View Poll Results: Opening Post: Warn For Stupid?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is exactly what we don't want to see here.

8 88.89%
  • No, that's just too harsh and perhaps arbitrary.

1 11.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gunz

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mage View Post
    Furthermore, I find it rather amusing how Cain can say what I just said and "score points" on here; on the other hand, if I do it, oh noes! I'm an ungrateful-self-centered-spoiled-brat who needs a good ol' belt whippin' for not abiding by draconian rules imposed on him by "mature[rer]" and "smart[er]" peers/adults who might know better. Maybe you and the rest of the members don't give me enough credit.
    It's a fact that you'll benefit greatly from learning to accept feedback. Being able to graciously accept feedback is a very valuable skill in life.

Re. the question in the OP, I think we should strive for a future in which guns (with or without lasers ) aren't commonly used to hurt or to kill people. Haven't thought much further than that
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Can we use 'Gunz' to improve the standard of English in our schools?
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Can we use 'Gunz' to improve the standard of English in our schools?
    Yes.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I can't break it down any further, it's already in its quintessential form.

Should handguns be banned by congress? Yes or no? What could be the possible outcome of their decision.

Refusal to accept responsibility. Others did this to your thread? A thread that didn't have the word "hand" in it until post #8, hand and gun being the key words to the whole thing.

Yeah, WE are your problem. And your teacher. Don't forget him/her.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. Maybe you should read what I wrote in my previous posts. A little advice goes a long way.

Should handguns be banned by congress? Yes or no? What could be the possible outcome of their decision.
    Why mess around with constitutional issues when you can simply render guns useless?

How can you render them useless? There's always the black market to buy fully-functional AK-47s.

How can you render them useless? There's always the black market to buy fully-functional AK-47s.
    Outlaw bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Outlaw bullets.
    Been watching West Wing? ^_- (<-- Teal'c face, for the non-mafia).
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Black market?
    At least you know who to arrest.

True. One of the best tools ever invented for getting criminals (and NBA players-HA!) behind bars is gun laws. Sort of like tax evasion codes for Al Capone. It's astonishing how often they pull over some donkey responsible for scores of crimes and get him because he's got a handgun in violation of parole. Seems cheap, but I can't help but be thankful we have those laws.

Blehh, sorry for taking so long here. Went to sleep after posting last night, then tried to respond earlier today when there were only 61 replies and the fracking internet crashed upon me clicking "submit". Summarized version:
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Hence my confusion, and I'm still waiting for an update from NGS as to how the AP or its practice tests have changed...
    To answer this and LF below, and I think Young Mage said it, AP essays are graded on a 1-9 scale, while the overall test is 1-5 (stupid, I know).
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Well if you're talking about AP scoring, there's no 6 out of 9 anyway, since AP scoring is on a five point scale

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    You're going to have to explain the new system to me then, as our practice exams were out of 5 points, as it appears the AP exams are still based on. I've also done those practice essays...and you only have to do one essay now? We had to do 2 out of 3.

I mistook this for being a regular points based test, where his score would be a 66.6, not an AP practice exam.

I actually have taken an AP English test. Around 8 years ago. Literature and Composition. Apparently things have changed since then. It does not appear they have done so for the better.

Well I guess now I'm going to appear like a bitter old man since back when I took the AP's every essay regardless of subject stressed being able to back up your opinion with evidence from either the material provided or from knowledge gleaned from the classes, not appeals to emotion. This was in addition to testing knowledge of the subject the AP was in (ie. English, American History, European History, etc.)

And he keeps bragging too. To people who've probably scored better than him on the exams he's taking.

It also appears, according to wikipedia, that I've taken two of the no longer offered AP exams...
    It hasn't changed much, and I'll use my exhaustion last night as an excuse for misleading you about emotional appeals. Those are just one part of the famed rhetorical triangle (logos, ethos, pathos, d'artagnan) which, while it plays an important role in understanding most anything anybody is saying to you, is not the foundation of an essay; you're right, evidence and support are still--and why wouldn't they be?--the most important part of any essay.

There is no choice as far as essays go on the exam; 3 essays, write em all. They could differ between an analysis of a body of text, a free response, a document-based question, and a compare/contrast between two bodies of text. That's really the only major change, so don't feel so old, man!

Better late than never...

I'm not even going to bother voting. My vote won't make a difference.

I don't know why YM is getting spanked so hard over this thread. Yeah, it was a bad OP, but GG's done a series of those. And yeah, he outlined a silly argument but you guys have just hammered him again and again, calling him stupid, etc etc. Is this how you make newbies feel welcome? He's just a kid ffs, what do you expect? And this poll is just icing on the cake. Man.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I don't know why YM is getting spanked so hard over this thread. Yeah, it was a bad OP, but GG's done a series of those. And yeah, he outlined a silly argument but you guys have just hammered him again and again, calling him stupid, etc etc. Is this how you make newbies feel welcome? He's just a kid ffs, what do you expect? And this poll is just icing on the cake. Man.
    I've been quite nice.

I can be a bitch if you'd like, though. I think you'd be the target, but whatever makes you happy.

Voted no arbitrary warning...seemed obvious, especially given Geeg's threads. I think the apathy toward the thread topic is because we've beaten this to death repeatedly every time Lolli--or anyone else--brings it up.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I've been quite nice.

I can be a bitch if you'd like, though. I think you'd be the target, but whatever makes you happy.
    Yes you have. None of that recent ferocity.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Am I stupid for staying on this forum?

Closer to stupidly brave. Stick around a bit, we might grow on you.

Like fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Closer to stupidly brave. Stick around a bit, we might grow on you.

Like fungus.
    The first part made me feel welcome. The second, not so much.

Think what you guys want. I have the balls to actually post here in order to broaden my horizon because biased teachers and textbooks suck ass.

Don't think you'll escape bias by posting here. I was just being honest about the fungus thing. It's like...we're assholes, but we're your assholes.

The first part made me feel welcome. The second, not so much.

Think what you guys want. I have the balls to actually post here in order to broaden my horizon because biased teachers and textbooks suck ass.
    You should stick around. Don't indulge everyone picking on you so much - ignore, don't reply. Keep talking about what you want to talk about. You could learn a lot here and you'll find most folks here are pretty decent. Cynics. Impatient. Bitchy. Jaded. Catty. But decent. They'll accept you after a while and you'll learn to be thick skinned and you'll grow a barbed wit yourself.
    The Rules

Well with Cain posting here, almost all bias is practically balanced out thanks to his radicallism. Additionally, this site has a couple of die hard conservatives/liberals, some JIHAAAAAAADers, some homosexual-catholic priests, and a few astray. A lot of perspectives are covered.

Seriously, you guys are a horrible influence on me.

Okay, let me clarify. My beef is that this wasn't posted with any kind of article, particular viewpoint or specific question to discuss. It was just one line of poorly-worded text.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Okay, let me clarify. My beef is that this wasn't posted with any kind of article, particular viewpoint or specific question to discuss. It was just one line of poorly-worded text.
    And for that reason he should be warned for stupid.

That, and "gunz."

Homework threads shouldn't be in Debate and Discussion, but the concept of the "WL for stupidity" creates an infinite recursive loop since it is inherently a "stupidity" violation itself.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'm not allowed in the Rules thread anymore so I'll bring it to your attention here, the rules don't define the distinction between sub-forums. Debate is the serious forum, Chat is the piss-in-the-wind forum.