Page 145 of 206 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Would the Dutch branch be held liable for cancelation compensation claimed before brexit, or are the two entities completely separate from one another?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It appears that they are separate entities. Might be that they will be sold off as a going concern. Bookings are covered under a Dutch program.
    Congratulations America

Every (democratic) people have the government they deserve.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/w...er-arcuri.html
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, the supreme court just declared BoJo's parliament shenanigans to be illegal. This will be fun to watch...
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Unanimous decision that threw proroguing was not only unlawful but also without effect, ie. Parliament has not been prorogued and can decide to reconvene now. Full text of the ruling here in the linked document (haven't read it closely yet):

Absolutely brutal:

Candidate for dumbest commentary:

Do I understand correctly that the purpose of the prorogation was deemed to be intended to stop Parliament from doing its constitutional duties ?

Can a PM really stay in office after being accused of this?
    Congratulations America

Only if they have absolutely no shame. So yes in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Do I understand correctly that the purpose of the prorogation was deemed to be intended to stop Parliament from doing its constitutional duties ?
    They carefully avoided saying that explicitly, but, yes, if you read between the lines, that's what they appear to have thought. They courteously state that no better reason was provided by the govt. In any case, irrespective of intention, the effect of proroguing would be that Parliament would be unable to fulfill its constitutional duties, as was discussed earlier in this thread.

I'm envious that the UK, faced with Trumpian "leadership", is able to quickly and effectively correct.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Just wait until the next election. Labour is going out of its way to lose.

I wonder if Randblade still is happy with his Brexit vote; a PM guilty of unlawful exercise of powers. Judges voiding a prorogation of parliament by the Queen. It boggles the mind.

is there anything you are not willing to sacrifice just because you can't admit you made a mistake casting your vote?
    Congratulations America

Naw, he's an English Trump-fan.

Just caught up on Johnson's concoct in HoC today. Fucking yuck. What an absolute little shit of a man. The UK has its Trump, and Johnson's devotees are no better than the orange emperor's.

Gove lied almost non-stop, except when he simply ignored legitimate questions (eg. about the data harvesting). The lies about business readiness were perhaps the most pathetic: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-49833221

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Just caught up on Johnson's concoct in HoC today. Fucking yuck. What an absolute little shit of a man. The UK has its Trump, and Johnson's devotees are no better than the orange emperor's.
    So old. Everyone to the right of Karl Marx is Trump to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    So old. Everyone to the right of Karl Marx is Trump to you.
    No, that is incorrect you derphead. I do not refer to Johnson's moderate opponents in the Conservative Party as being Trumpian, for example, and they are certainly to the right of Marx. Johnson's behavior was utterly atrocious, and both his behaviour and rhetoric were Trumpian in tone and substance. He has no shame, so others are forced to be ashamed on his behalf, just as we are now - once again! - forced to be ashamed on your behalf because you have so earnestly embraced the politics of the post-shame era that you no longer know right from wrong. I do not know whether to pity you or simply despise your contemptible behaviour.

Everything's atrocious and everything's a shame. Get real.

Johnson's prorogation of Parliament was deemed lawful by the Attorney General, the English High Court, the Master of Rolls, the NI High Court, the Scottish Court of First Instance, 400 years of history, longer prorogations by Labour in the past - but yes it was a shame and he should apologise
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Everything's atrocious and everything's a shame. Get real.

Johnson's prorogation of Parliament was deemed lawful by the Attorney General, the English High Court, the Master of Rolls, the NI High Court, the Scottish Court of First Instance, 400 years of history, longer prorogations by Labour in the past - but yes it was a shame and he should apologise
    He should apologize for his disgusting behavior in the commons yesterday. He should apologize for suggesting he wouldn't follow the law. And, yes, he should apologize for his deception, now that it has been made clear for all to see. I understand why you feel compelled to double down on this shameful behavior; it is the same reason why so many people can't bring themselves to disavow Trump. But the shame isn't going to go away. You're stuck with it.

He hasn't said he wouldn't follow the law. He has said he wouldn't ask for an extension but he has also said he will comply with the law. The idea he has said he would break the law is a LIE and you should apologise for LYING.

Unless you can quote where he has said he would break the law, in which case I will apologise. But I bet you can't.

His behaviour in the Commons was fine though there was some sick behaviour there I agree. Like trying to point score with a dead persons name that was sick.

He hasn't said he wouldn't follow the law. He has said he wouldn't ask for an extension but he has also said he will comply with the law. The idea he has said he would break the law is a LIE and you should apologise for LYING.

Unless you can quote where he has said he would break the law, in which case I will apologise. But I bet you can't.

He has said he would not do what he is required to do by law.

His behaviour in the Commons was fine though there was some sick behaviour there I agree. Like trying to point score with a dead persons name that was sick.
    Nobody's falling for this. You can continue to debase yourself for everyone here to see if that's what floats your boat, but that his behaviour yesterday was atrocious is beyond dispute except among those who, like you, have humiliated themselves so thoroughly over the past few years that they can no longer permit themselves to feel shame. What MPs pointed out to Johnson was that his incendiary proto-fascist rhetoric was dangerous, that his words can have dangerous real-world consequences for MPs who are frequently subjected to death-threats that have, since Cox's murder and the revelation of the foiled murder-plot against Cooper, become far more concerning. Johnson's rhetoric is tailor-made to blow fresh life into the dangerous discourse about fifth column traitors that is so common among far right extremists of the variety that targeted Cox and Cooper. I understand why someone so morally bankrupt as he might dismiss these legitimate concerns as "humbug", but almost everyone who witnessed these exchanges--who haven't themselves sacrificed what little integrity and decency they had left on the altar of Brexit--recognized his behavior as being utterly repugnant. Your pretense of not recognizing this only serves to call your own character into question. It's as sickening as it is pathetic.

What is wrong with you?

It was not "fine". It was not how leader of our society, which is completely divided, should act. The PM has a special responsibility. He/She must be a role model for us. He must set the standards by which we behave and interact with others.

He needs to stop with the ridiculous war talk. We're not at war and continually peddling the "surrender" phrase is an insult to anyone who has ever been touched by the horror of war. It's a pathetic, transparent tactic straight out of Propaganda 101; and anyone who supports it should be ashamed of themselves.

His response to the Jo Cox question was sick.

Just chiming in also to confirm that, yes, Boris Johnson is a massive piece of shit.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

He has said he would not do what he is required to do by law.
    Where does that say he will break the law?

There are multiple options available to him short of breaking the law. One much-speculated about is that he will say that he can't seek an extension, but the PM must by law, so he is tendering his resignation as PM and will lead the Conservatives on the opposition benches. Perfectly legal.
    Nobody's falling for this. You can continue to debase yourself for everyone here to see if that's what floats your boat, but that his behaviour yesterday was atrocious is beyond dispute except among those who, like you, have humiliated themselves so thoroughly over the past few years that they can no longer permit themselves to feel shame. What MPs pointed out to Johnson was that his incendiary proto-fascist rhetoric was dangerous, that his words can have dangerous real-world consequences for MPs who are frequently subjected to death-threats that have, since Cox's murder and the revelation of the foiled murder-plot against Cooper, become far more concerning. Johnson's rhetoric is tailor-made to blow fresh life into the dangerous discourse about fifth column traitors that is so common among far right extremists of the variety that targeted Cox and Cooper. I understand why someone so morally bankrupt as he might dismiss these legitimate concerns as "humbug", but almost everyone who witnessed these exchanges--who haven't themselves sacrificed what little integrity and decency they had left on the altar of Brexit--recognized his behavior as being utterly repugnant. Your pretense of not recognizing this only serves to call your own character into question. It's as sickening as it is pathetic.
    "Proto-fascistic"? Get a grip.

PMs in Parliament debasing democracy and refusing to implement what 17.4 million people voted for because they don't accept they lost the referendum is what is leading to anger. Not perfectly appropriate rhetoric by the PM. That is what is sickening, democracy only works so long as everyone accepts to respect the result and the disgraceful MPs who refuse to implement the result are risking our entire democratic system of governance. That is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    What is wrong with you?

It was not "fine". It was not how leader of our society, which is completely divided, should act. The PM has a special responsibility. He/She must be a role model for us. He must set the standards by which we behave and interact with others.

He needs to stop with the ridiculous war talk. We're not at war and continually peddling the "surrender" phrase is an insult to anyone who has ever been touched by the horror of war. It's a pathetic, transparent tactic straight out of Propaganda 101; and anyone who supports it should be ashamed of themselves.

His response to the Jo Cox question was sick.
    The Benn Bill is a Surrender Act, that is exactly what it is. It literally meets the definition of surrender.

The PM literally surrenders all executive authority or ability to accept or reject an extension under the Benn Act. I don't think Hazir will disagree with me here, the EU Council excluding us will make the decision and we just surrender any authority and accept whatever we are given meekly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Surrender Act
    If the European Council decides to agree an extension of the period in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00pm on 31 October 2019, but to a date other than 11.00pm on 31 January 2020, the Prime Minister must, within a period of two days beginning with the end of the day on which the European Council’s decision is made, or before the end of 30 October 2019, whichever is sooner, notify the President of the European Council that the United Kingdom agrees to the proposed extension.

Jesus Christ, I really hope that you yourself will reap what you sow. You personally.

Despicable scum of the earth that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Jesus Christ, I really hope that you yourself will reap what you sow. You personally.

Despicable scum of the earth that you are.
    Let the hate go, its unbecoming.

Wondering when Aimless will rush in to condemn Khen for his remarks, I've never wished ill on anyone. Considering its about the 30th time he's written that though and I've never seen any condemnation before I'm guessing he won't. Because the truth is you don't like Boris because he's a centre-right Brexiteer, not because of any language used.

Boris is a sociopath using fascist far-right rhetoric and breaking the law for personal gain. In addition to this, he is a known liar, with a long history of lying for personal gain. Finally, he has a long history of engaging in or enabling bigotry, esp. against minorities. I'm not surprised you, with your distrust of people with certain accents and your love of defending police racism—and your utter disregard for the truth—would have such a hardon for such a wanker. There are centrist Tories, but Johnson's political ideology is nihilistic egotism.

As for Khen hoping you feel the full consequences of your choices in the event of a NDB, you should hope for precisely the same thing; that is, after all, one of the most important features of a democracy: people tend to get what they deserve. In the case of a NDB, those who voted to fuck over their nation and at least half of its citizens—along with millions of EU citizens among their friends and neighbors—absolutely deserve to enjoy the fruits of that decision. It won't make life better for the people you fucked over, but it would at least be just.

At the end of the day, Khen is not a political leader. He has no constituency. He has no reach, no platform, no audience. The media doesn't report on his remarks. No extremist will be inspired by his words, and he has no responsibilities v a v the institutions of your country, just as I have no responsibilities v a v his posting choices. So cry me a river. Or, if you're prudent, start stockpiling canned tomatoes.