Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terror attack in Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I do not disagree, but I do think we should consider options which are more extreme than what we allow ourselves right now, we don't have to switch from white to black without making some exploration of the gray in the middle impossible. That would imply that we curtail the possiblities of the courts to almost summarily discard such gray choices because they aren't white.

Practically? I could think of forbidding certain flows of capital from/to extremists, especially if they advocate a type of society that is only possible on the wholesale destruction of basic freedoms of everybody. Make it possible to forbid access to the internet for people who adhere to such an ideology. Put those who still abuse the internet behind bars for no other reason than that they used the internet for the spreading of an ideology incompatible with our way of life. Make it illegal to travel to parts of the world that are under the control of terrorist organizations and make it illegal to sponsor in any way travel to those parts.

Yes, all these have the risk of being abused by an ill-willing government, but they could also just turn out to be exactly what they are intended as; a way to disrupt their networks as much as we can.
    So I think we already have a lot of terrorism financing laws - certainly the US has gone after places like the Holy Land Foundation and the like and we also go after international networks using the US banking system's reach. As for forbidding internet use, you'd have to charge them with a crime, but I imagine that it's possible to tweak a hate speech statute to limit their access to, and ability to promulgate, extremist material. That's awfully hard to enforce, though, and is likely to be only marginally effective. Imprisoning people seems likely to only yield further radicalization in jail. And lastly, most of the people who have traveled e.g. to fight with IS in Syria have been flying through Turkey. It's not like we can suddenly make travel to Turkey off-limits; again, I find this suggestion hard to enforce.

I don't disagree that we should be going after financing networks, propaganda outlets, and training/recruitment (which essentially are what your suggestions boil down to), but I think we already do most of the things that are likely to be effective in this arena (and a lot of things that are less likely to be effective). It's possible that things are different in some European countries; I just don't know.

I wish someone would tell the whore fucking father of that failed abortion that his fuckwad killed two dozen innocent people and that he can take that on his consience because of the useless piece of crap he's been raising him. They are exactly that kind of people.
    Do you have any evidence to this effect? I haven't been looking into it in any depth, so maybe you do. But isn't it entirely possible that he was radicalized despite, rather than because, of his parents?
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    So I think we already have a lot of terrorism financing laws - certainly the US has gone after places like the Holy Land Foundation and the like and we also go after international networks using the US banking system's reach. As for forbidding internet use, you'd have to charge them with a crime, but I imagine that it's possible to tweak a hate speech statute to limit their access to, and ability to promulgate, extremist material. That's awfully hard to enforce, though, and is likely to be only marginally effective. Imprisoning people seems likely to only yield further radicalization in jail. And lastly, most of the people who have traveled e.g. to fight with IS in Syria have been flying through Turkey. It's not like we can suddenly make travel to Turkey off-limits; again, I find this suggestion hard to enforce.

I don't disagree that we should be going after financing networks, propaganda outlets, and training/recruitment (which essentially are what your suggestions boil down to), but I think we already do most of the things that are likely to be effective in this arena (and a lot of things that are less likely to be effective). It's possible that things are different in some European countries; I just don't know.

Do you have any evidence to this effect? I haven't been looking into it in any depth, so maybe you do. But isn't it entirely possible that he was radicalized despite, rather than because, of his parents?
    Hard to enforce maybe, but we should be able to use these harsh measures, which still may not stop them, but at least make doing their business significantly harder. Imprisonment doesn't have to lead to radicalization if you break up groups as they form. I am also not just talking about financing of terrorism only but also about foreign sponsored extremism.
    Sure enough, one can do nothing out of principle or because it may not work perfectly. But that is what gets you a couple of dozens of dead children every now and then.

The reaction about the father was that the asswipe claimed innocence for his son. As they were still scraping the remains of the victims off that wonderful innocent creature from the walls in Manchester.
    Congratulations America

Quite upsetting just reading about the victims who've been named (many the same names read out previously as missing that family were looking for info for). One a schoolgirl from a small village I briefly worked in. Another an eight year old girl from a tiny village a couple of miles from here. This just feels so close to home. I'd been to the MEN many times before, my parents had been there last week. Yesterday in the pub it was the only thing anyone wanted to talk about - I spoke to one supplier on the phone to place a drinks order and got to talking and she said she had a friend who'd been at the concert (thankfully she already knew her friend was OK).

Terrorism is one of those things that always seems so distant and unlikely unless you live in a big city, though coming from a town synonymous with an IRA bomb in 93 I've always known it could strike at home ... it just doesn't seem likely. At the end of the Troubles this seemed like something we'd put behind us, even with the trouble in Paris and elsewhere lately apart from the 7/7 attack in London there's a false sense of security in it being "over there". This just makes it feel more real again.

Blowing up school children, whether its for your political cause that you blow up a school child and a pre schooler on Mother's Day, or children attending a Nickelodeon star's pop concert for your warped god, is sick no matter how you slice it. Bastards the lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So I think we already have a lot of terrorism financing laws - certainly the US has gone after places like the Holy Land Foundation and the like and we also go after international networks using the US banking system's reach.
    Indeed. My work at the global bank where I am employed is in financial crime. Terrorist financing is a proportion of that. International banking regulation enforces fairly strict adherence to the implementation of extensive detection and reporting measures, from the financial movements of known individuals, irregular payment patterns from higher-risk geographies, right up to the transactions of governments and politically-exposed organisations, amongst various other weird and wonderful methods for picking out suspicious needles from the big banking haystack.

This work at worst restricts the financial activities of such folk, and at best puts them behind bars.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 05-25-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Quite upsetting just reading about the victims who've been named (many the same names read out previously as missing that family were looking for info for). One a schoolgirl from a small village I briefly worked in. Another an eight year old girl from a tiny village a couple of miles from here. This just feels so close to home. I'd been to the MEN many times before, my parents had been there last week. Yesterday in the pub it was the only thing anyone wanted to talk about - I spoke to one supplier on the phone to place a drinks order and got to talking and she said she had a friend who'd been at the concert (thankfully she already knew her friend was OK).

Terrorism is one of those things that always seems so distant and unlikely unless you live in a big city, though coming from a town synonymous with an IRA bomb in 93 I've always known it could strike at home ... it just doesn't seem likely. At the end of the Troubles this seemed like something we'd put behind us, even with the trouble in Paris and elsewhere lately apart from the 7/7 attack in London there's a false sense of security in it being "over there". This just makes it feel more real again.

Blowing up school children, whether its for your political cause that you blow up a school child and a pre schooler on Mother's Day, or children attending a Nickelodeon star's pop concert for your warped god, is sick no matter how you slice it. Bastards the lot of them.
    It is heart-rending looking through the pictures in the paper this morning and reading snippets of stories of those affected.

Not so sure about it feeling 'distant' though. Being in London, there is always a slight shadow in the background. Working between the City and Canary Wharf particularly, where armed police man the Ring of Steel, vehicular movements are limited by security checkpoints, armed police presence in train stations where I commute, constant warnings on public transport to be vigilant; never leave your bags unattended and report anything suspicious immediately. There is a sense of resigned wariness in Londoners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Yeah I was specifically not counting London when I said unless you live in a big city. But you don't get any of that stuff in Preston or Warrington.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Hard to enforce maybe, but we should be able to use these harsh measures, which still may not stop them, but at least make doing their business significantly harder. Imprisonment doesn't have to lead to radicalization if you break up groups as they form. I am also not just talking about financing of terrorism only but also about foreign sponsored extremism.
    Sure enough, one can do nothing out of principle or because it may not work perfectly. But that is what gets you a couple of dozens of dead children every now and then.

The reaction about the father was that the asswipe claimed innocence for his son. As they were still scraping the remains of the victims off that wonderful innocent creature from the walls in Manchester.
    When you're discussion 'foreign sponsored extremism' I assume you mean e.g. Saudi-funded Wahhabi stuff and the like? I think it's a little hard to go after them unless they're advocating violence. Conservative views - even ones anathema to most Westerners - are not in themselves a crime IMO. I think that whatever we end up doing, we're still going to end up with attacks getting through. It's just a fact of life. We can work to prevent it as much as possible, but there is certainly a point of diminishing returns here, where a given compromise of our values on e.g. free speech or due process or free exercise will not yield a substantial improvement in security. There is a reasonable debate to be had about where we draw that line, but I think it's important that we recognize that no security is perfect and that such terrorism - awful as it is - is not, in the grand scheme of things, a particularly big problem.

Even the deadliest and most sophisticated terror attack in living memory, while shocking, had a relatively modest direct effect on the United States. The effect on our policy stance, both foreign and domestic, as well as the effect on our psychology and the issues of import to the electorate changed dramatically. But the attack itself killed about as many people as are normally murdered in the country in a couple months, and the direct cost was on the order of $100 billion. That's a big deal, no question, but it doesn't really move the needle when evaluated in context. And most terrorism is far less sophisticated and causes far less mayhem/costs/casualties. It's tragic, yes, but so are car accidents - which kill about 30k people in the US every year, often children. To upend our entire society to defend against this one threat seems unwarranted. We should adopt a careful, thoughtful response that is commensurate with the threat but doesn't bow to hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Indeed. My work at the global bank where I am employed is in financial crime. Terrorist financing is a proportion of that. International banking regulation enforces fairly strict adherence to the implementation of extensive detection and reporting measures, from the financial movements of known individuals, irregular payment patterns from higher-risk geographies, right up to the transactions of governments and politically-exposed organisations, amongst various other weird and wonderful methods for picking out suspicious needles from the big banking haystack.

This work at worst restricts the financial activities of such folk, and at best puts them behind bars.
    Quite. It's my understanding that this is one of the big ways we are able to go after their operations.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I don't care if 'it's a little hard'. I want it to be done. Also am I not foolish enough to think that we can stop all terrorist activity. But I want maximal disruption of their networks even if that makes civil rights advocates a bit nervous.
    Congratulations America

I don't care if 'it's a little hard'. I want it to be done. Also am I not foolish enough to think that we can stop all terrorist activity. But I want maximal disruption of their networks even if that makes civil rights advocates a bit nervous.
    I didn't mean 'it's a little hard' in that it's politically challenging to make happen. I mean it's a little hard to justify limiting non-violent speech and non-violent religious teachings. It is also challenging from a legal perspective; the free exercise and free speech clauses in the US Constitution are hard to circumvent without pretty compelling cases. I also think that what you suggest could easily be construed as an attack on Islam in general which is almost certain to have serious unintended consequences, and may do little to stem recruitment (it may even encourage it).

This may be a matter of differing perspectives; I come from an American tradition that places a very high premium on both free speech and the free exercise of religion. Due to the US' unique history this is not surprising, but I think it's an appropriate stance. I am aware that most other Western countries have somewhat more relaxed approaches to restrictions on free speech and do not have long traditions embracing the free exercise of religion; it may be that in such contexts what you suggest may be more acceptable.

In several countries you wouldn't even need to implement particularly "harsh" measures. I don't know how things are in the Netherlands, but, in Sweden, there are many voluntary associations whose activities are partly or largely funded by government grants. Sweden has a long and proud tradition of supporting these associations and they have certainly enriched our country, but, unsurprisingly, religious groups have exploited the laws to get grants that they have then used to spread fundamentalist religious beliefs, including inviting and paying extremist preachers and supporting a number of mosques that have been implicated in the recruitment and grooming of jihadists. There is not a single young immigrant in Sweden who doesn't know or know of a person who was snared by one of those associations at a young age. There is no principal reason why primarily religious associations could not be denied grants across the board on the grounds that the govt. of a secular country should not support religious associations with public funds.

Sweden also has a growing number of religious charter schools that are paid for by taxpayers, frequently by other taxpayers than the ones whose children attend those schools. The state could easily declare that the funding of these schools runs counter to the secularism enshrined in Swedish law as well as to the core values of the Swedish school system.

Authorities responsible for national security are aware of a growing number of returning jihadists and other fighters at risk of radicalization. The govt. could make it illegal for Swedish citizens to fight in wars on behalf of another state or a non-state actor, based on Sweden's policy of neutrality if nothing else.

It is frequently asserted, in US media for example, that Europe has a problematic attitude to freedom of speech. What's ironic is that one of the reasons for western Europe's difficulties with stemming the spread of militant Muslim extremism are the strong protections against laws and other measures that can be construed as restricting the freedom of speech, opinion or religious beliefs of citizens. But European countries could do a lot more without violating established European norms for those protections. My preference has always been for preventive measures that help steer vulnerable people away from radicalization, but for such strategies to have any hope of success you have to also implement other measures that curtail the spread of the disease.

I disagree wholeheartedly with Wiggin's estimation of the costs of terrorist attacks in the West. The direct costs may be comparatively small in terms of lives lost and material damage done--at least from an American perspective--but there is a great societal cost in the form of growing distrust of and outright hatred towards non-white minorities. Every attack broadens the gulf between the majority population and most non-white immigrant communities, and the cost of that societal division may have to be paid for decades. We can do a lot more to tackle these problems without sacrificing our way of life.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

This may already be happening but I think countries should invest in essentially entrapment efforts. Get into the communities try to convince people to help in a bombing/terrorist attack and then throw them in prison forever.

The US has tried that several times. The agents end up getting reported by the community and, because they are agents, aren't acted against so it drives a wedge between law enforcement and the community. Or the agents go after the low hanging fruit and target the mentally handicapped and lead them into a mess they wouldn't have been able to get into on their own.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Most of all we should get rid of the atheist and Christian lovey-dovey's trying to explain how this is is not a Muslim problem. I think it's very much a Muslim problem if Islam is so easily turned into a cult of death.
    Congratulations America

Most of all we should get rid of the atheist and Christian lovey-dovey's trying to explain how this is is not a Muslim problem. I think it's very much a Muslim problem if Islam is so easily turned into a cult of death.
    Have you not seen how Buddhism is used in Myanmar? Or Hinduism in India? Or Christianity in the Balkans?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Have you not seen how Buddhism is used in Myanmar? Or Hinduism in India? Or Christianity in the Balkans?
    Your point being? Is any of those extremisms exported all over the world with the help of an extremely rich theocratic regime? I suggest you view the episode 'religion' of the Netflix series 'Master of none'; then realize how much I admire him for implying that the real-life Aziz Ansari is eating pork and thinks it's ok to do that and not fast while still thinking of himself as a muslim. Or how much I expect 93% of moroccan origin dutch citizens to say they are fasting during Ramadan (I can assure you, that is a prime example of socially desirable answering). By bringing up Myanmar, India and the Balkans you are only showing you have no idea at all what you are up against. The only bigger mistake than the one you made would have been bringing up how violent Christianity used to be. None of that is relevant.
    Congratulations America

Loki, I'm ashamed of you. None of those are going to be in a position where their adherents might target Hazir. And isn't that what matters when considering whether we should be deconstructing our civil societies?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Interesting to note that those brands of violent extremism tend to remain local rather than being globally exported. There are plenty of disgusting nationalist trolls among expats from all those countries, but they don't tend to engage in activities that amount to terrorism. I don't entirely agree with Hazir, and I think your examples discredit to some extent the notion that Islam as a religion is inherently different from other ideologies wrt its ability to breed terrorists, but I don't know if your examples make a compelling case against violent Islamism being a "Muslim problem". If nothing else, it's a "Muslim problem" for all practical purposes. Muslims suffer most of the direct as well as the indirect consequences, being the most common targets of both terrorism and suspicion.

I don't think that Islam itself is necessarily the problem, but we've allowed the most extremist sect in it to become dominant to the point that moderates are on the defensive to the point of extinction. And relativism by outsiders only make things worse. We don't need people to tell us that Islamist extremism isn't so bad because Christians sacked Jerusalem a thousand years ago. We need people protecting the rights of moderates to shape their own lives.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Loki, I'm ashamed of you. None of those are going to be in a position where their adherents might target Hazir. And isn't that what matters when considering whether we should be deconstructing our civil societies?
    Well ... yes.

Your point being? Is any of those extremisms exported all over the world with the help of an extremely rich theocratic regime? I suggest you view the episode 'religion' of the Netflix series 'Master of none'; then realize how much I admire him for implying that the real-life Aziz Ansari is eating pork and thinks it's ok to do that and not fast while still thinking of himself as a muslim. Or how much I expect 93% of moroccan origin dutch citizens to say they are fasting during Ramadan (I can assure you, that is a prime example of socially desirable answering). By bringing up Myanmar, India and the Balkans you are only showing you have no idea at all what you are up against. The only bigger mistake than the one you made would have been bringing up how violent Christianity used to be. None of that is relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Interesting to note that those brands of violent extremism tend to remain local rather than being globally exported. There are plenty of disgusting nationalist trolls among expats from all those countries, but they don't tend to engage in activities that amount to terrorism. I don't entirely agree with Hazir, and I think your examples discredit to some extent the notion that Islam as a religion is inherently different from other ideologies wrt its ability to breed terrorists, but I don't know if your examples make a compelling case against violent Islamism being a "Muslim problem". If nothing else, it's a "Muslim problem" for all practical purposes. Muslims suffer most of the direct as well as the indirect consequences, being the most common targets of both terrorism and suspicion.
    It's interesting that you mention the Saudi regime. That regime has killed far more people by bombing Yemen than ISIS has anywhere outside of Syria and Iraq. Russian bombing of Syria has killed about as many civilians as ISIS (including in Syria and Iraq). Russia is also responsible for 10k+ dead in Ukraine and the ethnic cleansing of 300k in Georgia. Various Congolese militias (and government officials) are responsible for millions dead in that country. So your concern isn't really the loss of life but the loss of Western lives (which is a fair enough point, but let's not paint it in any kind of moralistic language).

The next issue is whether Islamism is particularly violent outside of its own borders. To even begin to answer this in the affirmative, we'd have to ignore all the countries that provoke and fund civil wars that kill hundreds of thousands.

Which is to say your main issue is with non-state actors. That's a pretty selective way of looking at things considering that there are no powerful Muslim countries. While Christian fundies can get their kicks from watching America, Britain, Russia, or France kill people abroad, that's not really an option for Muslims. They can't cheerlead a state military, which means they're stuck with supporting non-state actors (though note how quickly Islamists turned to ISIS once it showed a determination to create a state).

The one area in which you're on somewhat solid footing is to portray these modern Islamists (or at least some groups of them) as acting on the basis of a global violent ideology. Viewed as an ideology, Islamism stops being so unique. It's literally the Muslim version of fascism, replacing dedication to the state with dedication to Islam itself. And one doesn't have to go back centuries to find violent ideologies killing countless civilians (i.e fascism, communism, even 19th century liberalism).

I'm pretty much convinced that Loki's been indoctrinated enough that it doesn't matter how many more Islamic Terrorist attacks occur, he'll never say that the world has a global Muslim terror problem due to the nature of Islam. Why do you stridently defend it? The religion should be the polar opposite of what liberals are about. (You know pro-secular, pro-gender equality, let's not murder gays etc). Why do liberals constantly look to defend it? And why are you such a sheep that you go right along with it.

It's not like one of us studies violence for a living or anything. Or actually knows some recent history.

It's also odd that you refuse even the slightest restrictions on gun ownership, even if they save thousands of lives a year, but are quite willing to throw the Constitution out the window (as long as you're not personally affected of course) for a chance to save dozens.

Oh great, American imperialism is going to fix all problems all over the world so we don't have to worry about our daily lives.

Guess you can afford that attitude on the back of mega arm's deals with the Saudia.
    Congratulations America

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/....20917B0C6E8C8F

Is this the kind of system you guys want?

Does it sound like it is?

For Hazir, yes. For Lewk, it's probably too discriminating; better just swarm "Muslim neighborhoods" with police officers.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/....20917B0C6E8C8F

Is this the kind of system you guys want?
    From what I read in the article it is not; it puts people in jail for crimes they have not even started preparing. The kind of measures I think of when I say 'disturb their networks' could mean; disable their phones and internet access aggressively. Make clear that you will do the same with the phones and internet of people who help them circumvent. Make the sale of burner phones and anonymous simcards illegal. Fine phonecompanies for selling either to people on a no phone list. Don't give them passports, issue ID cards made invalid for travel, deny them the right to use certain modes of transport. Make it illegal for them to procure certain items that are known to be used so that mere ownership can be used to punish them. There are no doubt other measures one could think of, and hardened criminals will find ways around them, but it makes it a lot harder for the average radicalized retard to get his daily dose of poison.
    Congratulations America

From what I read in the article it is not; it puts people in jail for crimes they have not even started preparing. The kind of measures I think of when I say 'disturb their networks' could mean; disable their phones and internet access aggressively. Make clear that you will do the same with the phones and internet of people who help them circumvent. Make the sale of burner phones and anonymous simcards illegal. Fine phonecompanies for selling either to people on a no phone list. Don't give them passports, issue ID cards made invalid for travel, deny them the right to use certain modes of transport. Make it illegal for them to procure certain items that are known to be used so that mere ownership can be used to punish them. There are no doubt other measures one could think of, and hardened criminals will find ways around them, but it makes it a lot harder for the average radicalized retard to get his daily dose of poison.
    Hazir, could you clarify for me? Who are "they" and "them"? Who is going on these "no phone" and "restricted travel" lists of yours?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Hazir, could you clarify for me? Who are "they" and "them"? Who is going on these "no phone" and "restricted travel" lists of yours?
    Hazir, you appear to be describing some form of restriction on communication/travel/etc. There are already methods in place by various governments that apply some version of this for certain offenses. The key, though, is that they are applied in a legal process that generally involves the government needing to meet a reasonably high standard of proof. There might be some issues with the 'due process' in national security cases - e.g. some evidence being classified, some options for temporary administrative actions prior to resorting to the courts, etc. - but one would certainly not want to hand the government powers to apply this to just anyone at will based on nebulous 'security' needs. There needs to be a process, and it needs to meet a pretty high bar (IMO) to impose the kind of restrictions you envision - after all, you're proposing some variant of house arrest or parole, and those restrictions typically need a criminal conviction.

There is an interesting discussion that arises from the Ha'aretz article Loki references, though. Let's ignore the West Bank-specific issues of military tribunals and administrative detentions and think about the real question here: if you can correctly identify a population of people who are very likely to perform an attack but don't know it yet, what should you do? Obviously no one is suggesting we're talking about precrime a la Minority Report or thought crime a la 1984, but something more prosaic: the more data we have, the easier it is to spot serious threats (terrorist or otherwise) that arise from distributed and hard-to-identify sources.

But let's say they have not done anything illegal yet - they've become radicalized, perhaps they have posted some inflammatory content online, maybe they have legally obtained some weapons or ingredients for e.g. bombs. What is the scope for action by the government against such threats in the absence of a provable crime? Obviously the solution most people settle on is permitting the state greater powers of domestic surveillance over these threats, backed by some sort of appropriate judicial check on its overuse. But we know that effective surveillance is a costly and manpower intensive endeavor and even when such individuals have been flagged as threats (as many of these lone-wolf or low profile threats have been), their actual attack is often hard to prevent. Others might suggest we engage with social services and civil society, trying to use e.g. community engagement and 'deradicalization' efforts to reduce the threat from identified individuals. This is probably not a bad idea, but I think there are still serious questions about its efficacy. Then there are various punitive measures - having a bunch of relatively minor offenses (like 'incitement' or whatever) that allow for jail time or other forms of restriction which don't directly address the threat, but at least keep the individual off the streets for a while. These are attractive, but they risk being overused or used in a discriminatory manner - and also might make borderline cases into full-out radicals based on their persecution complex and (highly negative) interaction with the state.

I honestly don't think there is a good answer to this problem. Formal networks tend to be bigger threats because they have the discipline, training, tradecraft, and resources to commit far larger atrocities. But they are also much better targets because all of their organization and funding makes them highly susceptible to well-honed tools of police and intelligence organizations to identify and disrupt these organizations. Distributed threats that are, at best, only tangentially related to a central organization (and at worst acting completely alone) are lower impact but much harder to prevent. We have yet to develop good tools to address these challenges, despite some of the approaches outlined above.

As I said before, IMO the key is to recognize that the threat, while ubiquitous, is not existential in nature. At some point we as a society just need to realize that these things happen and there's not much more we can do that we aren't already doing to prevent it from happening again. It doesn't mean we give up - obviously we continue to work to prevent such attacks in the framework our society has accepted as reasonable, and obviously we mourn victims of said attacks. Obviously we should try to minimize the effect this has on how our society functions and views the Other, and part of that IMO is by putting the threat into context - not pooh-poohing it, but perhaps recognizing that it is a distressing but generally inconsequential problem. But I don't see these as fundamentally different as a challenge to society than other much greater threats, such as violent crime. Just as with violent crime in the US, there are all sorts of tactical responses to the problem that try to address the proximate issues through a combination of better police work, changes to legislation, criminal justice reform, civil society efforts, public health efforts, etc. But at some point we need to accept that without much broader strategic changes the level of violence will still remain quite high when compared to other developed societies, and that even if we worked on implementing those changes today it would take a long time to see dramatic results.

Terrorism is likely to be a form of (unacceptable) political expression for the foreseeable future. The specific challenge facing the West today is mostly rooted in a violent global ideology based on Islamist thought, yes, and there are probably some big strategic changes that could be put in place to start reducing this threat in the decades to come (though a lot of it is largely independent of what the West does). But even if we were wildly successful in both a tactical and strategic response to Islamist terrorism, it doesn't mean we would suddenly stop suffering from terrorist attacks. The destructive power available to individuals continues to increase, and there are no shortage of violent political ideologies out there: the Troubles in the UK, various far-left groups during the Cold War (and after), various far-right ideologies (e.g. the McVeighs of the world). Most people don't remember that most of the Palestinian terrorists in previous decades (e.g. back in their Munich and hijacking heyday) were avowedly secular, and often socialist in leaning. This is a continuous challenge facing our societies, albeit one that fluctuates with world events. Throwing out reasonable limits on the government like due process and free speech as a tactical response to a single, relatively low impact threat seems unwise.

Hazir, you appear to be describing some form of restriction on communication/travel/etc. There are already methods in place by various governments that apply some version of this for certain offenses. The key, though, is that they are applied in a legal process that generally involves the government needing to meet a reasonably high standard of proof. There might be some issues with the 'due process' in national security cases - e.g. some evidence being classified, some options for temporary administrative actions prior to resorting to the courts, etc. - but one would certainly not want to hand the government powers to apply this to just anyone at will based on nebulous 'security' needs. There needs to be a process, and it needs to meet a pretty high bar (IMO) to impose the kind of restrictions you envision - after all, you're proposing some variant of house arrest or parole, and those restrictions typically need a criminal conviction.

There is an interesting discussion that arises from the Ha'aretz article Loki references, though. Let's ignore the West Bank-specific issues of military tribunals and administrative detentions and think about the real question here: if you can correctly identify a population of people who are very likely to perform an attack but don't know it yet, what should you do? Obviously no one is suggesting we're talking about precrime a la Minority Report or thought crime a la 1984, but something more prosaic: the more data we have, the easier it is to spot serious threats (terrorist or otherwise) that arise from distributed and hard-to-identify sources.

But let's say they have not done anything illegal yet - they've become radicalized, perhaps they have posted some inflammatory content online, maybe they have legally obtained some weapons or ingredients for e.g. bombs. What is the scope for action by the government against such threats in the absence of a provable crime? Obviously the solution most people settle on is permitting the state greater powers of domestic surveillance over these threats, backed by some sort of appropriate judicial check on its overuse. But we know that effective surveillance is a costly and manpower intensive endeavor and even when such individuals have been flagged as threats (as many of these lone-wolf or low profile threats have been), their actual attack is often hard to prevent. Others might suggest we engage with social services and civil society, trying to use e.g. community engagement and 'deradicalization' efforts to reduce the threat from identified individuals. This is probably not a bad idea, but I think there are still serious questions about its efficacy. Then there are various punitive measures - having a bunch of relatively minor offenses (like 'incitement' or whatever) that allow for jail time or other forms of restriction which don't directly address the threat, but at least keep the individual off the streets for a while. These are attractive, but they risk being overused or used in a discriminatory manner - and also might make borderline cases into full-out radicals based on their persecution complex and (highly negative) interaction with the state.

I honestly don't think there is a good answer to this problem. Formal networks tend to be bigger threats because they have the discipline, training, tradecraft, and resources to commit far larger atrocities. But they are also much better targets because all of their organization and funding makes them highly susceptible to well-honed tools of police and intelligence organizations to identify and disrupt these organizations. Distributed threats that are, at best, only tangentially related to a central organization (and at worst acting completely alone) are lower impact but much harder to prevent. We have yet to develop good tools to address these challenges, despite some of the approaches outlined above.

As I said before, IMO the key is to recognize that the threat, while ubiquitous, is not existential in nature. At some point we as a society just need to realize that these things happen and there's not much more we can do that we aren't already doing to prevent it from happening again. It doesn't mean we give up - obviously we continue to work to prevent such attacks in the framework our society has accepted as reasonable, and obviously we mourn victims of said attacks. Obviously we should try to minimize the effect this has on how our society functions and views the Other, and part of that IMO is by putting the threat into context - not pooh-poohing it, but perhaps recognizing that it is a distressing but generally inconsequential problem. But I don't see these as fundamentally different as a challenge to society than other much greater threats, such as violent crime. Just as with violent crime in the US, there are all sorts of tactical responses to the problem that try to address the proximate issues through a combination of better police work, changes to legislation, criminal justice reform, civil society efforts, public health efforts, etc. But at some point we need to accept that without much broader strategic changes the level of violence will still remain quite high when compared to other developed societies, and that even if we worked on implementing those changes today it would take a long time to see dramatic results.

Terrorism is likely to be a form of (unacceptable) political expression for the foreseeable future. The specific challenge facing the West today is mostly rooted in a violent global ideology based on Islamist thought, yes, and there are probably some big strategic changes that could be put in place to start reducing this threat in the decades to come (though a lot of it is largely independent of what the West does). But even if we were wildly successful in both a tactical and strategic response to Islamist terrorism, it doesn't mean we would suddenly stop suffering from terrorist attacks. The destructive power available to individuals continues to increase, and there are no shortage of violent political ideologies out there: the Troubles in the UK, various far-left groups during the Cold War (and after), various far-right ideologies (e.g. the McVeighs of the world). Most people don't remember that most of the Palestinian terrorists in previous decades (e.g. back in their Munich and hijacking heyday) were avowedly secular, and often socialist in leaning. This is a continuous challenge facing our societies, albeit one that fluctuates with world events. Throwing out reasonable limits on the government like due process and free speech as a tactical response to a single, relatively low impact threat seems unwise.
    You are more or less right about what I want. I don't want anything revolutionary new in form, but I want it significantly more aggressive than we see today. We may not be able to stamp out extremism (and however odd that may sound at this point; I don't want to stamp out the non-violent parts of that necessarily), but I want it to be considerably easier to render most of their attempts to spread and create a basis for violent action extremely difficult. I could totally live with this approach being combined with programs that give people a chance to rehabilitate themselves. But I want to end this idea that all is too difficult to act on untill they leave their homes with a gun or a bomb.
    Congratulations America