Page 150 of 206 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

I don't agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Good thing you're not a British negotiator.
    Hope is the denial of reality

British negotiator in action:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    British negotiator in action:

That was Theresa May's entire tenure as Prime Minister!
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It's unbelievable how you believe that De Pfeffel did any better.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It's unbelievable how you believe that De Pfeffel did any better.
    I wanted him to get rid of the backstop.

He got rid of the backstop.

What are you struggling to understand? I made my position quite clear on the backstop and thanks to Boris it is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

By pushing NI into a separate customs territory, yes, thanks for that #winningbylosing

What are you struggling to understand? I made my position quite clear on the backstop and thanks to Boris it is gone.
    He got rid of the backstop. You love to repeat that quite a lot don’t you? You still don’t understand that the part of the backstop that was taken out was exactly the part the EU didn’t like?

Your man went into a relatively simple negotiation and gave away something huge in return for nothing and you think that’s a good thing? After this joker ‘gets Brexit done’ you’re going to move from a place at the table to a place on the menu and you’ll learn what it means to be breakfast.

What I struggle with is how someone could be seeing this happening to his country and be cheering the people responsible for it on.
    Congratulations America

This sort of behaviour is being displayed by large numbers of people--mostly dudes--all over the Anglosphere. See eg. the US since shortly after the Brexit referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    By pushing NI into a separate customs territory, yes, thanks for that #winningbylosing
    Besides it being untrue and even if it was true . . . Who cares about that?

Better that than the alternative.

He got rid of the backstop. You love to repeat that quite a lot don’t you? You still don’t understand that the part of the backstop that was taken out was exactly the part the EU didn’t like?

Your man went into a relatively simple negotiation and gave away something huge in return for nothing and you think that’s a good thing? After this joker ‘gets Brexit done’ you’re going to move from a place at the table to a place on the menu and you’ll learn what it means to be breakfast.

What I struggle with is how someone could be seeing this happening to his country and be cheering the people responsible for it on.
    This is a prime example of how negotiations aren't zero sum. We didn't like the backstop, you didn't like the backstop but thought it was necessary - Boris found a solution that meant we got rid of the backstop we didn't want and you got rid of the bits you didn't want. Win, win for both parties.

This is a prime example of how negotiations aren't zero sum. We didn't like the backstop, you didn't like the backstop but thought it was necessary - Boris found a solution that meant we got rid of the backstop we didn't want and you got rid of the bits you didn't want. Win, win for both parties.
    Sure, if you redefine "we" to exclude DUP, for whom this was indeed zero sum and has resulted in a major setback

Why would I associate myself in "we" with the DUP? I'm a Tory not DUP. Sure exclude them all you like, I don't care about them. I don't particularly like the DUP, they opposed the GFA itself too. I do like former Ulster Unionist Party Leader, Nobel Peace Prize Winner and Good Friday Agreement signatory Lord David Trimble who opposed the backstop but backs Boris's deal. The DUP can go whine from the sidelines unless they win a majority in Stormont in which case they can vote to end the special arrangements Boris negotiated.

The Conservative Party is a unionist party, in name at least. It gave up Northern Ireland for all intents and purposes. And all we had to do was accept a rule of consent that realistically can never be turned against us.
    Congratulations America

No it didn't. It gave devolution to Northern Ireland's Stormont Assembly, devolution has existed for a long time now.

What's your problem with devolution? I have none, what's your issue.

No it didn't. It gave devolution to Northern Ireland's Stormont Assembly, devolution has existed for a long time now.

What's your problem with devolution? I have none, what's your issue.
    You know that unionist will never have the numbers. The union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is de facto over. It's not devolution its abandonment.
    Congratulations America

Fine. If the unionists don't have the numbers that's democracy. I'm cool with that.

So, you are fine with giving us NI. You're also fine with not getting anything in return for it?
    Congratulations America

If that's what the voters want - I always have been. I'm a democrat.

If the voters want to go completely then please take it, you'd be doing us a favour! No need to ask for anything just pick up the tab.

You are dodging the question.
    Congratulations America

No I'm not. How was "If that is what the voters want - I always have been" dodging the question?

If you want a one word answer then: Yes.

How can I possibly be clearer?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    You're one of the voters. Which means that this is what you want.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

No I'm not. How was "If that is what the voters want - I always have been" dodging the question?

If you want a one word answer then: Yes.

How can I possibly be clearer?
    So, you think a good negotiation means that you make big concessions in return for obeying the rules of the other side?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    You're one of the voters. Which means that this is what you want.
    Yes this deal is what I want, that's why I'm voting for the government to be re-elected. I'm happy with it.

But for the NI-specific protocol once this goes through its future wouldn't be determined in Westminster, or Brussels, but in Stormont where it belongs.

So, you think a good negotiation means that you make big concessions in return for obeying the rules of the other side?
    What big concessions have we made?

Do I think in a good negotiation my side of the negotiation should make concessions at all, yes of course I do!

What big concessions have we made?

Do I think in a good negotiation my side of the negotiation should make concessions at all, yes of course I do!
    You de facto gave away Northern Ireland. In return you got nothing besides the right to obey our rules for another 11 months.
    Congratulations America

We de jure kept Northern Ireland and gave the Northern Irish the choice over what happens in the future to them. That's not a concession. Are you so undemocratic you think we should have denied them a choice if that's an option?

We de jure kept Northern Ireland and gave the Northern Irish the choice over what happens in the future to them. That's not a concession. Are you so undemocratic you think we should have denied them a choice if that's an option?
    De jure. However, we have possession.
    Congratulations America

Who cares? What are you trying to prove? I couldn't care less, they can vote however they please its none of my business.

I'm not proving anything. Just pointing out your government has crap negotiation skills and/or zero leverage
    Congratulations America