Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: UK Election 8th of June

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

To be honest, if there's going to be a Brexit protest vote I'd rather it be with the party that pretends not to be racist, than the part that makes absolutely no bones about being racist.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Local Election Results:

Tories: pwned
    Labour: Mild losses
    Lib Dems: Doubled number of seats
    Greens: Increased number of seats by order of magnitude
    UKIP: ruination
    Others: More than doubled
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 05-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

What could it all mean
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It means that Farage's new Brexit party decided not to stand in the local elections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    It means that Farage's new Brexit party decided not to stand in the local elections.
    Huge gains for anti-Brexit parties, even greater losses for those who have tried to deliver Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Huge gains for anti-Brexit parties, even greater losses for those who have tried to deliver Brexit.
    That's too simplistic a reading as it ignores the huge gains by "Others" and that the Lib Dems are traditionally a receptical for "pox on all your houses" "none of the above" votes. Ironically many may have voted Lib Dem because they're pissed off that Brexit hasn't been delivered yet.

Tories and Labour have failed to deliver Brexit, not tried to do so.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Interestingly in my ward [safe Labour in a safe Labour city] a husband and wife who have stood unsuccessfully for the Tories every year for years stood this time as independents. I don't know why. Just seen the results, they got 4x the official Tory candidates votes and ran Labour surprisingly close.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Ironically many may have voted Lib Dem because they're pissed off that Brexit hasn't been delivered yet.
    Seems unlikely.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

So, you can certainly interpret these results as a rejection of Brexit, but there are a few caveats:

1) Disgruntled Brexiters have nowhere to go but either UKIP or the Others. UKIP are maniacs who have been reduced to fielding fascists, edgelord Youtubers and, in one case, a mop with a pair of googly eyes stuck on, as candidates and the Others are still north of the wall in the books, might not actually be anti-Brexiter Others, and you might not even have any Others in on your ballot. I only had Labour and Tory options on mine. Meanwhile, disgruntled Remainer Labour voters angry that Labour won't support a second referendum have a natural home in the Lib Dems or Greens, who wouldn't very far from them on ideology or policy.
    2) No one seems to be talking about what turnout was like, but local elections traditionally have a low turnout so it's likely that many angry Brexiters simply stayed away rather than stomach voting for UKIP.
    3) Tory losses look devastating compared to Labour, but not all seats were up for grabs. It was only England and NI. No Scotland and Wales, so they probably had more seats *to* lose. Labour probably would have gotten their ass kicked in Scotland.
    4) Public opinion on Brexit changes all the time, and polls are all over the place depending on the phrasing of the question. Maybe the public just felt like No Brexit this week?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

From Guido Fawkes blog, this story is amusing: https://order-order.com/2019/05/30/b...-peterborough/

Next week there is a by-election in Peterborough following the inaugural successful recall petition against the former Labour MP who had been jailed for 3 months. Noteably after being released from jail she voted for the bill that required an extension in the second reading vote that only passed by a majority of one (ie her vote was critical, without her vote it would have lost).

Following the Euros the Brexit Party is now odds-on favourite to do what UKIP never did and gain a seat at a by-election. The Labour Party paid the local paper to run an attack ad against the Brexit Party. As a courtesy the paper informed the party about the ad, and they designed their own rebuttal ad and paid for it to be on the adjoining page.

Attack ads like this aren't a normal part of British politics that I know of, since TV adverts are illegal, but regardless of politics this is a slick response

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Sends a very clear message to the big two parties what they need to do. Get off the fence.

David Cameron hired by Artificial Intelligence firm

Great, now he's doing PR for Skynet.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

David Cameron hired by Artificial Intelligence firm

Great, now he's doing PR for Skynet.
    You'd have thought the Black Mirror episode inspired by him would've made him more cautious about embracing dystopian technology.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Sends a very clear message to the big two parties what they need to do. Get off the fence.
    The Tories by this point are without doubt pro-Brexit. They are just utterly unable to decide amongst themselves how to Brexit.

You are right about Labour who are losing support on both pro- and anti- Brexit sides of the fence by stating the sum total of fuck all in regard to their Brexit intentions.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Why the fuck do people want to vote for the Brexit party? No manifesto. No elected leader. No membership. One policiy: "go go WTO"

What the fuck is wrong with the people in the country? I literally didn't think we could be any stupider after voting for Brexit. I can't even.

Arrogant, ignorant fucks the lot of us.

Can't see any hope for us at all. The future of this country looks incredibly bleak.

To send a message to our elected politicians. That's why I did in the European Elections.

No manifesto? So what, when our current crop of politicians don't implement their manifestos or even do the exact opposite.
    No elected leader? You think May and Corbyn are a better alternative? May and Cable have both resigned anyway. And this isn't a General Election so there is no risk of instilling Farage in Number 10.
    The one policy is to respect democracy. Implement what we voted for which hasn't been implemented yet.

Which elected leader with their manifesto they are faithfully following do you think people should be voting for instead?

The Tories and Labour have a chance to listen to the fact the public isn't happy with their current trajectory and change, or they deserve to die. Personally I hope the Tories listen carefully to the message being sent and adapt in their current leadership election and get us out of the morass that May dragged us into.

You voted for the Brexit Party?

Yes.

http://theworldforgotten.com/showthr...l=1#post207070

It was between that and spoiling my ballot but I did it as a protest vote.

Given my intense dislike for May and how she was taking the country, and I still believe in Brexit, how else was I supposed to vote? It was the only non-racist non-Tory pro-Brexit option on the ballot. I looked into all the alternatives but they were all worse.

A manifesto is paramount. We need them to hold people to account. How could you have possibly considered giving them your vote if you can't hold them to account?

Yes, Corbyn and May are better because they were elected. For someone who wanted more democracy and sovereignty I'm again in shock as to why you'd vote for a party with an unelected leader who can't be replaced, and who's funding sources are kept secret.

You talk about "respecting democracy" (what a load of shite); yet you literally voted for people who, if they were competent to be in parliament, would have not voted for Brexit to happen anyway. They never would have voted for the withdrawal agreement.

And don't go trying to defend Farage on racism. He stood in front of that "breaking point" poster. So in asking me who to vote for - literally fucking anyone other than the fucking Brexit Party. Have some principles and spoil the ballet if you have to.

What the hell is wrong with you? Is it all just a big silly joke to you now?

I've often disagreed with you but I've always respected you. Until now. I never thought you'd throw everything I thought you stood for out of the window to vote for the joke that is Farage and his circus.

What manifesto would matter? Whoever we elect won't control the EU or EU Parliament so any proposed manifesto is utterly moot. Plus if we Brexit whoever we elect is immediately made redundant so by voting Brexit Party you are voting to say that we shouldn't have MEPs so why should they have a manifesto?

The Withdrawal Agreement was crap. It should never have been signed and I'm glad its dead. I opposed it too. Hopefully the new PM says the deal is dead and we either get a new one (without a backstop) or we leave without one. If not, then I doubt I'll vote Tory in the next General Election.

I despise the "Breaking Point" poster but that was not a part of this election or the Brexit Party campaign. Please point me to anything the Brexit Party put out that was racist. Absolutely anything.

I didn't vote for Farage. If we Brexit then Farage is not an MEP. That I am happy to vote for. I voted for a concept not a man.

That fact that you think there's a distinction between Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party is perhaps the most shocking and at the same time disappointing thing of all.

Farage is the Brexit Party; the Brexit Party is Farage.

Yes the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit 3 years ago were all Farage.
    The dozens of MEPs elected for Brexit party are all Farage.
    The dozens of people in ads for the Brexit party were all Farage.
    The tens or hundreds of thousands of people campaigning for the Brexit party were all Farage.
    The 5.25 million people who voted Brexit Party were all Farage.
    We are all Farage.

I'm Spartacus Farage. Or not.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's a sharp fall for somebody who was not long ago was lambasting UKIP and the BNP. I guess your true colours are laid bare.

Hopefully the new PM says the deal is dead and we either get a new one (without a backstop) or we leave without one.
    Leaving without a deal without another referendum would be undemocratic. Neither leave campaign campaigned on leaving without a deal and, in fact, aware that they'd have no chance of offering such a thing, were quite adamant that such a thing would never happen. Insisting that the referendum was a one time thing with no take backies allowed while simultaneously trying to turn Brexit into something that was never offered to voters is perhaps the biggest pile of bait and switch bullshit in existence.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's a sharp fall for somebody who was not long ago was lambasting UKIP and the BNP. I guess your true colours are laid bare.
    I lambasted UKIP and BNP for being racist. Brexit Party isn't racist. Please show me even 1 racist Brexit Party advert, policy or poster.

The previous leader of the Brexit Party had to resign because she was too overtly racist. To replace her, they chose a man who is slightly less overtly racist, a man who is in a very real sense the face of mainstreamed racism in the UK. As protests go, voting for BP is pretty dumb: if the UK leaves the EU in October, your protest means nothing; if it leaves later or not at all, your vote will contribute to greater political dysfunction at the EU but also, and more importantly, to increasing the influence of far right groups--the protest equivalent of shitting your own bed or cutting off your nose to spite your face. I recognize the phony rationale you've presented here, and I laughed at your confession because I had no real doubt you'd easily persuade yourself to vote BP--it's very reminiscent of the way you previously rationalized furthering the repugnant xenophobic agenda of ethno-nationalists and other English racists. Carrying water for racists gets easier and easier for every time you do it.

I'm glad racists are expelled from the Brexit Party, that's a difference between it and UKIP and why I could never vote for UKIP.

Don't forget this was a pathetic MEP election that should never have happened, not a proper election.

If the UK leaves the EU in October then mission accomplished and it doesn't matter who we voted for as all our MEPs are instantly made redundant.

If it leaves later or never at all then I couldn't give a flying fuck about political dysfunction at the EU, we should have left.

The Brexit Party is not a far right group and the idea that their influence is increased when I voted against all the far-right groups standing is a non-sequitur.

So what's the problem? Who else should I have voted for? Should I have voted to endorse Theresa May?

There were multiple far-right options on the ballot paper in my region (North West). There was Gerrard Batten's UKIP which has transformed into an anti-Islam BNP. There was Tommy Robinson. Interestingly even on the European level UKIP are associated with far right parties across the continent like the French National Rally (formerly National Front), the Dutch PVV and the Austrian Freedom Party. My vote helped to ensure they won ZERO MEPs to represent the country. The Dutch and French etc did elect those MEPs so maybe concentrate on where real problems are.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-03-2019 at 12:45 AM.