Page 193 of 206 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,790 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Hopefully clearing will be sorted, but there's a difference of course between trillions in assets nominally changing jurisdictions and billions or trillions in taxes doing so. Many companies seem to have set up a glorified PO Box in Europe for holding the assets while keeping the jobs and real work in London so it will be interesting to see as time goes on how that affects taxation.

I like the logic in the article that, far from being so big that financial services needed dealing with, that financial services are 'big enough to look after themselves'. The simple reality is that financial services are so big and so global that its important London is a rule setter not a rule taker. Hence its not as simple as "agree a deal".
    You seem to forget that the rules set in case the City survives, will not be decided in Westminster.
    Congratulations America

It isn’t a threat,it’s reality. We treat fish from the UK now exactly the same as fish from Indonesia. Britain in a true Global Britain way.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    You seem to forget that the rules set in case the City survives, will not be decided in Westminster.
    Actually that's the point. They will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It isn’t a threat,it’s reality. We treat fish from the UK now exactly the same as fish from Indonesia. Britain in a true Global Britain way.
    I was just trying to fit in some puns
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

First major divergence in banking rules - City going tougher than Europe. Good luck cashing in your software during a credit crunch, what a bizarre decision by the EU.

Anyone else confused by the pathetic way in which the British government keeps telling they will take one issue or another up with the EU or the members of the EU?

What's feeding this idea that we have time to palaver about what they don't like about having left this time.

One of the issues was the ability of British performers having to apply for a separate work permit for every single country where they want to go on stage. Again the tired promise to talk to the members. But this time it's even a bit more pathetic because during the negotiations the idea of a 90-day visa free period for temporary workers was rejected by the UK. Do they think any EU capital is unaware of this fact? Do they really expect the members to undermine the EU positions where these are so clearly in the best interest of all members?
    Congratulations America

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Brexit, Covid or UK politics thread but this is extremely interesting. There's been reports that with much of hospitality closed in the UK due to Covid that many migrants who'd come here to work had "returned home" rather than stay in the UK paying high rents without income coming in. These are the changes on employment levels in Oct-Dec 2020 compared with a year earlier:

Total -542k
    UK born +251k
    EU born -497k
    Non EU born -298k

And within the EU born:

EU14 'Western Europe' -58k
    EU8 'Eastern Europe' -302k
    EU2 'Romania & Bulgaria' -138k

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...tionalityemp06

Helps explain why unemployment hasn't become an issue during the last year. I'm absolutely flabbergasted to see UK born figures up by a quarter of a million during a pandemic, I'd have expected it to be well down.

The EP has taken the ratification of the TCA of the agenda.
    Congratulations America

Singapore welcomes and supports the UK’s formal application on 1 February 2021 to accede to the CPTPP.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-the-future

Next you're gonna tell us you build red double decker buses from wine crates in your spare time?
    Congratulations America

I can hear that gnashing of your teeth from here.

Deals coming through with the USA and the CPTPP, this is the future not the past about worrying about whatever sclerotic Europe is obsessing over today. We're moving onwards and outwards.

Wow that's impressive it must have been difficult to persuade Biden to reverse one of Trump's temper-tantrum orders *slow clap*

They were punitive tariffs levied in a dispute with the EU which are now being removed. Has he removed the tariffs on the EU as well at the same time or just the UK?

Obviously if we were still in the EU's customs union we'd still be in EU disputes with Biden.

Though yes it will be more impressive if we get a full trade deal with them, like the CPTPP.

I can hear that gnashing of your teeth from here.

Deals coming through with the USA and the CPTPP, this is the future not the past about worrying about whatever sclerotic Europe is obsessing over today. We're moving onwards and outwards.
    I see you filled up on tomorrow's jam?
    Congratulations America

That was kind of a point of leaving, yes. The benefits for leaving are coming true while you're still rambling on about your Parliament as if anyone gives a flying fuck what's on your Parliament's agenda - that's not news here, the USA dropping tariffs on whisky is news.

Your Parliament is not our problem anymore.

The point of leaving was to screw up your economy today in order to have unrealistic dreams about your future? You lot don't even stick to your word for a full trimester. Not only Europeans know you can't be trusted.
    Congratulations America

Who knows, maybe in the future Brexit will start benefitting the UK and they can start to try to make back what they've lost in the last 4 years and are continuing to lose.

Maybe.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

They were punitive tariffs levied in a dispute with the EU which are now being removed. Has he removed the tariffs on the EU as well at the same time or just the UK?

Obviously if we were still in the EU's customs union we'd still be in EU disputes with Biden.
    You are still in a dispute this is a temporary (4 months) suspension of retaliatory tariffs as a show of goodwill in response to the UK unilaterally suspending tariffs that had previously been imposed due to the Boeing/Airbus subsidy dispute, which involved the UK directly as a WTO member. The UK is now only a minor party to this dispute, and was therefore able to placate the US by baring its throat and unilaterally removing its tariffs. It's a reasonable move for both parties—esp. for the UK, as it needs to build goodwill for trade talks. There is no reason for the US to remove tariffs levied against the EU as a result of this long-running dispute, because both sides remain heavily invested in it. Biden might reverse some of the tariffs that had been imposed by Trump, but a significant de-escalation will be mutual, and will have to be negotiated; the EU won't unilaterally remove all its tariffs just to placate the US, or vice versa. Fortunately, there's been a lot of progress on both sides of the dispute, so it's not unreasonable to think that they'll be able to settle it in the coming year/years.

So what you're saying is that by the UK being independent, the UK has been able to unilaterally drop its tariffs and get the US to drop its in return, while the EU ones continue.

Yes, that was my point too. The UK acted first yes, on literally the very first day we were able to do so 1/1/21 and the USA has reciprocated. Progress.

So what you're saying is that by the UK being independent, the UK has been able to unilaterally drop its tariffs and get the US to drop its in return, while the EU ones continue.

Yes, that was my point too. The UK acted first yes, on literally the very first day we were able to do so 1/1/21 and the USA has reciprocated. Progress.
    What I'm saying is that this isn't a "deal" so much as it is a minor negotiation move. Because of leaving the EU, the UK has had to bare its throat in order to secure a temporary suspension of tariffs in the hopes of bolstering goodwill; by leaving the EU—and by addressing some of the issues that gave rise to the dispute in the first place—the UK become a minor party to the dispute, which enabled this approach. The UK is a party in its own right, as a member of the WTO—not simply as a member of the EU; after all, the British govt. was also found to have been guilty of illegal subsidization of Airbus.

You keep using the absurd term "bare its throat" as if the UK being able to be nimble and agile to get what it wanted outside the EU was a weakness and not a strength.

Shows your twisted mindset. You just can't comprehend how the UK doing what it wants - and getting what it wants in return - is a strength.

I shouldn't be surprised after your digging in on lies in the other thread, I just haven't had the time to reply to that yet as too busy IRL at the minute.

You keep using the absurd term "bare its throat" as if the UK being able to be nimble and agile to get what it wanted outside the EU was a weakness and not a strength.

Shows your twisted mindset. You just can't comprehend how the UK doing what it wants - and getting what it wants in return - is a strength.

I shouldn't be surprised after your digging in on lies in the other thread, I just haven't had the time to reply to that yet as too busy IRL at the minute.
    Remember my story about my friend and the surgeon, o illiterate and ignorant one it's interesting that you object so strongly to being reminded of the power dynamic at play, because it somehow downplays the UK's agency, while at the same time failing to acknowledge that the EU is also leveraging its strength and getting what it wants for the time being—as is the US. There is nothing to be upset about here, you big baby. You're mad because you feel like you're being cheated of recognition and praise that you've earned, but nobody's cheating you; we're just not as easily impressed by minor and expected developments as you are.

The power dynamic is the UK is now operating as a major independent economy, freed from the shackles of having to negotiate as one of 28.

Minor and expected?

So you were expecting the UK to be able to join the CPTPP prior to the referendum? And get a trade deal with the US while the EU failed to do so?

The UK is leveraging its strength and was able using its strength to get damaging tariffs on Scotch dropped.

Minor and expected?

So you were expecting the UK to be able to join the CPTPP prior to the referendum? And get a trade deal with the US while the EU failed to do so?

The UK is leveraging its strength and was able using its strength to get damaging tariffs on Scotch dropped.
    I was expecting the US to reverse Trump's targeted tariffs against the UK; it's an extremely small thing that requires no strength at all, it's facilitated by the UK's improved behaviour wrt subsidies, and it helps talks move along. The UK doesn't have a trade deal with the US, nor has it joined the CPTPP. The EU isn't seeking a comprehensive trade deal with the US, so to describe that as a failure is just stupid; it would be just as appropriate to say the US has failed to get a trade deal with the EU, due to a lack of strength and agility. As always, your jingoistic framing adds nothing of value to the discussion.

Remind me when the EU pulled the plug on the TTIP?

Remind me when the EU pulled the plug on the TTIP?
    I don't know whether this is just your reading difficulties again or if there's some other reason why you think that the EU not pursuing a comprehensive trade deal with the US contradicts my claim that the EU is not pursuing a comprehensive trade agreement with the US like... mate, can you or can you not read? Serious question.