Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: UK Election 8th of June

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

To be honest, if there's going to be a Brexit protest vote I'd rather it be with the party that pretends not to be racist, than the part that makes absolutely no bones about being racist.
    Have you ever seen the televised St. Vitus Subcommittee Prize Investigation Dance, those ants-in-pants glaces?
    Well, look behind the eyes: it's a hallowed, hollow anaesthetised "Save me own ass, screw these guys" smoke and mirror lock down

Local Election Results:

Tories: pwned
    Labour: Mild losses
    Lib Dems: Doubled number of seats
    Greens: Increased number of seats by order of magnitude
    UKIP: ruination
    Others: More than doubled
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 05-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Have you ever seen the televised St. Vitus Subcommittee Prize Investigation Dance, those ants-in-pants glaces?
    Well, look behind the eyes: it's a hallowed, hollow anaesthetised "Save me own ass, screw these guys" smoke and mirror lock down

What could it all mean
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

It means that Farage's new Brexit party decided not to stand in the local elections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    It means that Farage's new Brexit party decided not to stand in the local elections.
    Huge gains for anti-Brexit parties, even greater losses for those who have tried to deliver Brexit.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Huge gains for anti-Brexit parties, even greater losses for those who have tried to deliver Brexit.
    That's too simplistic a reading as it ignores the huge gains by "Others" and that the Lib Dems are traditionally a receptical for "pox on all your houses" "none of the above" votes. Ironically many may have voted Lib Dem because they're pissed off that Brexit hasn't been delivered yet.

Tories and Labour have failed to deliver Brexit, not tried to do so.
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Interestingly in my ward [safe Labour in a safe Labour city] a husband and wife who have stood unsuccessfully for the Tories every year for years stood this time as independents. I don't know why. Just seen the results, they got 4x the official Tory candidates votes and ran Labour surprisingly close.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Ironically many may have voted Lib Dem because they're pissed off that Brexit hasn't been delivered yet.
    Seems unlikely.

So, you can certainly interpret these results as a rejection of Brexit, but there are a few caveats:

1) Disgruntled Brexiters have nowhere to go but either UKIP or the Others. UKIP are maniacs who have been reduced to fielding fascists, edgelord Youtubers and, in one case, a mop with a pair of googly eyes stuck on, as candidates and the Others are still north of the wall in the books, might not actually be anti-Brexiter Others, and you might not even have any Others in on your ballot. I only had Labour and Tory options on mine. Meanwhile, disgruntled Remainer Labour voters angry that Labour won't support a second referendum have a natural home in the Lib Dems or Greens, who wouldn't very far from them on ideology or policy.
    2) No one seems to be talking about what turnout was like, but local elections traditionally have a low turnout so it's likely that many angry Brexiters simply stayed away rather than stomach voting for UKIP.
    3) Tory losses look devastating compared to Labour, but not all seats were up for grabs. It was only England and NI. No Scotland and Wales, so they probably had more seats *to* lose. Labour probably would have gotten their ass kicked in Scotland.
    4) Public opinion on Brexit changes all the time, and polls are all over the place depending on the phrasing of the question. Maybe the public just felt like No Brexit this week?