Thread: Dark Brandon is coming for your patents

Default Dark Brandon is coming for your patents

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The lawsuits will probably get to the Supreme Court and get resolved long after Biden leaves office.

If the government wants to reap financial windfall (or discounts) from basic government research, it should put those conditions upfront. These people don't get basic economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    The lawsuits will probably get to the Supreme Court and get resolved long after Biden leaves office.

If the government wants to reap financial windfall (or discounts) from basic government research, it should put those conditions upfront. These people don't get basic economics.
    By "these people" you mean the corporate officers in pharma companies, like Shkreli?

They made their bed, Dread, and it hasn't been about the true costs of funding pharma research for a while. It's about competition with the vertically-integrating insurance companies for the juiciest marrow
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm honestly surprised they're going for it. I don't think this admin would pursue something like this unless they have an acceptable fallback plan, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'm honestly surprised they're going for it. I don't think this admin would pursue something like this unless they have an acceptable fallback plan, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Here's the thing. They're not actually going for it. This is just threatening. "I'mma reach for this here stick if you don't behave. Don't test me, I'mma do it. It's in my reach. All I gotta do is grab it if you don't behave. Boy, it'll smart so bad if you make me do it. See how big that stick is? I can grab it any time I want if you test me. . .
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    By "these people" you mean the corporate officers in pharma companies, like Shkreli?

They made their bed, Dread, and it hasn't been about the true costs of funding pharma research for a while. It's about competition with the vertically-integrating insurance companies for the juiciest marrow
    Do you really think Shkreli really has anything to do with government research?

Not a bit. Shkreli's companies never developed any new drugs, they just acquired drugs others developed. Shkreli's business model with the two pharma companies he started was to buy an uncommon drug, keep supply restricted and jack up the price. He talked a good game about developing drugs for rare diseases and conditions but that's all it was. He was always a financial gouger and a conman. If any of those acquired rights had been developed with federal funding help, they'd be perfect candidates for march-in rights because the patent-holder is not fully following through on bringing their patent to the public.

Okay, but we both know that's not what the Biden admin is really targeting. They want to use march-in rights as a cudgel to secure favorable pricing.

Wait, I thought you wanted to cut government spending? Or is that only when poor people bear the brunt of the cut?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Okay, but we both know that's not what the Biden admin is really targeting. They want to use march-in rights as a cudgel to secure favorable pricing.
    If by "secure favorable pricing" you mean "stop the reign of horrific profiteering and price-gouging, far in excess of cost of development and production" then yes. It was schemes like Shkreli's, and the ridiculously inflated prices for insulin that prompting Congress to enact direct price controls, that led us here, Dread.