Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Chilling Orwellianism at NYU

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

heartwarming:

While I generally don't think this is a good thing, there is some nuance to this story that brings up some good questions regarding who is a journalist and the equitability of the government deciding who is a journalist. I'd prefer if they simply set some objective criteria, EG "these benches are reserved for publications whose print, online, e-mail or radio/podcast audience can be verified as larger than X". Generally some form of press are allowed on state legislative floors, but it really varies from state to state (including variation from legislatures controlled by various parties).

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...es/9129933002/
    Iowa Senate won't allow journalists to work in chamber, in shift from longstanding practice

Stephen Gruber-Miller
    Des Moines Register

Republican leaders in the Iowa Senate will no longer allow journalists to work at press benches in the Senate chamber, ending a tradition that has lasted more than a century.

The GOP-majority Iowa Senate has control over who is allowed into the Senate chamber. Its longstanding practice has been to allow reporters, photographers and multimedia journalists to work at press benches along the front wall of the chamber, facing senators' desks.

The setup allows a clear view of legislative debate in the Senate chamber and gives reporters access to senators who can answer questions and clarify their positions.

This year, journalists will be seated in the public gallery on an upper level, without access to the Senate floor. Senate Republican spokesperson Caleb Hunter said in an email that the Senate struggled with "the evolving nature and definition of 'media'" when considering journalists' access to the chamber.

"As non-traditional media outlets proliferate, it creates an increasingly difficult scenario for the Senate, as a governmental entity, to define the criteria of a media outlet," he wrote.

Press groups, including the Iowa Capitol Press Association, Iowa Broadcast News Association and Iowa Freedom of Information Council, criticized the decision.

In a statement, the officers of the Iowa Capitol Press Association said they were "extremely disappointed" in the Senate's decision to move reporters out of the chamber and they hope leaders reconsider the change.

"Having real-time access to lawmakers allows reporters to provide important clarification, context and additional information to the public," said President Erin Murphy, Vice President Kathie Obradovich and Secretary Katarina Sostaric.

"Lawmakers who have real-time access to reporters can pass along news that might not otherwise be reported, and also hold journalists accountable for errors or unclear information in stories," they said in the statement. "Putting reporters in the upstairs galleries puts up new barriers to this process, and makes it more difficult for reporters to serve as the eyes and ears of the public."

The Des Moines Register's statehouse reporters are members of the association, which advocates for transparency and access to government and good working conditions for reporters.

Both the Iowa House and Senate moved journalists and some legislative staff out of their respective chambers as a safety measure when the COVID-19 pandemic began, but the House this year has reinstated a policy of allowing journalists to apply for credentials to be seated at press desks on the House floor.

Media access to legislative chambers varies in statehouses around the country, but the majority of states allow reporters to work in their legislative chambers, usually in designated areas, like Iowa's press benches. Only about half a dozen states did not allow statehouse reporters access to the House and Senate floor as of 2019, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Randy Evans, executive director of the Iowa Freedom of Information Council, to which the Register belongs, said "all Iowans should be troubled" by Senate leaders' decision to move the press upstairs to the public gallery.

"Barring journalists from access to the floor of the Senate chamber does not continue Iowa’s long and proud tradition of transparency that is a foundation of our democracy," Evans said in a statement. "The Iowa Freedom of Information Council encourages Iowa Senate leaders to reconsider their hasty decision and once again provide Statehouse reporters with space on the 'press bench.'"

Hunter said the 2022 legislative session would be transparent, despite the change in media seating.

"All subcommittees will be available online and in person, so Iowans from across the state can have input into the legislative process in the Senate," he said in an email. "All committees and floor action will also be available online."

It probably is retaliatory but since they're not barring press coverage but merely telling the press they have to go sit/stand in the public area with everyone else rather than keeping a privileged place on the floor, I'm not terribly concerned.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/us/fl...ill/index.html

The FUCK YOUR FEELINGS crowd now needs a law to protect their racist feelings. Silence and ignorance was always the point of the fake CRT outrage.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Does this mean women can now sue anyone opposed to abortion (because it makes them feel uncomfortable)?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I was thinking about it being used to go after the silly "heritage not hate" idea but abortion and abstinence only education are good targets too
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

My system was at one point banned from doing LGBTQ+ displays because of a fundie asshole councilperson. County residents got so fed up with her bullshit they voted to replace her with a councilperson who was openly gay. We made our libraries so damn gay when he revoked her previous directives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    My system was at one point banned from doing LGBTQ+ displays because of a fundie asshole councilperson. County residents got so fed up with her bullshit they voted to replace her with a councilperson who was openly gay. We made our libraries so damn gay when he revoked her previous directives.
    Now that's what I call a legacy

Funny how the Lewks of the world aren't outraged over this: https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ights-13323971

If it was in fact his statements about masks and statues then it is BS he was not renewed.

Can anyone please verify or debunk this? It sounds a bit *clears throat* *pause for effect* Orwellian

We'd have to consult the Brits. Not only is Orwell one of theirs, they're also the acknowledged experts on omnipresent video-surveillance.

Monitoring the teachers this way is almost certainly legal here, even with the giving parents access as gross as that seems. A classroom is not an area with a "reasonable expectation of privacy" because you're there to share with a group of students in an open manner anyway. I'm not as certain about monitoring that necessarily also includes the students. They're compelled to be there which means there's no argument that they can waive a right to privacy, but they're minors which means they have diminished rights.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Can anyone please verify or debunk this? It sounds a bit *clears throat* *pause for effect* Orwellian

Man even 15+ years ago half of my professors in college had their lectures video-taped. The camera wouldn't be on the kids it would be on the teacher. I really don't get why there would be concerns about oversight of what teachers are doing with children in their classroom.

Why am I not surprised that you'd support a policy borrowed from 1984 while fixating on non-existent slights against people who look like you?

I can guarantee that if I could get fired for pissing off some partisan hack of a politician, I would not willingly allow my lectures to be recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Why am I not surprised that you'd support a policy borrowed from 1984 while fixating on non-existent slights against people who look like you?

I can guarantee that if I could get fired for pissing off some partisan hack of a politician, I would not willingly allow my lectures to be recorded.
    Given that many areas have remote learning, how exactly would those individuals stop a student from recording?

Chilling Orwellianism:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07...s-dan-patrick/

imagine being identified in the Texas Tribune as a snitch for Dan Patrick in your first year of med-school
    Last edited by Aimless; 07-25-2023 at 01:19 PM.

I'm sure all the "free speech absolutists" will be rushing to this professor's defense.

Because no one should be allowed publicly criticize an elected official. That's undemocratic!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Because no one should be allowed publicly criticize an elected official. That's undemocratic!
    are you gonna snark or are you gonna cash in with a "dan patrick has a huge dick" lecture series

Chilling Orwellianism at Harvard:

https://theintercept.com/2023/11/21/...w-gaza-israel/

I'm sure all the free speech absolutists will condemn this.

Looks like Dread's getting his money's worth from the Party of Free Speech

It's almost like people should stop hyperbolically accusing each other of treason.

are you high

Are you not?

We've entered the age of assuming bad faith in everyone. We are where we are.

So hit me up with some gummies.