Meal kits, such as the ones from Blue Apron and Amazon, are becoming increasingly popular in the US, and the idea is slowly spreading across the rest of the Western world. Recently, "smart oven" designer Tovala began a major push to break into this market with their "keurig for food" concept. There is no doubt in my mind that this sector is about to explode, even in this age of rampant hipstery foodie-ism gone [organic non-GMO] bananas.

It's not for us. We have a great deal of leisure time, enjoy cooking, can cook quickly when we need/want to and not break the bank doing it. The meal kits I've seen so far have not been appealing to me because they have struck me as being less convenient and less enjoyable while simultaneously being more expensive in terms of $$$ (obviously, time is money, but equally obviously, I'm not earning money every spare minute I have). I find the entire concept frustratingly restrictive even when the food is decent (eg. prepared dishes from our favourite local restaurants that just have to be chucked into the oven for a little while).

But there's no denying that meal kits are going to be huge. I conducted an informal survey of my coworkers and found that around a third could see themselves using a meal kit service. Just under a third of my wife's colleagues already use services that deliver groceries with pre-selected ingredients (that can be used to make dishes from a pre-formed weekly dinner menu). The interest is there. For many people, meal kits can free up a lot of time and substantially increase QoL.

How do you, personally, feel about meal kits?

Have you tried them?

Would you consider using them?

How do you think they'd impact your life?