Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: London fire

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not to mention that while the Tories (along with the Lib Dem for 5 years) have indeed been cutting unnecessary regulation, the have been zero (0, nada, nil) cuts to regulations on fire safety that would have affected this case. It is a rather morbid and twisted sickness that leads one to try and score party political points from a tragedy that is still ongoing.

Incidentally changes to regulations to require sprinklers and to ban cladding like this were both considered and rejected by the Labour government while in power too following a less serious but still significant fire in the late 90s. So this really isn't party political.
    I love the weasely wording. Successive governments were told to add regulations (to get them to the same level as the US and the continent), ones that would almost certainly prevent a tragedy of this scale, and each of those governments refused to act.
    Hope is the denial of reality

That was my point, they all chose not to. Not just the Tories, but the Lib Dems and Labour too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Drove by Grenfell quite accidentally a few days ago on my way back from infiltrating anti-capitalists in the North. Our GPS had given us weird directions and suddenly we were there. Didn't take any photographs out of respect, but did stop to look. Photographs can only capture so much. It's a really stunning and haunting sight to behold.

That said, the next day in the papers was news on about Labour MPs and local(?) activists are trying to get the inquiry leader off the case because he's a straightwhitemale who isn't tasked with finding ways to condemn society at large. The politicization is sickening and indicative of what's wrong in many modern societies.

Not as sickening as your partisan compulsion to distort the truth.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nse-to-tragedy
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Not as sickening as your partisan compulsion to distort the truth.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nse-to-tragedy
    Partisan? You're making my exact point. Those demands are silly and exactly the problem. EG-

The Home Secretary to confirm in writing within 28 days that undocumented survivors are given full UK citizenship forthwith;

The ensure a properly diverse expert panel with suitable experience of equality, diversity and social welfare considerations sit alongside experts on fire, housing needs, health and safety, construction and so on.
    This is the attitude that is infecting too many contemporary institutions. This is a fire investigation. What caused the fire. What can be done to prevent it from happening again. This group BMELawyers4Grenfell is not elected by anyone but get a mighty amount of press coverage and legitimization from the media.

And here I thought the main problem was 70 people getting killed in a horrific way due to gross negligence. But sure, a few activists making silly demands is the REAL problem.

Dread, King of Faux Outrage.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40552451

This is beginning to make me think of the Ankh-Morpork fire brigade.

I suppose if anywhere in London bears similarity to Ankh-Morpork, it'd be Camden. I'm sure I've heard a beggar there mutter bugg'rit bugg'rit bugg'rem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Thought I'd offer up a Spectator piece for once:

Why I'm Constantly Angry Reason #5476
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You just need a break

From the world sucking...