Thread: The World since Trump

Default The World since Trump

Every day since the election, I've awoken in disbelief. A voice inside me says wake up, this is the new reality, wake the fuck up, pay attention, Donald Trump is POTUS. Wake the fuck up......

I'm trying, but still feel inadequate

....and every day since Donald Trump has been the elected POTUS, I've been trying to make sense of the every day world. I can't do it. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    ....and every day since Donald Trump has been the elected POTUS, I've been trying to make sense of the every day world. I can't do it. Can you?
    Yup.

Ok, the Americans have elected a less than capable President, he may be the worst ever, but it's hardly the end of the world.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Ok, the Americans have elected a less than capable President, he may be the worst ever, but it's hardly the end of the world.
    One uncomfortable fact is he has access to the capability of ending the world in the only way I'm aware of that isn't largely sci-fi/ hyperbole. This in conjunction with his severe incompetence, his clear lack of empathy, and his pathological narcissism is sobering to me. Doesn't it bother you?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    One uncomfortable fact is he has access to the capability of ending the world in the only way I'm aware of that isn't largely sci-fi/ hyperbole. This in conjunction with his severe incompetence, his clear lack of empathy, and his pathological narcissism is sobering to me. Doesn't it bother you?
    Yeah, it bothers me, but then I think about the fact that he has children and grandchildren and probably has no desire to leave them a destroyed planet.
    Congratulations America

A) he doesn't care.
    B) he's incapable of grasping the consequences of his actions.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I don't know about the worst ever *we have had some awful ones, albeit not since the Presidency attained its current level ofpower* but for the most part I agree with you. I get where GGT is coming from to a degree though, as well. I was watching some beginning-of-the-season stuff from the fall on my DVR and I kept getting struck *while buzzing by campaign ads* that Trump hadn't become President yet, then, that the world wasn't so much bleaker.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Well it's a priapism for some portion of the population, so that's a thing. It's discomfiting watching the Obama lovers at my office descend into babbling twitchy conspiracy mongers. Are there parallel workplaces in Real America where anti-Obamites have been visibly shucking their mental well-being like this for the past eight years?

Did you miss the part where belief in a whole range of conspiracy theories (including about Obama's birthplace and religion) was the default view on the right? This is how we ended up with Trump as president.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Well it's a priapism for some portion of the population, so that's a thing. It's discomfiting watching the Obama lovers at my office descend into babbling twitchy conspiracy mongers. Are there parallel workplaces in Real America where anti-Obamites have been visibly shucking their mental well-being like this for the past eight years?
    ... dude. Come on.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Are there parallel workplaces in Real America where anti-Obamites have been visibly shucking their mental well-being like this for the past eight years?

Stop being such a drive-by dumbass.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I don't know about the worst ever *we have had some awful ones, albeit not since the Presidency attained its current level ofpower* but for the most part I agree with you. I get where GGT is coming from to a degree though, as well. I was watching some beginning-of-the-season stuff from the fall on my DVR and I kept getting struck *while buzzing by campaign ads* that Trump hadn't become President yet, then, that the world wasn't so much bleaker.
    Exactly. The whole "thing" is disconcerting. We're now relegated to news vs fake news, facts vs alternative facts, policies vs photo ops, and political propaganda abounds. Drain the swamp my ass. Because we've got a liar and scammer in the White House.....Mitt Romney was right! But there are few Republicans ready or willing to put country first, like they did in the Nixon era.

So I'm sad and confused. Every day means facing a farce from the oval office....and whether it's a planned strategy or accidental ineptitude doesn't matter much: the end result is still bad, ie anxiety and mistrust. I hate the idea that our President has been elected by exploiting confusion and fears, which has been the foundation for ALL of our elections....so this is nothing new, right?

No, this is something new and different. History may not repeat itself, but it always rhymes.

I wonder.....how are universities changing their course studies in Communications, Journalism,International Relations and LAW, etc. since the T-rump era? If degrees in marketing/sales/RE or financial monetization have gained value in the World since Trump, while degrees in Journalism and History have dwindled, we might be in a world of hurt. If a majority of people get their news from social media, we might be doomed.

Much more emphasis on separating good sources from bad sources and good arguments from bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Did you miss the part where belief in a whole range of conspiracy theories (including about Obama's birthplace and religion) was the default view on the right? This is how we ended up with Trump as president.
    Of course, I'm not denying crazy right wing conspiracy theories. But were they so visible and public at your work place for the past eight years? Because I've got people drawing the Kremlin with "submit reports here" on white boards in conference rooms, flyering the office kitchen with left-wing conspiracy screeds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    ... dude. Come on.
    I bring you views from inside the Deep State.

Of course, I'm not denying crazy right wing conspiracy theories. But were they so visible and public at your work place for the past eight years? Because I've got people drawing the Kremlin with "submit reports here" on white boards in conference rooms, flyering the office kitchen with left-wing conspiracy screeds, etc.
    Maybe not in super liberal coastal cities. Some of us don't live in those. I know some very smart people who were claiming Trump was a Democratic plant all the way up to election night.

Dread, I'm sorry but you're a sheltered, myopic, self-centered brat. You live in New York City and you're shocked, shocked to find that things there trend Left? Have you ever tried spending time in towns with less than 300,000 people in them? Say Santa Fe rather than Albuquerque when you visit New Mexico? Grand Junction? Selma? Just the other day I saw this and this while driving home.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Dread, I'm sorry but you're a sheltered, myopic, self-centered brat. You live in New York City and you're shocked, shocked to find that things there trend Left? Have you ever tried spending time in towns with less than 300,000 people in them? Say Santa Fe rather than Albuquerque when you visit New Mexico? Grand Junction? Selma? Just the other day I saw this and this while driving home.
    Honestly, you don't even need to go that far. I will freely admit that my social circle trends leftwards (and those who buck the trend tend not to be conspiracy-minded - much), but if you speak to anyone who isn't a wealthy(ish), highly educated elite you're likely to quickly run into some pretty crazy stuff. Even my passing discussions of politics (okay, typically my listening patiently to others sharing their politics) of urbanites in my deeply blue city and state give me some pretty surprising (and demonstrably nuts) perspectives, on both the left and right. It's not hard if you chat with people in low-end service professions, or working class whites, or whatever. I run into them regularly, and plenty of them hold some decidedly odd views about Obama.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Honestly, you don't even need to go that far. I will freely admit that my social circle trends leftwards (and those who buck the trend tend not to be conspiracy-minded - much), but if you speak to anyone who isn't a wealthy(ish), highly educated elite you're likely to quickly run into some pretty crazy stuff. Even my passing discussions of politics (okay, typically my listening patiently to others sharing their politics) of urbanites in my deeply blue city and state give me some pretty surprising (and demonstrably nuts) perspectives, on both the left and right. It's not hard if you chat with people in low-end service professions, or working class whites, or whatever. I run into them regularly, and plenty of them hold some decidedly odd views about Obama.
    Jesus, I've got a boat load of crazy sitting next to me, down the hall, in the conference room, every friggin' day. And when I visit my family, literally ANYONE in my family, I get much worse. Sometimes I listen to AM radio on the ride home from work the Thursday/ Friday before I go home on Saturday and I literally hear the same crazy mumbo-jumbo parroted out of my parents and siblings. And it's not just from radio - the right wing has various web outlets and Fox news well coordinated and people gladly limit their information intake to one or more of those coordinated sources, thinking they're getting a variety of news. It's a crazy fucking world out there right now - my experience is anyone who thinks the Fairness Doctrine isn't/ wasn't needed is sorely misinformed.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I was referring to office spaces, not bumper stickers. Also, do you think Santa Fe is conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Jesus, I've got a boat load of crazy sitting next to me, down the hall, in the conference room, every friggin' day. And when I visit my family, literally ANYONE in my family, I get much worse. Sometimes I listen to AM radio on the ride home from work the Thursday/ Friday before I go home on Saturday and I literally hear the same crazy mumbo-jumbo parroted out of my parents and siblings. And it's not just from radio - the right wing has various web outlets and Fox news well coordinated and people gladly limit their information intake to one or more of those coordinated sources, thinking they're getting a variety of news. It's a crazy fucking world out there right now - my experience is anyone who thinks the Fairness Doctrine isn't/ wasn't needed is sorely misinformed.
    That's what I'm talking about

I haven't watched much TV recently, but I've noticed new ads sponsored by "The Committee to Defend President Trump", and they refer to "the deep state" as if there's an organized conspiracy aimed directly against Trump. The narrator says 'press one to send a message to Washington', and the scrolling banner says call often. It's weird.

Also, there are audio-only WH press briefings. As if we're living in the WWII radio era, or something. I don't know why all those journalists just can't agree to NOT cover those WH non-briefings, and boycott them altogether if cameras aren't allowed.

I haven't watched much TV recently, but I've noticed new ads sponsored by "The Committee to Defend President Trump", and they refer to "the deep state" as if there's an organized conspiracy aimed directly against Trump. The narrator says 'press one to send a message to Washington', and the scrolling banner says call often. It's weird.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/w...aks-trump.html

Also, there are audio-only WH press briefings. As if we're living in the WWII radio era, or something. I don't know why all those journalists just can't agree to NOT cover those WH non-briefings, and boycott them altogether if cameras aren't allowed.
    I think it's stupid for Trump, then again to play devil's advocate is there any part of the WH press briefings that are deeply visual? The idea of undermining TV news has it's thrills.

The fourth estate is bigger and more important than "social media" that now includes social web sites like Twitter and Facebook.

Journalism is needed most, at a time when newspapers have gone out out of business, and "Fake News" is bandied alongside Reality TV, and POTUS photo-shops his WWE take-down onto CNN, and says no one knows for sure if Russia meddled in our elections, while his golf resorts have fake TIME magazine covers hung on its walls

It's been several months since the election and inauguration. I still awaken "surprised" that Trump is POTUS.

Am I living in a reality TV show?