View Poll Results: Contributions vs Privacy

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. I would like my contributions linked to myself

0 0%
  • 2. I would like my contributions linked to my nickname

2 16.67%
  • 3. I would like my contributions to be anonymous (in public)

8 66.67%
  • 4. I don't care either way, just take my money

2 16.67%

Thread: Snap poll about Contributions

Default Snap poll about Contributions

Loki and I are working out a simple set of rules about how to handle the finances of the forum. It's not going to be elaborate and as little bureaucratic as we can make it but the issue of privacy came up a couple of times in relation to contributions.

I'd like to know what the opinions are of people who have either contributed financially already or are pretty certain they are going to contribute.

To make things easy I have made this a poll, in which I would like you to vote.

There
    Congratulations America

Default Re: Snap poll about Contributions

There's no option for "I would like my contributions to be anonymous." note the termination of the sentence there, where-as what you have now is (in public). Also, as Nessus said, I can only see this ending badly, with eventual pissing matches, etc.
    . . .

I can't see any reason why it should be known who donates and who doesn't.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions
    There's no option for "I would like my contributions to be anonymous." note the termination of the sentence there, where-as what you have now is (in public). Also, as Nessus said, I can only see this ending badly, with eventual pissing matches, etc.
    The reason why I put that is that actually 100% anonymous is impossible. Loki and I can strip all the personal info right to the point where only the amount remains when we report, but we need to see the transactions in order to check what happens.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    The reason why I put that is that actually 100% anonymous is impossible.
    Envelope with no return address loaded with either cash, certain unsigned traveler's cheques, or a preloaded gift card that acts as a debit card...

. . .

That's a hell of a lot of effort, Illusions.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    That's a hell of a lot of effort, Illusions.
    Less than you'd think.
    . . .

Amounts should be stripped out - if someone is seriously broke but really wants to dump $2 in, they shouldn't feel bashful (though to be honest given the low funding requirements, we should probably just tell them to keep the money). Similarly, someone who dumps $1000 into this place might not want that known.

To be honest, it's probably best if it were anonymous entirely. Plenty of people contribute in time and effort to this place (notably our admins); to acknowledge only monetary contributions seems silly, and to expand the definition seems difficult and liable to miss someone. Who cares if people know who donated what? Leave it anonymous at least in public.

Ender
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I concur with the Wiggin!

Ok, the general gist is clear. Loki and I will go with anonymous in our reporting.

Wiggin, I suppose you mean, 'names' rather than 'amounts' should be stripped out ? The numbers is what we are reporting.
    Congratulations America

No, I mean amounts. The total of donations should be known, but individual amounts shouldn't be. That way, there won't be any pissing contests on amount. The names aren't particularly important either IMO but maybe some people want the thanks.

Ender
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Agreed with wiggin.

Many other sites deliberately engineer pissing contests to raise more. We're not talking major sums of money, so its not necessary. A total x amount from y people would suffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.