Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
Sorry, dude, but I don't put any value in hate speech. And I don't care too much about the "Free speech trumps all" notion.

If you want to gas Jews you don't deserve a public podium. Period.

This "free speech" notion is exactly the reason why the right-wingers are on the rise once again - they're allowed to lie and give voice to atrocities. Nope. Not having it. As soon as as you openly and consciously spout forth hate speech and lies, you lose your right to an open podium.
You use the term "hate speech" far too liberally. Saying something offensive isn't hate speech. Saying something that doesn't take the experiences of certain groups into account isn't hate speech. Making shit up isn't hate speech. And yet that's the kind of speech that people are trying to restrict.

If anything, the attempt to suppress speech is what leads to the rise of populism, when new politicians can attack the establishment for suppressing traditional views.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
Coulter cites statistics when she talks about negative outcomes of single motherhood. If you love children you should discourage people from doing things that contribute to poorer life outcomes for them. That's offensive to some people so the facts about it don't get out. She sheds light on it.

Furthermore you don't seem to understand that an argument cannot rest solely on facts. Facts are CRITICAL to 'winning' the debate or pushing forward your perspective however if it is just dry facts you will have no audience. Humor, interesting stories, personalizing the situation with the audience are all things people do to get and then maintain attention. I've read the Road to Serfdom and I've read Coulter, Hayek is boring as shit even though I pretty much agree with his ideas. How you present information is massively important. The idea that college shouldn't talk about the very real way people discuss and promote ideas is absurd. Academia should prepare people for the real world, and in the real world that is a big deal.
She cites them grossly out of context and conveniently leaves out data that contradicts her neat narrative, something any reasonably informed person would spot. Of course her audience aren't the reasonably informed. As for her arguments being persuasive: to who? She preaches to the converted. Universities aren't the places to learn how to be deceitful; plenty of other places to pick up that skill.