreign control and the dictatorship.

Millions of people died even when you weren't trying to beat them down.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Freedom and democracy for whom in your empire? For a big part of the world you were the foreign control and the dictatorship.

Millions of people died even when you weren't trying to beat them down.
    Freedom and democracy for our own citizens, I never said the Empire.

Yes for a big part of the world it was different, and indeed although the Irish weren't under dictatorship or occupied by a foreign power, they were under our control [they were a part of us, but that's how they see it] hence why they're not comparable.

Yes millions died, but those millions weren't us. I'm self-aware enough to understand the distinction. I'm not saying that Empire is good, I'm saying that we were free even when others weren't. We didn't need the EU to secure our freedom.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Freedom and democracy for our own citizens, I never said the Empire.

Yes for a big part of the world it was different, and indeed although the Irish weren't under dictatorship or occupied by a foreign power, they were under our control [they were a part of us, but that's how they see it] hence why they're not comparable.

Yes millions died, but those millions weren't us. I'm self-aware enough to understand the distinction. I'm not saying that Empire is good, I'm saying that we were free even when others weren't. We didn't need the EU to secure our freedom.
    No, all you needed was to subjugate millions of others and steal their riches. And given the way you stole NI I doubt there is any Irish person who would agree with your claim that they ever were 'of us'.
    Congratulations America

Tusk just confirmed that there are no ongoing negotiations with the UK at this time. There are meetings he described as courtesy calls but nothing more. Guess the HoC will get a second vote on the WA some time soon. Getting close to 6 weeks before Brexit finally comes.
    Congratulations America

So we were discussing the Q3 GDP figures recently. The Q4 figures are now out.

Amongst the 4 European G7 economies ...
    Italy officially entered recession with a 0.2% decline following a 0.1% decline in Q3.
    Germany narrowly avoided recession with 0.0% change following a 0.2% decline in Q2.
    The UK grew 0.2% following a 0.6% growth in Q3.
    France did the best with 0.3% growth following their 0.3% growth in Q3.

https://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?queryid=350 (Germany's Q4 not yet on OECD site but have been officially announced today).

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    And now for Q1 and Q2. You're counting your chickens before they're hatched. That's what we have always told you, regardless of your misconceptions or your plain lies about what we supposedly told you.

Particularly Q1 will be interesting - because now all the emergency procedures your companies have prepared will come into full force.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Can someone tell me what the HoC thinks it's going to decide today?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Can someone tell me what the HoC thinks it's going to decide today?
    Summary of HoC Brexit debates:

LOL Aimless

Next Up: The commons debates for three days and votes on a non-binding motion that says they should stop wasting time debating non-binding motions specifying vague goals or instructing the government on general strategies and instructs themselves to instead think up some good ideas about Brexit or whatever.

I think the history books are going to have some Things to Say about Brexit, and the current crop of politicians.

Maybe I should go do a history degree so I can write one of them one day? I think I'll be pretty scathing.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Seems like the British government has given up on renegotiating the WA.
    Congratulations America

We'll see. Renegotiating the WA is the only sane solution that allows an orderly Brexit with a deal and doesn't screw over Ireland. As Varadkar is starting to realise belatedly it seems begging Mutti [funny I thought she had no part in this] not to impose a hard border in Ireland if there's no deal.

In a no deal scenario, the UK will have to choose between violating either WTO rules or the GFA. When Varadkar says Ireland isn't going to accept border controls, it's worth remembering that Ireland can challenge the legality of the UK's idiocy, as well as step up efforts to persuade NI to leave the UK. Unionists aren't the only people living in NI, and NI as a whole has consistently and clearly voted against both Brexit in general and NDB in particular.

Even better.

Make Great Britain Small Again or what?

Small is beautiful.

Well, get used to it. You'll be small in plenty of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Make Great Britain Small Again or what?
    It's just Little England.

Gosh. PROJECT FEAR doesn't know how to stop; this time they ruïned an entire airline.
    Congratulations America

And after PROJECT FEAR messed up trade talks with China, now it is messing up trade talks with Japan. Because nobody could be offended by a stern letter from London telling them to hurry up a bit.
    Congratulations America

PROJECT FEAR is relentless. Honda may announce scrapping 3500 jobs in Swindon tomorrow.

P.S. Swindon voted leave with 54%
    Last edited by Hazir; 02-18-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Congratulations America

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hael-gove-says

Good idea! Particularly when you consider this:

https://www.countryfile.com/news/can...-after-brexit/

The UK grows 61% of the food it eats, according to the National Farming Union (NFU),Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at City, University of London, and DEFRA’s Agriculture in the UK paper (July 2017). Government sources sometimes quote a figure of 75% but this excludes ‘non-indigenous’ items such as exotic fruit – bananas and mangoes, tea, coffee and spices – foods that cannot be grown (either at all or on a meaningful scale) in the UK.
    So, not only will you have food shortages, let's make it more expensive to boot!

More project fear; visa free travel is probably off the table.
    Congratulations America

New "please stop helping" memo being circulated