Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chilling Orwellianism at NYU

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...180416296.html

People like her (and particularly the professors supporting her, who really should know better) really makes it hard to defend academia.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Interesting. Wonder what the natural distribution is at that uni.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Does it matter? For starters, I'm guessing at least half the students are female. And if you have a class with 1 non-white student, are you really doing anyone a favor by constantly calling on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...180416296.html

People like her (and particularly the professors supporting her, who really should know better) really makes it hard to defend academia.
    Now if it was specific to that kind of class, as an experiential way to highlight the impact of privilege as implicitly addressed in the class material, I could almost applaud it as a teaching mechanism. But just as general policy? No.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Now if it was specific to that kind of class, as an experiential way to highlight the impact of privilege as implicitly addressed in the class material, I could almost applaud it as a teaching mechanism. But just as general policy? No.
    Unique to that class or not, it clearly breaks numerous anti-discrimination statutes.

Incidentally, I've heard the opposite complaint, that using the sole black person in the classroom to represent the "black perspective" is a micro-aggression.

Did...did this guy just compare free speech to physical rape?

http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion...-speech-rules/

...it became apparent that Columbia adopts a narrow conception of free speech that ignores the violent physicality of hate speech: Lips move, sound travels, and words penetrate.
    This guy is an adjunct at the law school? Also, not to get weird, but he refers to "we as black bodies" but...he...seems like he may be more African than Black African? Eh, I hate that I'm falling into the intersectionalist trap of looking at this guy's ethnicity in the first place, but he brought it up.

If I didn't know better, I'd say people were manufacturing threats just to keep themselves relevant (and I don't know better).

There've been so many examples of conservative snowflakes trying to silence dissent from the left on US campuses, but this one was especially embarrassing:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tanford-emails

What a bunch of dumbasses.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates