Thread: Chilling Orwellianism at NYU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Debate means providing a well-reasoned argument. Coulter is thoroughly incapable of doing so (even if she wanted to, which she doesn't). There are plenty of conservatives who can make similar arguments without trolling, and all while providing serious evidence.

I don't think Maher contributes anything either. The purpose of universities is to help students develop analytical skills. Listening to professional trolls doesn't help in that mission. All it does it anger one side, which we know stifles debate. So should public colleges ban them? No. Have they ever contributed to a serious debate? No.
    Coulter cites statistics when she talks about negative outcomes of single motherhood. If you love children you should discourage people from doing things that contribute to poorer life outcomes for them. That's offensive to some people so the facts about it don't get out. She sheds light on it.

Furthermore you don't seem to understand that an argument cannot rest solely on facts. Facts are CRITICAL to 'winning' the debate or pushing forward your perspective however if it is just dry facts you will have no audience. Humor, interesting stories, personalizing the situation with the audience are all things people do to get and then maintain attention. I've read the Road to Serfdom and I've read Coulter, Hayek is boring as shit even though I pretty much agree with his ideas. How you present information is massively important. The idea that college shouldn't talk about the very real way people discuss and promote ideas is absurd. Academia should prepare people for the real world, and in the real world that is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Furthermore you don't seem to understand that an argument cannot rest solely on facts. Facts are CRITICAL to 'winning' the debate or pushing forward your perspective however if it is just dry facts you will have no audience. Humor, interesting stories, personalizing the situation with the audience are all things people do to get and then maintain attention. I've read the Road to Serfdom and I've read Coulter, Hayek is boring as shit even though I pretty much agree with his ideas. How you present information is massively important. The idea that college shouldn't talk about the very real way people discuss and promote ideas is absurd. Academia should prepare people for the real world, and in the real world that is a big deal.
    You realize you just echoed the argument of quoted article, right?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"