Thread: Best way to enjoy Amsterdam in August?

Default Best way to enjoy Amsterdam in August?

We're thinking of staying in Amsterdam for a few days on our way back from London. I've never been there and my wife hasn't been there since she was a kid, so I was wondering if any of our resident Dutchies may have some advice or tips We like chill urban environments close to green areas and water, flavorful food and fun places to hang out. We generally dislike things that require a great deal of advance planning or queuing. Where do locals in Amsterdam like to spend a nice summer day on a weekend? What areas offer a large variety of good food and entertainment at reasonable value? Are there any good comedy clubs for non-Dutchies? What's overrated and what should be avoided outright? Any and all help v much appreciated.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Love Amsterdam. Last time we were there it did nothing but piss down with rain for the three days we were visiting, so I seem to remember spending much of the time in cafes and bars watching Dutchie life amble past us. I also seem to remember getting hideously drunk on Kwak.

Also, bicycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    "Scientists raise alarm: bananas can cause EU"

Hookers & weed, of course!

Will post more things to do there later
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I'm told the red light district has some of the nicest, cosiest streets
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

The problem with those streets is that too many tourists go there, so it's basically wall to wall people wanting to sniff in some of the o-la-la atmosphere. Amongst other things; try to visit the Royal Palace (Or as I would say the Old City Hall). If you like to visit museums take one of those Amsterdam cards; it's worth it, but only then. If you're not too much into museums the multi-hour GVB card can be still very much worthwhile. Don't rent a bike, because then I'd have to hate you till the end of your days. Taste all the cheese you like at those silly touristic cheese places, but buy at regular supermarkets (Albert Heijn).
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

If one rented a bike, can you get it on the train to a ferry to one of those barrier islands? Or just get to the island by ferry and there's a place to get bikes there?

I'd think you can do both. Though you can't bring a bike on the train during rush hour unless it's a folding one.

I second the recommendation of the royal palace. It's nice and the line was non existent when I visited. I should marry some princess so I can stay there when I visit Amsterdam
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!