Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Election 8th of June

Close but no cigar.

I want relatively free movement with a minimal amount of consistent regulations. I think the present Tory government is the best choice available but that won't mean I'll defend crass and stupid mistakes I disagree with. I dislike May and much of what she's doing and the fact I'd vote for her if forced to doesn't mean I'll support or defend that which I disagree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Close but no cigar.

I want relatively free movement with a minimal amount of consistent regulations. I think the present Tory government is the best choice available but that won't mean I'll defend crass and stupid mistakes I disagree with. I dislike May and much of what she's doing and the fact I'd vote for her if forced to doesn't mean I'll support or defend that which I disagree with.
    Similarly, I believe the government should have the authority to regulate a number of areas, but I have opinions or beliefs about which specific policies should be implemented and how.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

And I would agree with that.

There are some areas where we have no choice but to accept regulations.

If you can find a way to get rid of bureaucratic incompetence from the system then I would stop taking into account its incompetence when weighing up whether I trust remote bureaucrats more or less than accountable people.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I wonder if Tories like to dress up as circus clowns:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/eu...cedented-power

It seems a pretty reasonable starting suggestion for a time-limited way to ensure we leave the EU on a solid legal footing with the inherited laws from the EU maintained.

No doubt this will be amended in Parliament to provide more scrutiny. That is Parliament doing its job.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-doesn-t-have

Fake news, Tories have 350 million MPs.

I don't think it's fair that parliament is being allowed to compete against cable TV shows. Thread lays bare the absurdity of the withdrawal bill in its present form.

Just because David Tweets that something is awful doesn't make it so. Realistically a way needs to be implemented to adopt and adapt 40 years worth of legislation. If you have a better proposal then let's hear it.

Just because David Tweets that something is awful doesn't make it so. Realistically a way needs to be implemented to adopt and adapt 40 years worth of legislation. If you have a better proposal then let's hear it.
    The thread goes into why it's a bad idea and is followed by his recommendations for improvement.

I've read through to 22 where he says "/ends" and not seen any recommendations.

I've read through to 22 where he says "/ends" and not seen any recommendations.
    He later recommends splitting the bill into two separate bills, one dealing with continuity of EU law and one dealing withdrawal. Giving ministers carte-blanche to do whatever the fuck they want with the law is not necessary--govt. has indicated that it intends to adopt the vast overwhelming majority of EU law for the time being and sort out conflicts as they crop up. These conflicts are for the time being likely to be few and can be handled via ordinary parliamentary procedure.

The speeches and public statements coming out of the conservative conference... Jesus fucking Christ *shudders* I did not believe they'd be able to make the abysmal Labour conference look sane. What a bunch of irredeemable asshats.

Such as?

No reply?

Only speech I saw this year was May's and it was embarrassing. I actually felt sorry for her. First interrupted by a "protestor" giving her a P45 (a comic Simon Brodkin, aka Lee Nelson, infamous for such pranks - how he passed the security checks and got a media pass is beyond me). Then she broke down into a series of humiliating coughing fits and completely lost her voice. Then to top it off the stage itself said in reply to her "image of modern Britain" ... "F Off".

10 second clip, watch with the sound on preferably:

Hope is the denial of reality

There are far worse sources to nick lines from and I swear every politician now gets accused of nicking lines from The West Wing.

Well, if everyone is doing it...
    Hope is the denial of reality

Indeed, everyone does tend to take inspiration from good oratory.

Inspiration != lifting lines wholesale. That's plagiarism.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

This isn't university.

I'd rather someone plagiarise Ted Bartlett than Mein Kampf

Right, that's why I don't expect her to reference everything in the Harvard style. Not nicking lines from TV shows doesn't seem like an unreasonably high bar to get over.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

May and Corbyn tied for second place in a two-horse race:

Hopefully neither of them will be in place by the next election in 2022. What we have done to deserve these two I don't know.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    What we have done to deserve these two I don't know.
    Seriously? You don't know?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

No, but it does seem to be a global problem.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Maybe, just maybe it has something to do with this nationalism thing you're so fond of. Add in a dash of populism which you blindly believe in and the rest of us know full well where this shit comes from.

But it's par for the course that you of all people have no clue.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I fail to see what Jeremy Corbyn's election back in 2015 had to do with nationalism. He is not a nationalist whatsoever.

Care to join the dots in your thinking?

Hopefully neither of them will be in place by the next election in 2022. What we have done to deserve these two I don't know.
    What about nurturing a useless polical class for over decades? You consistently call people who learned some posh debating tricks 'intelligent', and let them run the country on the basis of not having a clue about anything useful. Any two candidates on either side of the aisle would give you the same choice between hapless and useless.
    Congratulations America