View Poll Results: Plea Bargaining?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it

    1 50.00%
  • Get rid of it

    1 50.00%
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Plea Bargaining? Keep it or Get Rid of it?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,029

    Default Plea Bargaining? Keep it or Get Rid of it?

    I can't recall if this has had any real discussion on this topic in this forum. What are your thoughts on plea bargaining? I'm deliberating leaving the poll choices as all or nothing.

  2. #2
    Local talking head LittleFuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I can't recall if this has had any real discussion on this topic in this forum. What are your thoughts on plea bargaining? I'm deliberating leaving the poll choices as all or nothing.
    Well, it depends on the context of judicio-penal actions in this country. As long as the system is operating in part the way you want it to operate we need plea-bargaining, both to reduce the load on the courts and on the prison system and to mitigate all the individual excesses you love so dearly. Getting rid of plea bargaining will require getting rid of the behaviors which encourage it (including the coercive pressure from prosecutors to cop a plea rather than fighting for an acquittal) like throwing any and every charge one can think at a suspect of in hopes of getting some to stick. You'd have to throw felony-murder almost entirely out the window, for instance.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,029
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Well, it depends on the context of judicio-penal actions in this country. As long as the system is operating in part the way you want it to operate we need plea-bargaining, both to reduce the load on the courts and on the prison system and to mitigate all the individual excesses you love so dearly. Getting rid of plea bargaining will require getting rid of the behaviors which encourage it (including the coercive pressure from prosecutors to cop a plea rather than fighting for an acquittal) like throwing any and every charge one can think at a suspect of in hopes of getting some to stick. You'd have to throw felony-murder almost entirely out the window, for instance.
    In other words current system: keep plea bargaining.

    Potential Fuzzy ideal state: get rid of it?

  4. #4
    Local talking head LittleFuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,288
    Plea bargaining exists and has developed such a huge role in the current system for a reason. It's a symptom, not the illness. Treating the symptom isn't going to do a damn thing to fix the problem and if plea-bargaining isn't allowed the system will just develop something else which accomplishes the same goals. You need to fix the problems in the system which plea-bargaining is being used to address.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  5. #5
    ======== Timbuk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,774
    What are those problems?

    Why do other western judicial systems operate without plea-bargaining?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    "Scientists raise alarm: bananas can cause EU"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    9,298
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Plea bargaining exists and has developed such a huge role in the current system for a reason. It's a symptom, not the illness. Treating the symptom isn't going to do a damn thing to fix the problem and if plea-bargaining isn't allowed the system will just develop something else which accomplishes the same goals. You need to fix the problems in the system which plea-bargaining is being used to address.
    Same question; what is the ill plea bargaining is supposed to heal? Is it the court system not being able to cope? Or is it unrealistic expectations of lawmakers what you can achieve with legislation? Or something entirely different again?
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •